The Market 2021

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're in a classic asset bubble right now and it's across the board. Stocks, real estate, precious metals, and crypto. Even depreciating assets like RVs, trailers and cars are selling at a premium. It seems like a bad time to buy almost anything right now, but it's a great time to sell.

I'm considering selling my pop-up trailer as it seems I could break even at the minimum from my purchase 5 years ago. I might have to go a year or so without a camping trailer, but it might make the most sense dollar-wise

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're in a classic asset bubble right now and it's across the board. Stocks, real estate, precious metals, and crypto. Even depreciating assets like RVs, trailers and cars are selling at a premium. It seems like a bad time to buy almost anything right now, but it's a great time to sell.

I'm considering selling my pop-up trailer as it seems I could break even at the minimum from my purchase 5 years ago. I might have to go a year or so without a camping trailer, but it might make the most sense dollar-wise

sounds like a great idea to me if you can get what you paid before for it. As long as the misses is down to camp without the luxuries that is.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm kind of loading up money now debating what to buy. I've never really understood TSLA, it seems to trade more on man that's cool than on actual fundamentals but I sure wish I'd bought it 5 years ago.

It's way over priced right now with a 1700 P/E and there's totally a bit of Elon/Tesla cult driving it. They're not completely sane. It's like Apple back in the day. :)

Like we saying yesterday though, the tech side is what makes me more optimistic for them. They're so far ahead of most of the other automakers on it. Like Ford is using Rivian's tech in the Mustang. If they can become an EV tech monster in addition to selling cars the growth could be crazy. So there's some promising underpinnings in addition to the cult behavior.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The only thing here that doesn't feel too frothy yet is gold and even bonds to a certain extent. I think the blow off in the bond market will come during the next stock market correction/crash. Some are thinking an insolvency crisis could cause yields to tank and even cause the dollar to explode to the upside. So even the gold market could take a temporary hit. Crazy times.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing here that doesn't feel too frothy yet is gold and even bonds to a certain extent. I think the blow off in the bond market will come during the next stock market correction/crash. Some are thinking an insolvency crisis could cause yields to tank and even cause the dollar to explode to the upside. So even the gold market could take a temporary hit. Crazy times.

Yeah, but the market can remain irrational longer than I can stay solvent especially with all the cash that is being infused into the economy. I wouldn't dare try to short anything. That takes some massive balls.

You mention bonds. Yields are so bad right now that a lot of that money has moved to stocks and precious metals in search of returns.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but the market can remain irrational longer than I can stay solvent especially with all the cash that is being infused into the economy. I wouldn't dare try to short anything. That takes some massive balls.

You mention bonds. Yields are so bad right now that a lot of that money has moved to stocks and precious metals in search of returns.
Yes. Shorting is not for everyone, nor advised for the average investor. Nonetheless can provide nice hedging opportunities.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's way over priced right now with a 1700 P/E and there's totally a bit of Elon/Tesla cult driving it. They're not completely sane. It's like Apple back in the day. :)

Like we saying yesterday though, the tech side is what makes me more optimistic for them. They're so far ahead of most of the other automakers on it. Like Ford is using Rivian's tech in the Mustang. If they can become an EV tech monster in addition to selling cars the growth could be crazy. So there's some promising underpinnings in addition to the cult behavior.

Yeah to be clear I'm not a Musk fan but I'm not knocking Tesla at all, I just don't understand it enough to feel safe buying it. Which obviously was a huge mistake on my part.

With crypto I don't have a clue, I'm amazed at what Bitcoin is doing right now. It just seems way too easy to convince people you need to get in you need to get in I still don't understand it enough to grasp what's driving it up beyond simple hey it's going up I need to get in. It seems like a classic pyramid but some very intelligent people insist it's not. It played a huge role of course in driving the price of SQ up for example

In general I try to stay away from things I don't understand, and it doesn't always benefit me to do so!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah to be clear I'm not a Musk fan but I'm not knocking Tesla at all, I just don't understand it enough to feel safe buying it. Which obviously was a huge mistake on my part.

With crypto I don't have a clue, I'm amazed at what Bitcoin is doing right now. It just seems way too easy to convince people you need to get in you need to get in I still don't understand it enough to grasp what's driving it up beyond simple hey it's going up I need to get in. It seems like a classic pyramid but some very intelligent people insist it's not. It played a huge role of course in driving the price of SQ up for example

In general I try to stay away from things I don't understand, and it doesn't always benefit me to do so!

On bitcoin I stay away from it because I do understand it. ;)

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I sold Twitter a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bitcoin is down 15% today, just crushing the late arrivers. It's not a currency yet. It's not an alternative to gold yet.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I sold Twitter a few weeks ago.

LOL... Sure... because shutting down the Trump freak-show is gonna cost them... LOL... if anything, their branding and image will be dramatically enhanced by their actions.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL... Sure... because shutting down the Trump freak-show is gonna cost them... LOL... if anything, their branding and image will be dramatically enhanced by their actions.

They're down 6.5% today. Like it or not, Trump generated huge engagement from his supporters and even more from his haters. Twitter attracts some of the most fervent activity from both sides of the aisle. Losing a subset of your user base and a huge attraction for engagement is not good for business. You can argue ethics and morals all you want, but that is not the point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They're down 6.5% today. Like it or not, Trump generated huge engagement from his supporters and even more from his haters. Twitter attracts some of the most fervent activity from both sides of the aisle. Losing a subset of your user base and a huge attraction for engagement is not good for business. You can argue ethics and morals all you want, but that is not the point.

The NASDAQ is down 150 points at present... so, yea, Twitter is down along with 99.9% of the rest of the NASDAQ. But good luck in your efforts to try to time the market. ;)

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NASDAQ is down 150 points at present... so, yea, Twitter is down along with 99.9% of the rest of the NASDAQ. But good luck in your efforts to try to time the market. ;)

The Nasdaq is down 1.14%. Twitter is down 6.5% What's you point? We're not taking about politics here. I don't care if you support Twitter's decision. That's irrelevant to the conversation. This is not P&R

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Nasdaq is down 1.14%. Twitter is down 6.5% What's you point? We're not taking about politics here. I don't care if you support Twitter's decision. That's irrelevant to the conversation. This is not P&R

If you're a day trader, your points have merit... otherwise, check back in 6 mos.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're a day trader, your points have merit... otherwise, check back in 6 mos.

I do long term disciplined investing in my retirements accounts where I do not dabble in individual stocks. With a very small percentage of my investable assets, I dink around with individual stocks in a non-retirement account.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you could bring political discourse to a conversation about finances. The board has really rubbed off on you.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"If they hate him, why do they listen?"

"Most common answer, 'I want to see what he says next.'"

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did I bring up Twitter and how gleeful I am that I sold it? o_O

I'm happy I sold a stock before bad financial news was released. It doesn't take a genius to see how the Trump banning, subsequent backlash and loss of engagement would hurt them in the short term and cause their stock price to fall. I'd be open to buying them again after they likely report another drop in daily active users like they did in October and saw their shares fall 18%.

As an investor, I saw Twitter as a growth opportunity. A significant drop in daily active users is not good for shareholders. You can argue, that it's good for the country, but that would be a conversation for P&R.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose