The "I was wrong" thread

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I missed on Aaron Rodgers. I also like Leinart. I say like because few remember how good he was as a rookie. That said he was caught up in Cardinal craziness. The Cards lost a game to the Bears they should have won. Dennis Green had an on-camera crack up. The Cards fired their OC, made the QB coach the OC. Then at the end of the year Green was fired. So new coach, new OC comes in. Leinart wasn’t their guy. He knew it. Things quickly went south. Leinart was immature and handled it all poorly, but I always believed if Green stayed, Leinart would have made it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I missed on Aaron Rodgers. I also like Leinart. I say like because few remember how good he was as a rookie. That said he was caught up in Cardinal craziness. The Cards lost a game to the Bears they should have won. Dennis Green had an on-camera crack up. The Cards fired their OC, made the QB coach the OC. Then at the end of the year Green was fired. So new coach, new OC comes in. Leinart wasn’t their guy. He knew it. Things quickly went south. Leinart was immature and handled it all poorly, but I always believed if Green stayed, Leinart would have made it.
I'm not so sure. KW was so much better at the time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Plummer
Leinart
Rosen
Buddy (initially - then quickly saw my folly)

that’s it. Otherwise I have always been right.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I generally don't get involved in crowning any draft picks. That just seems like a sure fire way to be wrong.

I'll go to bat for or against guys before the draft. Like I'm not a fan of CeeDee, I really like Becton, I don't like Gross-Matos etc but when it comes to our picks I rarely say "this guy will be great". The fact that Keim picked them automatically makes me dubious.

I'm more of a value guy. For example, I thought Isabella was a terrible pick in the 2nd, he was a late 3rd or early 4th guy all day long. He might come good but the spot was bad value. Opposite with Butler, I thought in the 4th was great value. Again he might not work out but the value was good based on his skill set coming out.

But when you consider we could have had DK in the 2nd and Mack Wilson in the 4th everything seems crap.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have bashed the offensive line for years and thought that it would be the reason KM got hurt and go on IR at some point during his rookie year.

Man I am so glad to be wrong about that!!

Here’s hoping that the O line continues to improve and we don’t revert to the bad old days of them playing like matadors on roller skates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This again. I think I have stated when I am wrong A LOT. There are at least three threads in the chronicles of ASFN that have all mine......there are a lot.

I will always go to Alan Branch, thought he was the missing piece back in the day.

I had "no issue" with drafting Levi Brown.

Definitely a Leinart supporter.

Wanted Whiz's old D.C. ?Norton? as a head coach before Arians and Bowles.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of shame that I own

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I didn't want to draft Kyler and I loved the Leinart pick

I liked the Wadsworth pick too, I bought in to the "next Bruce Smith" hype.

There are plenty more but those are the biggest ones.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This again. I think I have stated when I am wrong A LOT. There are at least three threads in the chronicles of ASFN that have all mine......there are a lot.

I will always go to Alan Branch, thought he was the missing piece back in the day.

I had "no issue" with drafting Levi Brown.

Definitely a Leinart supporter.

Wanted Whiz's old D.C. ?Norton? as a head coach before Arians and Bowles.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of shame that I own
I will forever take issue with you having had no issue with Levi.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Off the top of my head.
I was wrong on:

Leinart-I still say he would’ve been very good until his 2 shoulder injuries that led him to become Checkdown Matt

Haasan Riddick

Dorian Johnson

Harlan Miller

Earl Watford
Senio Kelemente

Quan Sturdivant

O’Brien Schoefield

Beanie Wells (injuries)

Early Doucet

Kevin Kolb

Adam Snyder

Duane Starks

Buddy Ryan

Marc Trestman

Gary Clark

TJ Logan

Rodney Hunter

Jamir Miller

Steve Keim

Andre Wadsworth (injury)

Rob Housler

JJ Arrington

Levar Fisher

Todd Bowles

Tim Rosenbach (lost his desire)

David Boston (could’ve been a HOFer)

I was right on:
Levi Clown (my voodoo doll got him waived the day after I bought it in Nawlins)

Robert Bustdiche (called it before draft)

Ricky Proehl (terrible move)

Chad Williams

Brandon Williams

Kurt Warner (I knew he still had in preseason game 1 against Dallas)

Troy Nickleglass

Blogan Thomas

Jay Novacek :bang:

Ryan Williams

Jim Dray (I still never got some of the luv on this board for this guy)

Larry Legend (I knew the day we drafted him he was a HOFer)

Los Dansby

Mike McCoy

Steve Wilkes

Garrison Hearst (cards tried to sneak him thru waivers to save Mr B $$$ & got robbed)

Michael Pittman (lets make up for it & draft his son to play WR lol)

Terrell Suggs

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
TBD

Murray-I still say he’s going to be one of the top 2 Cardinals QBs in their history once he retires, barring injury

Murphy-solid rookie season, but I still don’t like drafting a slot CB with the 33rd pick of the draft

Isabella-if they ever use him correctly & in most of the passing downs I still say he has a good career

Allen-does he belong more on the outside than in the traffic inside? I say yes

Butler-big upside

Keesean-runs great routes & has a future if used. He can move the chains

Gallaird-why does Keim keep drafting centers & yet doesn’t play them? I still say our offense will be better off without Shipley & are making a major mistake by not moving on

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wrong:
Josh Rosen
Beanie Wells
Jonathan Cooper
Andy Isabella (still hope)
Matt Leinert
Zane Gonzalez
Ricky Seals Jones
David Boston (thought he would be a star)
Leonard Davis (played well in Dallas)
Thomas Jones (played well other places)
Logan Thomas (joke, sorry couldn't resist)
Ryan Williams
Quite sure there's many more.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wadsworth. I thought Jonathan Cooper was going to be an all pro. I was super stoked for Leinart. I wanted Rivers instead of Fitz.....gulp.... Thomas Jones was going to solve our run game problem....
Andre Wadsworth was a stud. Had he not had cartilage issues in his knee.........? Then had the controversial "micro fracture" surgery. He was never the same after that. That DL was amazing. Eric Swann, Mark Smith & Wadsworth in 98. Can't remember the 4th guy on that DL though?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought letting Golden go and signing Suggs was a good move. I thought Golden lost his juice after the ACL.

To be fair I didn't become a Cards fan until around 2012 (I'm British, that's my excuse) so I missed out on A LOT of opportunities to be wrong.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Alan Branch

wow

Cards have had some terrible outcomes on high DL picks:

Wendell Bryant, Alan Branch, Nkemdiche

all had A+ physical tools and size, but questionable work ethic / commitment issues that caused them to fall

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I was definitely off on Leinart and Michael Floyd.

I’m really not a huge fan of this because there are often extenuating circumstances that preclude our ability to project a player’s career. For example, too many people listed Wadsworth when his career was destroyed by knee injuries. Same could be said about Cooper

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Andre Wadsworth was a stud. Had he not had cartilage issues in his knee.........? Then had the controversial "micro fracture" surgery. He was never the same after that. That DL was amazing. Eric Swann, Mark Smith & Wadsworth in 98. Can't remember the 4th guy on that DL though?
Simeon Rice. That line was awesome.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
- Saw Ryan Williams make a move in the Red & White game and was convinced we had a franchise RB

- Thought Andre Ellington was the next Jamal Charles

- Thought Beanie Wells was the next Deuce McAllister

- Thought the David Johnson extension was a good move

- Don’t think we should re-sign Kenyon Drake

So based on my history of RB takes we should absolutely re-sigh Drake!