The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Phrazbit, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Marquese Chriss is now listed as their starting PF. No wonder they don't want to give up PJ.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This will be interesting to see how it plays out with the two former Suns.

3. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Well, he's not wrong.

4. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

AzStevenCal likes this.
  5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

2 comments Warriors related. The NBA has GOT to do something about players initiating contact to get fouls on 3 point attempts. In the Suns and lakers games I think Curry got fouled shooting a 3 a total of 5 times, and 2 of them were legit. Against the Lakers he shot the ball came down and stepped to his right to draw the foul(think it was Kuzma). Aside from being horrible, if they're trying to prevent injuries by keeping defenders out from under shooters(which I agree with) what about keeping shooters from getting under defenders intentionally to draw fouls?

And, either they're just getting a couple of refs with an agenda or the NBA is planning on cracking down on illegal screens and the Warriors are the target. Steph has picked up I think 4 fouls, 2 each game in the last 2 for screens. One against the Suns I thought was a good call but it led to a T and a ejection because the first one seemed bad. Then they did it again against the Lakers and I think Durant got a T for yelling about it. Seems like a determined effort to clean that up, which is fine as long as they at the same time clean up the grab the shooter and prevent him from getting around the screen which happens to Curry just as often. I remember a game last year where the warriors post game showed a hastily put together clip of at least 6 times where the defender just grabbed Curry to defend off a screen, and only 1 of the 6 was called a foul. I think it's why Curry is screening the way he does he's so used to being grabbed and not get a call, he's just decided to do it himself.

I thought the Lakers looked really improved in the bit I watched last night, Ingram's shot looks much better. Lonzo looked like someone who hadn't played in 6 months, couple of bad passes early, but the tempo visibly sped up when he got in, and then stayed that way with Rondo. His shot looked better andhe's obviously been working out the kid is ripped in the upper body now. He will get less minutes this year obviously with Rondo, but he looks to be improved. I hated losing Javale McGee and the first quarter last night showed why, running the court for lob dunks, blocks, intimidation, he was just the perfect role playing 5 for the Warriors. Damian Jones is big and has athletic ability but he's not nearly as far along as a player, I actually prefer Looney or Bell at the 5 right now but it sounds like Jones will start.

6. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

I saw that exchange in the Suns game and thought it had Popovich written all over it. One of his techniques with the Spurs has always been to break the rules in subtle ways, then throw a fit if an official calls them on it. Especially if you're one of the league's marquee teams, those repeated outbursts are eventually going to get into the officials' heads and make them question their judgment. Lo and behold, eventually the team starts getting away with it more consistently. If a later referee should screw up and make the call that others have decided they won't, he'll face an even greater wrath.

Kerr learned that trick from Popovich and is training the Warriors accordingly. And the broadcasters are in on it too: The Warriors' guys went on and on about how the official who made the calls was new and didn't know what he was doing. The fact that he was right was irrelevant.

Poop Head and AzStevenCal like this.
  7. Russ Smith

That's one of the reasons I didn't necessarily like getting Boogie Cousins. they already had Draymond, Kerr has been getting more T's, and Durant has too. Steph even got into the act last year, now you add in Cousins and there's a real risk of a boy who cried wolf thing where they have so many guys complaining so much, they start to see backlash.

I have no problem with illegal screens being called and Steph does at times do it, I just think if you crack down on the screens but allow the defenders to grab the guy the screen is for, it's going to have an impact they're not expecting. They want free flowing offense, that's not what they're going to get.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Right?!? Curry had a hold of the defenders arm for goodness sake. It was the epitome of a good call.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Hey welcome to the club. Suns best teams have historically been grabbed, bumped, etc. offensive teams get beaten up. At least the warriors ply in a time when the rules more favor the offense.

10. Russ Smith

I honestly don't think kerr was arguing that call he was arguing the earlier one and the way he felt the young ref was making an issue of it while two veteran refs weren't.

I think that's why he went off like he did out on the court saying I don't want to be here. It was a good call, he just didn't like the earlier one and some of the stuff that one ref had called.

I don't know why Steph argued the call at all it was clearly an illegal screen.

11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I hate to say it, but if Mike James has a punchable face, so does Steph Curry. Love his game, but his personna really annoys me.

12. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Curry looks like he's 12 or 13 years old. He needs to be grounded and his allowance taken away, not punched.

13. JCSunsfan

He behaves like a junior higher too. His celebrations are very childish.

Poop Head likes this.
  14. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

15. JCSunsfan

So it begins.