The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embiid is a real punk. He flopped, pretending to get an elbow from Drummond causing Drummond to get ejected with his 2nd tech.

The NBA really needs to come down on flopping. Especially the egregious incidents. I think suspensions are the only way to fix it.

They should hand out technicals after the fact. I know it won't hurt them in the moment but that could lead to suspensions for players down the line for accumulating too many. I think in cases like Drummond getting T'd up for Embiid's flopping should also move the technical to Embiid's total rather than Drummond also. I remember reading that all technicals cost players, it's not a huge amount but it's something like 2500 for each one, which is something else to keep some from flopping. They won't cost their team a point but they will get that technical, lose some cash, and possibly face a suspension if they keep it up. Guys like Draymond Green would need to quit flopping altogether since he typically hits the tech limit already.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should hand out technicals after the fact. I know it won't hurt them in the moment but that could lead to suspensions for players down the line for accumulating too many. I think in cases like Drummond getting T'd up for Embiid's flopping should also move the technical to Embiid's total rather than Drummond also. I remember reading that all technicals cost players, it's not a huge amount but it's something like 2500 for each one, which is something else to keep some from flopping. They won't cost their team a point but they will get that technical, lose some cash, and possibly face a suspension if they keep it up. Guys like Draymond Green would need to quit flopping altogether since he typically hits the tech limit already.

The player and team need to be punished and the only way to do that is a suspension with progressive increases for repeat offenders. Nobody wants that soccer crap in the game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is awesome. Glad he has a sense of humor about it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Denver wins again, 4-0 with a win over the Warriors and the best defensive rating in the league. Our loss to them is becoming less distressful.
On a whim I decided to look at Strength of Schedule so far into the season and Phoenix has had the hardest road so far. Granted, it's 3/4 games so playing against a team that's currently 4-0 and 3-1 heavily skews that but that might put some minds at ease.

http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Like someone said. "Is 30 the new 20?" These number cannot possibly stay this high, I wouldn't think.
Same thing happened last year. These guys will come back down to earth. In fact over the past 10 seasons the average number of players to score 25+ PPG has been like 6-7. It will likely be close to that number again.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steph Curry 10-12 on 3's with 46 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Just made a 35 footer, didn't even jump on the shot.

Unreal

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
51 at the end of 3 but with a big lead he probably doesn't get back in. He made about a 32 footer to get to 31 but then missed a couple of absolute bombs with Washington basically face guarding him to end the quarter.

Career high is 54, unlikely he gets a chance. 11-16 on 3's, NBA record is 13 held by... Steph.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm still not sure the refs got that whole thing right. Steph hit the 3, Beal fouled him. If you watch the replay Markieff Morris pushes with 2 hands both Jordan Bell and Beal. So he pushed Beal into Steph for the foul, and Bell fell backwards and hit his head on a chair. They reviewed it looking for a flagrant on Morris but wound up with just a common foul on Beal. I kind of think they should have called a flagrant on Morris, had Bell not Steph shoot the FT, and then Warriors ball.

Shortly after that he hit one that had to be 34-35 feet, after the play one of the announcers said "he's at the hashmark and he didn't even leave his feet."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why does he take his shirt off?

That's his thing. Apparently he did it during the Cav's title parade, took his shirt off and ran around like he didn't know time was still on the clock, and "Shirtless JR Smith" became something like "Hoodie Melo". It doesn't really make that much sense, it's sort of a trademark of his now and something he's known for.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why does he take his shirt off?

That's his thing. Apparently he did it during the Cav's title parade, took his shirt off and ran around like he didn't know time was still on the clock, and "Shirtless JR Smith" became something like "Hoodie Melo". It doesn't really make that much sense, it's sort of a trademark of his now and something he's known for.

It became viral enough for even the former President to get involved with it

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Elfrid Payton with 20 pts, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 3 steals on 7/11 shooting in their win over the Clippers the other night. Hit a clutch 3 as well.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jimmy Butler hates KAT to a comical extent. Towns almost never sees the ball when Butler is on the court with him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Houston is trying to make a Brooklyn offer to Minnesota for Butler. 4 future first rounders are being discussed. 2019, 21, 23, and 25. Crazy!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Houston is trying to make a Brooklyn offer to Minnesota for Butler. 4 future first rounders are being discussed. 2019, 21, 23, and 25. Crazy!

Crazy? I think I'd say smart. It was incredibly stupid on New Jersey's part to trade so much for 2 stars that were over 35 and clearly on their last legs. But at least 3 of the Houston picks will be in the late 20's, not much different than 2nd rounders. The 2025 pick might have real value but that seems like pocket change for a real chance to win it all this season. I do think Morey outsmarted himself on the Chris Paul contract as he's 33 with a history of injuries but Butler should have a good 5 years left in him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave