Thanking God this morning that I'm not a Falcons fan

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
We've had our fair share of gut-wrenching losses, including our own SB loss, but my God. If I were a Falcons fan, I'd be in the fetal position for a month.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't know why their loss was any worst then ours to Pitt was. Plus I had to fly back at 5 AM the next morning after about 3 hours of sleep.

OP
OP
New Mexico

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I don't know why their loss was any worst then ours to Pitt was. Plus I had to fly back at 5 AM the next morning after about 3 hours of sleep.

Because they blew a 25 point lead with 16 minutes to go. Nobody on earth thought they could possibly lose the game at that point. Even Brady said he had a hard time believing they could still win. It has to be one of the biggest choke jobs ever.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They blew a 25 point lead with 16 minutes to go.

That's not only worse than our loss, but it's the worst loss in SB history.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
They blew a 25 point lead with 16 minutes to go.

That's not only worse than our loss, but it's the worst loss in SB history.
Yep. This morning I told my boss that I feel his pain because we were up in our Super Bowl too. But after I walked away I told my helper, "but we weren't up 25 points."

Tuis post was sent from mu smartphine so please excuwe any typos or gramatical errors

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Because they blew a 25 point lead with 16 minutes to go. Nobody on earth thought they could possibly lose the game at that point. Even Brady said he had a hard time believing they could still win. It has to be one of the biggest choke jobs ever.

Anybody that thought that game was over is/was a New England hater. I fall in to that category myself, but I just knew some how TB would bring them back into the game. Now the conspiracy theorist out there will say the refs made those calls to let New England back in the game.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Anybody that thought that game was over is/was a New England hater. I fall in to that category myself, but I just knew some how TB would bring them back into the game. Now the conspiracy theorist out there will say the refs made those calls to let New England back in the game.

Overall, I thought the officiating was good. The only glitch I could remember was the holding call (more like a chokehold) against Atlanta, where the Atlanta receiver was brought down with a face mask. Those penalties should have offset, and Atlanta should have kept the ball for another 4 downs. But, there was a play (around 6 mins in the 3rd quarter) where Dion Lewis stepped out of bounds, yet the clock kept running another 30 sec. I was shocked no one from the Patriots noticed it.

I had a visitor from another country at my home last night. This guy has a good understanding of how the game is played, but not a good understanding of the game itself. He thought the game was over at half time. I told him, "good teams show up in the 2nd half, because they know how to adjust." Told him to watch the Patriots come back... I had my doubts 1/2 way through the 3rd, but still thought they would win this game. Truly a remarkable franchise- best ever in the history of the league.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought they could lose..when Atl started to squander points (It wasn't just at the end; they started doing it I think it was midway thru the 2Q).

All you needed to was look at the 4Q clock to know that Atl left the door opened wide enough to let NE sneak thru.

(Not that I'm right most of the time; just this time - stuff like that used to happen a lot vs. the old Cardinals. As Card fans, we came to expect it).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't matter to me. They were equally disappointing if you ask me. We had the lead to only to see if disappear.

there is MUCH more shame in theirs, IMO. Not to mention, they were so dominant throughout the game. I don't know about anyone else, but most of the Super Bowl was pretty damn painful for me as a Cardinals fan. We went down immediately 10-0, clawed back in it at 10-7 then gave up one of the worst plays ever... and were down 20-7. Coming back seemed like a miracle and got our hopes WAYYYYY up, especially after Larry's TD, but the Falcons fans were thinking all game that this was theirs. And they'll always be tagged with the biggest choke in NFL History.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing the Super Bowl sucks period. I feel the pain of Falcons fans today.

Walking out of that stadium in Tampa and being stuck in traffic for hours surrounded by Steeler fans celebrating was the longest night of my life.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards lost on a fluke interception. They showed character to hang in and take a late lead. The Falcons lost on one of the worst coaching decisions I've see. With a first down inside the 25 they could have run the ball 3 times and they had one of the best money kickers in the game. The Pats would have seen the clock go to 2 minutes or use I
P all their timeouts. Instead the Falcons run wide and lose 2 yards. I figured okay, more time pressure on the Pats. Then they decide to pass. They get sacked, but they're still in Bryant's range and I trust him. Just run it forward. Instead they try to pass again and get a penalty that takes the game out of Bryant's range. You can blame the OC, but the head coach has headphones. He should be all over the call when the game's on the line!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey you know what tho, kudos to the Falcons and specifically Matt Ryan for being graceful in defeat, even after what happened.

It was really refreshing compared to last year with Kimberly Newton throwing a tantrum and taking his ball and going home.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey you know what tho, kudos to the Falcons and specifically Matt Ryan for being graceful in defeat, even after what happened.

It was really refreshing compared to last year with Kimberly Newton throwing a tantrum and taking his ball and going home.

+1

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Think about this... This NFL season had one of the all time worst games in NFL history in the Cards/Hawks 6-6 tie and possibly the best game in NFL history with the Superbowl.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thrilled that the Falcons were up big and when it was 28-3 I thought this is awesome. Then it hit me.......this will make the Patriots come back the biggest ever and give them yet another feather in their cap. I kept trying to suppress that feeling and even though the lead was down to 16 points I kept saying the Pats need to score 2 TD's and two 2 point conversions, surely the Falcons can get a stop in their somewhere or just kick a FG.

So yes the Falcons suffered the biggest choke job ever and if this is how the Cards lost a SB I would be comatose.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled that the Falcons were up big and when it was 28-3 I thought this is awesome. Then it hit me.......this will make the Patriots come back the biggest ever and give them yet another feather in their cap. I kept trying to suppress that feeling and even though the lead was down to 16 points I kept saying the Pats need to score 2 TD's and two 2 point conversions, surely the Falcons can get a stop in their somewhere or just kick a FG.

So yes the Falcons suffered the biggest choke job ever and if this is how the Cards lost a SB I would be comatose.

I don't know if I could ever watch again. I really don't. How do you EVER watch a game and have confidence in your team at that point?

That was easily the most cruel loss I've ever seen for any fan base in any sport.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I could ever watch again. I really don't. How do you EVER watch a game and have confidence in your team at that point?

That was easily the most cruel loss I've ever seen for any fan base in any sport.

I have a friend who was a Houston Oiler fan in 1993 when they had their epic meltdown against Buffalo. This morning he told me he could finally let it go because now he's witnessed something worse.

RINGLESS

Veteran
Reaction score
Think about this... This NFL season had one of the all time worst games in NFL history in the Cards/Hawks 6-6 tie and possibly the best game in NFL history with the Superbowl.

Guess it's all perspective. I really enjoyed both games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who was a Houston Oiler fan in 1993 when they had their epic meltdown against Buffalo. This morning he told me he could finally let it go because now he's witnessed something worse.

Man... that's a LOOOOOONG time to be holding on to that game.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... that's a LOOOOOONG time to be holding on to that game.

Sports pain has no time limit, cheese. You know it because you are living it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson