KD... A Changing Perspective

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've been pretty vocal about my concerns with KD, even tossing out (half-kidding) that he might be the Suns MadBum! However, as the games have ticked along, I think I'm gaining more clarity as to what we actually have with KD.
Admittedly, my expectations were likely misguided. I actually thought acquiring KD meant that HE would be our #1. And as we've seen, especially in the post season, that is certainly not the case.

So, his age (closer to 35 than 34), his 16 seasons and injuries all not-withstanding, perhaps it's fair to view this version of KD in similar fashion to his time at Golden State. Steph remain the top dog and KD was a 1-B to Steph's 1-A. In those 3 seasons, KD averaged 26 PPG shooting 52%. In this post-season, KD is averaging 28 PPG while shooting 52%.

Strictly using the eye-test, this current KD seems slower and a bit less athletic than the Golden State KD... However, he remains incredibly efficient and offers - clearly, a massive boost to Book, by sucking the defense his way and providing more room for Book than he's ever had in his career.

Anyway... at least for me, I've come around and have adjusted what was, a significant misperception on my part. KD is the 1-B to Book. Far better than the standard fare 2nd option...but clearly not the #1 as that is, rightly so, reserved for Book.

I still am not at all convinced about this teams' ability to win it all this year. However, I can see how the tandem of Book & KD offers tremendous upside. Should be exciting to watch the rest of the way!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty vocal about my concerns with KD, even tossing out (half-kidding) that he might be the Suns MadBum! However, as the games have ticked along, I think I'm gaining more clarity as to what we actually have with KD.
Admittedly, my expectations were likely misguided. I actually thought acquiring KD meant that HE would be our #1. And as we've seen, especially in the post season, that is certainly not the case.

So, his age (closer to 35 than 34), his 16 seasons and injuries all not-withstanding, perhaps it's fair to view this version of KD in similar fashion to his time at Golden State. Steph remain the top dog and KD was a 1-B to Steph's 1-A. In those 3 seasons, KD averaged 26 PPG shooting 52%. In this post-season, KD is averaging 28 PPG while shooting 52%.

Strictly using the eye-test, this current KD seems slower and a bit less athletic than the Golden State KD... However, he remains incredibly efficient and offers - clearly, a massive boost to Book, by sucking the defense his way and providing more room for Book than he's ever had in his career.

Anyway... at least for me, I've come around and have adjusted what was, a significant misperception on my part. KD is the 1-B to Book. Far better than the standard fare 2nd option...but clearly not the #1 as that is, rightly so, reserved for Book.

I still am not at all convinced about this teams' ability to win it all this year. However, I can see how the tandem of Book & KD offers tremendous upside. Should be exciting to watch the rest of the way!
I too thought Durant would still be a little more spry/athletic, but he is still pretty damn incredible and the way he’s opened up the world for Booker to just destroy people is really impressive.

Like you, I’m also still dubious we win this whole thing because our bench is just so not championship level, but I think with a couple pick ups in the off-season and hopefully making Okogie do nothing but shoot corner 3s over the summer will give us the depth needed for one all in title run next year when these guys all really learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns haven't had time to fully acclimate Kevin Durant into the offense.

Let's see if Durant gets more involved as time goes on. He had 31 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists last night, not too shabby.

We have already seen what Devin Booker can do.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Durant is already a fav suns of mine :) dude is an insane highlight reel!! And paired with dbook wow lol 2 shot creators!

Big test for durant vs den lets see how he performs :)

Also cool how into the gm durant mom is at gms when espn etc shows her

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I get where you’re coming from. I also expected more dynamic KD. But then the game ends and I’m shocked by how good his numbers are . . . as a second (and often ignored) option. I still think we will see fireworks from him eventually. But books our superstar.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
28/7/6 on 52% overall, 45.8% from 3 and 95% FT.

That’s an insane star line for a guy still ingratiating himself into the team.
Funny thing is if the stat lines were switched between Book and KD for these playoffs I don't think anyone would be complaining about Booker. Bottom line is that what they are doing between the two of them is pretty damn impressive.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conversely my opinion on the trade for KD has evolved. I was 100% for it at the time but now I agree with those that see all those picks being added as an overpay. 1-2 picks / swaps + the twins was plenty
Yeah. It was that or no deal. So it was either status quo or pull the trigger. In an ideal world, we would have paid less, but if we win a championship, we can figure the rest out later.

The idea that Booker is the 1a and KD is the 1b rather than vice versa, is an intriguing development. There are some advantages. Our 1a is younger and more athletic, while our 1b won't have so much physical pressure. KD plays a style that does not seem to take as much toll on his body. I am hopeful for his longevity. I cannot imagine why I would have thought he would not have slowed a 1/4 step or so given his Achilles injury.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think Denver is going to come out doubling and tripling Devin Booker - because him dropping 40 racks night in night out will negate everything the Joker is doing. Nuggets can't have Joker vs Booker be a wash, that would benefit the Suns because it's KD > Murray all day

Speaking of KD, I think this series could very well be his official landing party. If the Nuggets primarily concentrate on stopping Booker I imagine KD taking issue with that. I can see KD taking over. I can also see KD involving Ayton big time... do I smell a triple double for Kevin Durant??

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Denver is going to come out doubling and tripling Devin Booker - because him dropping 40 racks night in night out will negate everything the Joker is doing. Nuggets can't have Joker vs Booker be a wash, that would benefit the Suns because it's KD > Murray all day

Speaking of KD, I think this series could very well be his official landing party. If the Nuggets primarily concentrate on stopping Booker I imagine KD taking issue with that. I can see KD taking over. I can also see KD involving Ayton big time... do I smell a triple double for Kevin Durant??
Then KD is going to have a huge series, maybe Chris and DA too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Then KD is going to have a huge series, maybe Chris and DA too.
Yeah I think CP and Ayton get overlooked in all of this. If you give too much attention to one guy than you have to contend with 3 other guys that can collectively destroy you. Ayton is certainly capable of averaging 20+ for the series, CP while inconsistent at this point can still have big games and will always make good decisions with the ball and KD/Book kind of speak for themselves.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conversely my opinion on the trade for KD has evolved. I was 100% for it at the time but now I agree with those that see all those picks being added as an overpay. 1-2 picks / swaps + the twins was plenty

I would have held Bridges out of the trade for Durant, period. Some other things were negotiable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had just been able to keep Cam and extend him we’d be title favorites the next 2-3 years. He’d be 08’ Ray Allen on the Celtics right now.

I would have kept Bridges but most certainly the Suns shouldn't traded both players, others and plethora of draft picks for Kevin Durant.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have held Bridges out of the trade for Durant, period. Some other things were negotiable.
Rehashing is pointless Bridges was the centerpiece they wanted deal doesn’t get done any other way! Sure everyone would love to add KD to ther or team and not lose other talent lol it’s just fantasy land though. You don’t land a player like KD without giving up talent period!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Enjoy the damn ride people worry about the future later! It’s about time we put a legit scoring star next to Book to take advantage of Books prime! KD is a good one too if you think about his game doesn’t revolve around athleticism so should be good while healthy! 13 games with KD and 12-1 and headed further into the playoffs. We could and should be even more dynamic next year after these guys get more time together and roster changes to boost the bench more. Nothing but excitement over here for the future. I don’t care about late round draft picks as we don’t use them anyway. You got a tandom in Book in KD that can just destroy teams on any given night, what they are doing is being somewhat overlooked imo. For new teammates they have got to be averaging ridiculous numbers and only one loss to a scrappy Clips team with Kawaih going off and could have went either way! Before if we played poorly we get the doors kicked in now we don’t play well and still have chance or just win the games anyway that’s huge!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my thought all along. 2 first rounds would have been fair. 4 was overkill.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From a value perspective, perhaps. From a getting a deal done, I remain skeptical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the Suns had just been able to keep Cam and extend him we’d be title favorites the next 2-3 years. He’d be 08’ Ray Allen on the Celtics right now.
That’s what I was hoping for. But realized that we didn’t have a choice. It was the full package or no KD.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was hoping for. But realized that we didn’t have a choice. It was the full package or no KD.
I thought it was going to get done but that it would occur at the absolute deadline. When we made the deal several hours early despite rumors that no one had offered a better package than our much less rumored deal - I was stunned and devastated to learn we gave them both the players they wanted and 4 unprotected picks for such a risky asset.

I could see the gamble, I just couldn't understand why we caved in with so much clock remaining. Until I heard the Isiah Thomas rumors. He's always believed that the value of a contract matters as much or more as the player even as his playing value declines, the contract value can always be recouped later. So not protecting our picks 5 and 7 years down the road probably meant little to him.

Unfortunately we'll likely never know who is right about this trade unless we win a championship and Ish uses that to justify bringing in his GM buddy. And yeah, I'd put up with Thomas if that's the price of winning it all.

So, anyway, I'm past feeling miserable about it, it's history. And whether KD is still THE KD may be up in the air but he and Booker together puts a lot of pressure on defenses. We had that briefly CP3's first year and both players benefitted from the presence of the other, with KD it's even more evident.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was going to get done but that it would occur at the absolute deadline. When we made the deal several hours early despite rumors that no one had offered a better package than our much less rumored deal - I was stunned and devastated to learn we gave them both the players they wanted and 4 unprotected picks for such a risky asset.

I could see the gamble, I just couldn't understand why we caved in with so much clock remaining. Until I heard the Isiah Thomas rumors. He's always believed that the value of a contract matters as much or more as the player even as his playing value declines, the contract value can always be recouped later. So not protecting our picks 5 and 7 years down the road probably meant little to him.

Unfortunately we'll likely never know who is right about this trade unless we win a championship and Ish uses that to justify bringing in his GM buddy. And yeah, I'd put up with Thomas if that's the price of winning it all.

So, anyway, I'm past feeling miserable about it, it's history. And whether KD is still THE KD may be up in the air but he and Booker together puts a lot of pressure on defenses. We had that briefly CP3's first year and both players benefitted from the presence of the other, with KD it's even more evident.
I really don’t think the city would be okay with a known sexual harasser coming into GM.

At least I hope it wouldn’t.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think this is accurate.

So far he has been 1-B on the Suns, but I fully expect over a longer period of time he will become 1-A. They just haven't figured it out yet.

I have no idea why you would not want him to be 1-A, because he is a more efficient scorer than - well almost anyone in history. Also, he was not the 1-B in Golden State - he was the 1-A.

What you don't seem to gather is we are in a very bad spot financially. In my opinion the roster we have currently is likely the best roster we will have with KD, Book and Ayton all on the same team. I really think this season might be the best chance this team has, it's arguable that familiarity of our starters may be more valuable than the bench, but KD and CP3 only get older next year and more fragile.

Bottom line, I really don't like the deal that we made at this point, because thus far this team does not look like it is good enough to win, and I don't think it gets any better in the next 2-3 years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don’t think the city would be okay with a known sexual harasser coming into GM.

At least I hope it wouldn’t.

Even if the scandal with the Knicks were not a factor, Thomas has been a disaster at every venture he has undertaken since retiring as a player.

I hope he stays the hell away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave