TE Coach and Offensive Quality Coach Hired from College ranks

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Cardinals offered Austin Peay Head Coach Rick Christophel TE job. Expected to accept.

also adding Alabamas Offensive Quality Control coach Kevin Garvey for similar role with Cards.

This per Adam Caplan and CoachingSearch.com

http://m.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

Look like good hires to me. Especially plucking from Saban

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to CoachingSearch.com, Arians has hired Alabama offensive quality control coach Kevin Garver as the Cardinals' new offensive quality control.

Garver has worked under Nick Saban for the past six seasons, including three years in which the Crimson Tide won the BCS National Championship.

During his time in Tuscaloosa, Garver worked as a student assistant, graduate assistant and as an offensive analyst for the Crimson Tid

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to CoachingSearch.com, Arians has hired Alabama offensive quality control coach Kevin Garver as the Cardinals' new offensive quality control.

Garver has worked under Nick Saban for the past six seasons, including three years in which the Crimson Tide won the BCS National Championship.

During his time in Tuscaloosa, Garver worked as a student assistant, graduate assistant and as an offensive analyst for the Crimson Tid
Garver not Garvey.

Last edited:

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Makes sure the system is tailored for the players.

isnt offensive quality control coach just the team waterboy for the other coaches?

that's what scares me about goodwin. he was pumping water just 2 years ago and is now an OC :eek:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What on earth does an offensive quality coach do???

He scouts for your own tendencies

I.e. -- hey, whenever its third and less than five and we go empty backfield, we throw the slant to the slot guy

Stuff like that

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They also say Nick Rapone has been hired as DB coach. Another guy with ties to Temple as well as Virginia Tech.

Rumor has it that the Cardinals will be moving to the Big East in 2014 and that Michael Bidwill is thrilled with the prospect of playing Pittsburgh every year.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Kevin Garvey? Bet he knows alot about Warmack.

Our new TE's coach was a sitting college head coach?

This staff is starting to get insane.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
They also say Nick Rapone has been hired as DB coach. Another guy with ties to Temple as well as Virginia Tech.

Rumor has it that the Cardinals will be moving to the Big East in 2014 and that Michael Bidwill is thrilled with the prospect of playing Pittsburgh every year.

Someone should tell him Pittsburgh is moving to the ACC :)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Wow. Kevin Garvey? Bet he knows alot about Warmack.

Our new TE's coach was a sitting college head coach?

This staff is starting to get insane.

It's interesting that we brought him on board. Man we could have used better O quality last yr!! Can't argue with his teams success. He should be well aquainted with Warmack as well. Maybe McCarron and his gf ;) as well for next yr.

As far as the TE coach, Austin Pea isn't big time, so a jump to the NFL makes good sense for him.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I know you are saying this toungue in cheek but I have no qualms with this staff to this point. In fact so far im pretty excited. This Alabama guy could be an OC in training and i love we get a college HC from an FCS school for our TE. Really going to help come draft time.

Also pretty excited about Tom Moore obviously. Todd Bowles I am in wait and see mode.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

At worst we will have a very experienced coaching staff. Personally, I think Keim's ability to add talent and Arians ability to identify and develop a QB will determine how this all plays out.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

They are the ones that break down most of the game film (their own and their opponents), practice film, and so on. They study the tendencies and create the video packages and notes for the coaches. A lot of them also can be seen running the scout teams, because they have seen the most video on their opponent. Plus they will help with coaching some.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He makes the cut-ups of the opponent and the team in preparation for the week. Tracks playcalling tendencies by both the team and the opponent. Listens in on a lot of meetings, and is a general sounding board/listener for the entire coaching staff.

I think that Chad Grimm was one of our QC coaches the last couple of years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He makes the cut-ups of the opponent and the team in preparation for the week. Tracks playcalling tendencies by both the team and the opponent. Listens in on a lot of meetings, and is a general sounding board/listener for the entire coaching staff.

I think that Chad Grimm was one of our QC coaches the last couple of years.

I remember I about spit the drinkout of my mouth when I first saw this. Ugh. Whis did not make it easy on himself at times.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we get serious about QC for a second?

Based on the title, you'd have to assume that the job description would focus on assessing how well each play was executed by each player during the season. I'd imagine the job as originally defined would involve considerably logging and charting (by hand).

But, in actuality, it sounds more like an IT job with the emphasis on getting information to coaches players and management in ways they found most useful to them.

For example - If BA does want to know that the QB "saw" on a specific play, we might want an end zone camera (behind the QB) synched up and digitally massaged to replicate and confirm what the QB did or didn't see.

Or perhaps there's specialized video or photo stuff that needs to be relayed from press box to sidelines

If this is true, I'd expect Garver to be our resident high tech football geek who knows what the team is looking for and who has the high tech chops to deliver it along with staying on top of new technology.

Am i right? Or is the Quality Control dude involved in other things.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can we get serious about QC for a second?

Based on the title, you'd have to assume that the job description would focus on assessing how well each play was executed by each player during the season. I'd imagine the job as originally defined would involve considerably logging and charting (by hand).

But, in actuality, it sounds more like an IT job with the emphasis on getting information to coaches players and management in ways they found most useful to them.

For example - If BA does want to know that the QB "saw" on a specific play, we might want an end zone camera (behind the QB) synched up and digitally massaged to replicate and confirm what the QB did or didn't see.

Or perhaps there's specialized video or photo stuff that needs to be relayed from press box to sidelines

If this is true, I'd expect Garver to be our resident high tech football geek who knows what the team is looking for and who has the high tech chops to deliver it along with staying on top of new technology.

Am i right? Or is the Quality Control dude involved in other things.

That's not what it is at all. The position is more like a graduate assistant job at a D1 school. Usually it's a young person who's somehow connected to the coaching fraternity, and he's listening in on meetings, taking notes, putting together his own ideas wherever he can.

Any monkey can do cut-ups, there's nothing high tech or specialized about it. The All-22 film is what EVERYONE in the NFL watches--they don't get anything out of the broadcast.

They do the cutups and some game charting, but mostly they're gopher assistant coaches who help out anywhere that's needed as they make their bones and try and establish themselves for position coach jobs in the future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard