Anybody else concerned w/ our staff??

AzCardzFan

Veteran
Reaction score
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Is anybody else concerned about our staff? Other than BA, T. Moore and Bowles we have little to no experience and even some questionable character guys (see RB coach). This seems to me like a makeshift staff after the initial remarks that a staff will be in place in a couple of days. Most of the guys are either former players for BA or guys he used to work with in some capacity. The defensive staff is especially concerning with a first time DC and hardly any experience behind him, nobody on the staff has even been a DC before. Other than Bowles we have about 4-5 yrs of NFL coaching experience TOTAL from the other members on the staff.

Offense - Very old at the top (BA, 60 & TM, 74), but very experienced. These guys better know what they are doing b/c it gets ugly after them.
OC – Harold Goodwin, 40 - 1 yr as OL coach and some as QC. Worst hire in my opinion, he has no business being a OC at this point in his career. Not sure what the motivation here was.
RB – Todd McNair, 47 - Coached in the NFL for 2 yrs before going to USC 04-10 but has been out of FB since and has been arrested for cruelty to animals. Currently suing the NCAA.....
QB – Freddie Kitchens, 68 - was a former QB but zero experience coaching them.
WR – Darryl Drake, 60 - 8 yrs coaching in the NFL but underwhelming. Had a blowup with the media ala Denny Green one year.
TE – Rick Christophel, 60 - Never coached in the NFL. All of his coaching was in college as an assistant on the offensive side. Was a head coach of Austin Peay the past 5 years with a 20-46 record.
OL – Larry Zierlein, 67 – Fired from Tomlin’s staff in 2009 and has been in the Canadian league since.

Defense - After Todd Bowles we have very very little experience on this side of the ball. Even Bowles has only been a DC for half a year now in Phily, before that he was always a DB coach.
DL Brenston Buckner, 41 - never has been a coach at any level. Interns with the Steelers during the preseason and has his own radio show. WTF?!?
LB – Mike Caldwell, 41 – QC coach from ‘08-‘09, asst LB ’10 and LB coach ’11-’12. Could be an up and comer, but all I see is 3 years of NFL level coaching experience and that’s it. No other coaching jobs.
OLB – James Bettcher, 34 – Coached with the Colts last year as “Special Asst to HC”. Had some other college coaching positions as well.
CB – Kevin Ross, 51 – Barely any experience for being 51. QC with SD from ’07-09 then went to the Raider in ’10 but was fired after the season. Has been out of football since.
S – Nick Rapone, 57 – Never coached in the NFL, was at Temple with BA. Has been a secondary coach in the small college ranks since ’95. [/FONT]

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Kitchens is about 30 years younger...He played for Alabama in the 90's.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
MJ just reported that he made several calls to FO people and coaches who were close to Todd Bowles at Philly and Miami...and he said that he received no ringing endorsements about Bowles. Obviously, MJ was underwhelmed by what he heard.

I get the part where BA wants to surround himself with his guys---coaches who will be loyal to him, etc.

But, the question is---are these hires the very best the Cardinals can do?

Or are they made more for BA's own comfort level?

If this defense goes back to its old shabby tackling, finger-pointing missed assignment ways, we have every right to be furious.

Isn't Romeo Crennell still available?

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
MJ just reported that he made several calls to FO people and coaches who were close to Todd Bowles at Philly and Miami...and he said that he received no ringing endorsements about Bowles. Obviously, MJ was underwhelmed by what he heard.

I get the part where BA wants to surround himself with his guys---coaches who will be loyal to him, etc.

But, the question is---are these hires the very best the Cardinals can do?

Or are they made more for BA's own comfort level?

If this defense goes back to its old shabby tackling, finger-pointing missed assignment ways, we have every right to be furious.

Isn't Romeo Crennell still available?

Whis did the same thing, Bowles sucks single handedley screwed up two good defenses.

Are you freaking kidding about Crennel? He didn't know why "Three Times" Jamal Charles got the rock less than 10 times in a game, he is worse than Arians.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I dunno

If you have a really good head coach, how much do position coaches matter? Specifically: what is the difference between a really good position coach and a run of the mill one?

I get the coordinator concern, but position coaches?

Further, I seem to recall at this point about six years ago, there were spasms of pure, unadulterated joy about Russ Grimm being the offensive line coach. The point being -- do any of us really know?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, outside of Tom Moore this staff leaves a lot to be desired.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Whis did the same thing, Bowles sucks single handedley screwed up two good defenses.

Are you freaking kidding about Crennel? He didn't know why "Three Times" Jamal Charles got the rock less than 10 times in a game, he is worse than Arians.

I am talking about Crennell for defensive supervisor---where he has rings to prove how good he is at that role.

He could be the Tom Moore of the defense.

Plus, he's a true 3-4 guy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the exception of blatant buffoons or bad actors, I'm no more concerned about these guys than I would any other coaching hires - because, until we see them in action, it's difficult or impossible to accurately judge them.

Ask me in a month. Ask me again 2 or 3 months after that.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This is a joke right?

Every Cardinal coaching staff in history started out concerning me, only three in my entire memory banks proved to be even semi acceptable, Coryell, Tobin and Whiz, but all of them eventually met the same fate, only Coryell and Tobin had some what of an excuse their teams were literally taken away from them, Coryell was fired for angering the FO and Tobin had his team stripped in FA and Whiz imploded himself.

So historically every single staff is a nail biter until proven otherwise.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Whis took over, I was not familiar with any of his staff except Grimm whom I really was excited about us getting.

Bottom line is the Arians will be judged on his wins. Let him pick whomever he wants.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not that concerned: the only reason to hire fossils like Arians and Moore is to impart their wisdom to others. Once that is accepted then the truth is that its better to have a blank slate than dudes with preconceived notions. Given that, their inexperience level doesn't concern me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have more concerns about our roster.

I feel the exact opposite way unless you just mean at QB. Otherwise we will have a veteran roster that I feel was poorly coached. Other than maybe the Guard position the rest of the lineup is talented enough to win. Never could figure out what was going on with the Guard of the Month program. Wells, Lutui, Faneca, Hadnot, Colledge, Snyder...

On the other hand I'm not real keen on yet another coaching staff full of former Steelers guys. Either Pittsburgh is Michael Bidwills favorite team or he thinks maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle again.

BUT, where are they going to get their Kurt Warner? The QB problem will probably trump everything and it won't matter how good the AARP sponsored coaching staff is.

Last edited:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Being an old guy I'm offended by this thread. :D

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about this current staff at all. They have done nothing questionable yet and they have no huge red flags in their hire as far as I'm concerned.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His staff being guys he's worked with makes perfect sense to me. He knows how they think and respond. I trust his judgement and have faith in his decisions

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think more experienced staffs will school this staff at the NFL level. We'll see. I never had a vote.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a joke right?

Every Cardinal coaching staff in history started out concerning me, only three in my entire memory banks proved to be even semi acceptable, Coryell, Tobin and Whiz, but all of them eventually met the same fate, only Coryell and Tobin had some what of an excuse their teams were literally taken away from them, Coryell was fired for angering the FO and Tobin had his team stripped in FA and Whiz imploded himself.

So historically every single staff is a nail biter until proven otherwise.

Exactly. Be concerned with whoever the Cards hire. They are the Cards.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
DL Brenston Buckner, 41 - never has been a coach at any level. Interns with the Steelers during the preseason and has his own radio show. WTF?!?

Buckner was a High School head coach when we hired him.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you expect. If a coach is experienced, then in order to get him he either has to be fired/not extended (didn't do his job well enough) or you have to promote him to a position he hasn't coached before.

I went through and looked at other teams coaching staffs. Many of their coaches are guys who were either college coaches before, or were promoted from a lesser position, or quite commonly, were former players who had zero coaching experience prior.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The only concern is Todd Bowles. He is unproven as a D.C. but then so was Ray Horton when he arrived. Other than the job of finding the right QB to eventually replace Kevin Kolb, Todd Bowles is THE biggest question mark facing the Cardinals in 2013 IMO.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but to say I'm totally unconcerned would not be truthful.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Buckner was a High School head coach when we hired him.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you expect. If a coach is experienced, then in order to get him he either has to be fired/not extended (didn't do his job well enough) or you have to promote him to a position he hasn't coached before.

I went through and looked at other teams coaching staffs. Many of their coaches are guys who were either college coaches before, or were promoted from a lesser position, or quite commonly, were former players who had zero coaching experience prior.

Just looked at the SB teams. Baltimore has 17 assistants shown at nfl.com. 2 played in the NFL. SF has 21 assistant coaches shown with 4 having played in the NFL.

38 coaches and only 6 former players.

I've found that ratio to be about the same for most NFL teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson