Talk about dead air...

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Not picking an argument, but schools all across the land lower admission standards for athletes below that of the student population as a whole. Not saying it happened here but just because he went to Wake, doesn't brand him a genius.

BTW, I didn't hear the interview myself and have only commented on what was passed along and the only players intelligence I questioned was Johnny Rutledge since I vividly recall his initial interview.

I agree that it does happen, but WF's standards along with a few dozen other schools, notre dame, stanford, the ivy league schools are harder to qualify for whether your an athlete or not. Wake Forest is one of those schools.

http://www.wfu.edu/admissions/

By the way, I never once called him a genius, but he has to meet certain standards, athlete or not, to get into WF.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Facts Straight

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Not true....Johnson and Pace both got the same score......a 16....not the sharpest blades in the drawer but not the dullest either....McDougle got a 10.....but we had someone that beat that....check below:

Other Card Wonderlic scores:

King-9
Hayes-15
Gilbert-19

One almost Cardinal by the name of Suggs got a 31.......oops......almost forgot one.....2003 NFL Rookie of the Year Anquan Boldin also got a 31.

I was just kidding and forgot to alert for sarcasm. Stupid joke by me :thumbup:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Hey Crimson, total change of subject here. In the discussion regarding Graves not trading TJ for a low round pick, it was initially said that he wouldn't take a 6th rounder for TJ (turns out it may have been a 7th). Anyways, my inital assumption is that KC would have offered the six and in the 6th round KC chose that DE from Oklahoma. In theory, the Cards would have had a shot at the same guy, what is his deal? Wilkerson I think?

uhhh... tough to say az. the guy is not a "world beater". Also, he did not stand out that much on one the best defenses in the nation in 2002. He never quite lived up to the potential people saw in him when he came out of high school.

he is an excellent athelete. I think he was worth a sixth or seventh round pick.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
What did Johnson get on the Wunderlich test? He all but called it irrelivent...making me believe that he scored low.

Maybe he can spell irrelevant!

:biglaugh:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To make things clear...

I was listening to a radio interview by 1060 Saturday afternoon while riding with my girlfriend to Mama's Pizza on University Drive just east of Mill Avenue in Tempe. The guys who were on said that they had Calvin Pace on the line. They were kind of asking him who he was, and if he'd been contacted by any other teams thinking about drafting him. He said (as I remember) that he'd heard from KC before the Holliday deal, and I think he said Philly and the Jints. And he said that he was out shopping when he got picked. That was about it.

What both myself and my girlfriend noticed was that he really sounded down and uninterested in what was going on, and didn't really want to talk.

This was a guy who'd just been drafted way beyond where anyone expected him to go, and had just added at least a couple zeroes to his expected paycheck. He, to my ears, and that of my lady friend, sounded like he wasn't particularly jacked to be a Cardinal.

I was hoping that it was because he's not well spoken and perhaps under-endowed, intelligence-wise. Apparently, it was because, as I first suspected, he wasn't happy to be a Cardinal.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Tango..
Aren't you just as guilty in this statement with you overly rosey, Graves can do no wrong, Go Cards retoric yourself?

Let's all of admit this.....We all just spout our opinions here. And, to the extent the Rosey Glasses Koolaide crowd keeps up their overly optimistic comments so will the Darksiders keep posting to bring a balance??

Well actually, I like to think I do better at it than a lot of others I observe. I DO usually try to make a conscious effort to not "put my mouth in gear before my brain is engaged" as I sometimes refer to it. And I'm even more careful about making judgements about other people too quickly. We all make judgements whether we want to admit it or not. One of my pet peeves, that gets accentuated on message boards like this, is that so many people seem to think is just fine to post derogatory comments about others, in this case the people "in the Cards organization", most often players, coaches, etc.
when they haven't even taken the time to truely know any reality based "facts" at all...yet they denigrate that person here as if it is some God given right.
I'm not niave, nor stupid, I know all about freedom of speech and individual rights, etc, etc, ....and fully support them to the core of my being. But for every freedom comes a corresonding responsibility. To denigrate others quickly and without truly knowing them is abuse of that freedom. I really dislike that, its one of my hot buttons. So, yes, I do consciously make an effort in that area. I really do wish more people put as much effort into that as I do, and I realize some do it even more than me....I truely admire them.
I also know that most of the time, to many, many people they see and hear what they want to. Their "vision" is the color of their own biases. We are all guilty of that to some degree.

A perfect example is your comment:

Aren't you just as guilty in this statement with you overly rosey, Graves can do no wrong, Go Cards retoric yourself?

overly rosey? Compared to what? Graves can do not wrong? I don't think I've ever thought of myself with that mindset.
Yes I give him more credit that a lot of people do. That's how "I" perceive things so far.
Do no wrong? Gimmee a break.
Do I think he might have got schooled a little Saturday? Yes.
Is it all as bad as many are moaning about?
I don't think so.

and finally, in regard to your darksiders comment in your second paragraph......
Just the fact that you put yourself in the catagory of "Darksiders" causes me to ponder......who is the one being so very judgemental here?
For as I once read: When a person puts on a uniform they give up certain individual freedoms in the name of that uniform. So you donned for yourself the Darksiders uniform....hey it's your box, dwell there if you want.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought this article from the KC STAR paper was a good fit for this thread.

Posted on Fri, Apr. 25, 2003

See how you do on the Wonderlic test
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
Columnist

Jeffrey Flanagan

NFL draft weekend is coming up, which means there will be lots of talk of 40-yard dash times, bench presses, vertical leaps and all that.

But there's another number that NFL scouts look at: a prospect's score on the Wonderlic Personnel Test, an IQ exam consisting of 50 questions. Those taking the test have 12 minutes to finish.

We have run some sample questions from the test several times in the past, and in honor of this weekend's draft, we'll do so again. Answers will appear at the bottom of the page.

1. The 11th month of the year is: a. October b. May c. November d. February 2. Severe is the opposite of: a. harsh b. stern c. tender d. rigid e. unyielding 3. In the following set of words, which word is different from the others? a. certainty b. dubiousness c. assuredness d. confidence e. sureness 4. Look at the following numbers. What number comes next? 73, 66, 59, 52, 45, 38, ------

5. In the following set of words, which word is different from the others? a. sing b. call c. chatter d. hear e. speak 6. One number in the following series does not fit in the pattern set by the others. Which is it? a. 1/4 b. 1/6 c. 1/8 d. 1/9 e 1/10 f. 1/12

7. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using the smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in the smaller type?

8. A boy is 17 years old, and his sister is twice as old. When he is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

9. A train travels 20 feet in one-fifth second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

10. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000 and Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

11. The hours of daylight and darkness in September are nearest equal to the hours of daylight and darkness in: June, March, May, November.

12. Look at the following numbers. What number should come next? 8, 4, 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, ------

III

The average score for the 50-question Wonderlic test, by the way, is 21. That represents an IQ of about 100.

Among NFL players, offensive tackles have averaged the top scores at 26. Centers average 25, and quarterbacks average 24. Halfbacks rank the lowest at 16.

(Top of the Mornin' readers average 39, we're told.)

Some reported scores of NFL players, past and present, according to The Sporting News: Drew Bledsoe, 37; Brett Favre, 22; Steve Young, 33; Jeff George, 10; Dale Carter, 12.

Former Bengals punter Pat McInally, a Harvard grad, remains the only NFL player to score a perfect 50.

III

The T-Bones, Kansas City's new independent-league baseball team, have hired Tanna Guthrie from KYYS (99.7 FM) as their public-address announcer this summer.

Guthrie, who lists North Carolina and Oklahoma City among her other stops in the radio biz, said, "As much as I like North Carolina and OK City, I will retire a T-Bone."

FYI, the T-Bones' season opener is May 23 at St. Paul, and their home opener is June 6 against Sioux City.

III

The answers to the Wonderlic questions:

1. c 2. c 3. b 4. 31 5. d 6. d 7. 17 8. 40 9. 300 10. $560 11. March 12. 1/8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tango,

The meaning of my post was that we all have opinions. That was it. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I meant no offense to you. You just have a more optimistic view and willing to give Graves more slack that others.

I will make every effort to hold off on commenting on Graves until Training Camp (Which was his stated timeframe) to judge his decisions.

So, hows the weather?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard