Surreal...

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
There I was, the 4th quarter winding down, watching hundreds of Cardinals fans in Soldier Field cheering and chanting "Larry!" while the remaining Bears fans were leaving. Walking out of the stadium, Cardinal red was everywhere!

I thought back to the metal bleachers at Sun Devil Stadium, where I can remember being the only person in an entire section in the upper deck during a 102 degree afternoon. Where I remember the Cardinals being introduced and the crowd booing because the visiting fans outnumbered the home team's. Where the likes of Dave Brown, Kent Graham, and Stoney Case threw passes. Where Jake Plummer decided to throw the ball left handed out of desperation.

Walking out of that stadium was like walking on Mars. Surreal.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
NFL @ sun devil was a horrible experience. The heat and the putrid teams... omg so much has changed.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ya know .. I kinda miss Sun Devil Stadium a little - especially when they have the roof closed in Glendale in Nov/Dec/Jan. But not in Aug/Sept, lol

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun to be a Cards fan!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some things never change - Cards' fans chanting "Larry!"

#Centers #Fitzgerald

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Keim said it was awesome at the end of the Bears game when the Cardinals fans all came down and filled up the lower bowl. He said most of the Bears fans had all pretty much left by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Way to represent Cardinals fans!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these are strange days to be a Cardinals fan... and I'm loving ever second of it (even when it seems I'm not).

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Steve Keim said it was awesome at the end of the Bears game when the Cardinals fans all came down and filled up the lower bowl. He said most of the Bears fans had all pretty much left by the end of the 3rd quarter.

+100

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
48 points is the most ever scored by an opponent at Soldier Field.

As I reminded Darren Urban on Twitter, the Bears have only been playing at Soldier Field since '71, but it's still a great stat.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
48 points is the most ever scored by an opponent at Soldier Field.

Actually according to this article (and my own cursory scan of pro-football-reference), it was the most points allowed at home in Chicago Bears franchise history, at all stadia (Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, Cub Park, and Staley Field).

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...n-defeat/1fd83391-693e-4210-82dd-3767065dab67

...dave

Should have been 49, but Cat missed the PAT. :(

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 44 years and at least 352 games not counting playoffs

I'd say it's quite a feat considering

Actually only 343 games if you don't count playoffs. The Bears only had 7 home games in the 14-game seasons of 1971-1977, and only 4 in the strike-shortened 9-game 1982 season. (They had 8 in the strike-shortened 15-game 1987 season.) Plus two so far this season. Then add in 14 home playoff games and the total in Soldier field is 357 games.

But as I noted, this understates the magnitude of the accomplishment, since it's actually the most points scored against the Bears in any home game in franchise history.

So we can add in 290 regular season and 6 playoff games at Wrigley field, 34 at Cub Park, 9 more at Cub Park and 2 at Staley Field as the Chicago Staleys, and 1 more at Cub Park and 3 at Staley Field as the Decatur Staleys... and it adds up to 702 home games.

It's actually a pretty impressive accomplishment for the Bears that they've never allowed a 49-point game at home in all those years and games!

...dave

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

We considered heading down there, but I didn't want to miss any of the game. It was so relaxing for a change as I wasn't nervous as all get out. Usually I pay for the whole seat and only use the edge of it. This time I used the whole thing...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We considered heading down there, but I didn't want to miss any of the game. It was so relaxing for a change as I wasn't nervous as all get out. Usually I pay for the whole seat and only use the edge of it. This time I used the whole thing...
Must have been a great feeling for you. I was so relaxed for once and blood pressure was normal at the end of the game. :D

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually only 343 games if you don't count playoffs. The Bears only had 7 home games in the 14-game seasons of 1971-1977, and only 4 in the strike-shortened 9-game 1982 season. (They had 8 in the strike-shortened 15-game 1987 season.) Plus two so far this season. Then add in 14 home playoff games and the total in Soldier field is 357 games.

But as I noted, this understates the magnitude of the accomplishment, since it's actually the most points scored against the Bears in any home game in franchise history.

So we can add in 290 regular season and 6 playoff games at Wrigley field, 34 at Cub Park, 9 more at Cub Park and 2 at Staley Field as the Chicago Staleys, and 1 more at Cub Park and 3 at Staley Field as the Decatur Staleys... and it adds up to 702 home games.

It's actually a pretty impressive accomplishment for the Bears that they've never allowed a 49-point game at home in all those years and games!

...dave
Thanks for correcting me. I was lazy and just multiplied 8 home games by the seasons. You did a much better job. :thumbup:

With your list the accomplishment looks even better.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score

Funny. I spend most of our games pacing in front of the TV. (I think I'll wear my fit-bit for this weeks game just to see how many steps I actually take.)

This bears game was one of the few where I actually kicked back on the sofa, put my feet up, and just enjoyed the game (in the 4th quarter).'

Go Cards!!!

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me. I was lazy and just multiplied 8 home games by the seasons. You did a much better job. :thumbup:

With your list the accomplishment looks even better.

Heh, yours was close enough, but it made me curious about exactly when the 16-game season started, and then i remembered the strike seasons, and once i started digging, i just thought it would be fun to compile the info and post the exact numbers. :)

...dave

MadJack

Veteran
Reaction score
There I was, the 4th quarter winding down, watching hundreds of Cardinals fans in Soldier Field cheering and chanting "Larry!" while the remaining Bears fans were leaving. Walking out of the stadium, Cardinal red was everywhere!

I thought back to the metal bleachers at Sun Devil Stadium, where I can remember being the only person in an entire section in the upper deck during a 102 degree afternoon. Where I remember the Cardinals being introduced and the crowd booing because the visiting fans outnumbered the home team's. Where the likes of Dave Brown, Kent Graham, and Stoney Case threw passes. Where Jake Plummer decided to throw the ball left handed out of desperation.

Walking out of that stadium was like walking on Mars. Surreal.

No kidding! MadJack was there of course and here's a pic with nearly three minutes left in game! And another of a typicaL Bears fan after the humiliating loss!

Attachments

• Empty Soldier Field.jpg
    Empty Soldier Field.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Bear Down!.jpg
    Bear Down!.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No kidding! MadJack was there of course and here's a pic with nearly three minutes left in game! And another of a typicaL Bears fan after the humiliating loss!
That empty Bears stadium brings such a smile to my face. I remember so many games at SDS when our stadium was empty except for remaining Bears fans. I hated playing Chicago at home back then more than any other team. How times have changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard