Supposedly

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
There are reports coming out of Philly that Schill will be traded to the Phillies for Chase Utley and Cole Hamels. WIP 610 out of Philly is reporting it.

Take it for what it's worth

Schillfan

Have you heard anything?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Utley was in the AZFL last year and played pretty well...he is a thirdbaseman which would block Chad Tracy.

Hamels is a LHP who has brilliant stuff, but broke the humerus bone in his pitching arm.....that is not so cool. The name is slipping me but this is similar to the injury sustained by that Devil Ray who had to retire because he broke his arm throwing a pitch twice

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
From Phillies board:
Phils get Schilling
D-Backs get Derek Lee and Josh Hancock
Marlins get Chase Utley and Ryan Howard

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by moviegeekjn
From Phillies board:
Phils get Schilling
D-Backs get Derek Lee and Josh Hancock
Marlins get Chase Utley and Ryan Howard

That would be a dumb trade for the Diamondbacks.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would rather see the Yankees trade

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hancock is coming off major arm surgery a year ago.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Curt Schilling - S - Arizona Diamondbacks Nov 19

Anthony Gargano of WIP 610 in Philadelphia is reporting that the Phillies could complete a trade for Curt Schilling before the end of the week. Two possibilities are being mentioned. One has Cole Hamels and Chase Utley going to Arizona in return for Schilling. The other possibility is a three-team trade which includes the Marlins. The Diamondbacks would get Derrek Lee from Florida and Josh Hancock from Philadelphia. The Phillies would also send Utley and Ryan Howard to Florida and get Schilling back.

http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?page=news&sport=MLB

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if they can't get Sexson, they'd be happy to get Lee?

He has some power doesn't he? How's his defense?

Mike

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
He has some power doesn't he? How's his defense?
uh... he is this year's Gold Glove winner, and he earned it.

Lee also has excellent speed, like many of the Marlins.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by moviegeekjn
uh... he is this year's Gold Glove winner, and he earned it.

Lee also has excellent speed, like many of the Marlins.

Well, we probably wont get what we should for Schilling, Lee doesn't sound so bad.

I knew Lee was good, didn't hear about the Gold Glove though, that's something we could use there.

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lee took his sweet ass time to finally become a decent player. He was a rookie the same year as TRAVIS Lee

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Schill was just on 910 and he said that staying in AZ is the most likely scenario

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Combine this with the Orosco news and you have to think...

Are they trying to suck?

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Utley is a 2B. He was moved to 3B because the Phillies had no one to replace Scott Rolen. His defense at 3B is pretty bad. He is a tolerable 2B who hit for good power in the minors. His highest projection is Jeff Kent. I doubt he will be that good, but he is one of our highest rated prospects. His nickname is dirtbag because he is a "scrappy" type player.

Phillies will not trade Cole Hamels. Right now he is close to being the top rated left hander in all of the minors (some rate Scott Kazmir of the Mets higher). He is a totally sick talent who demolished low A ball last year and was promoted to single A at still age 19.

Last year in the Sally League

74.2 IP, 6-1, 32 H, 7 ER, 0 HR, 25 BB, 115 SO

Anyway I wouldn't believe anything I heard on WIP. They are notorious rumor mongerers and totally unreliable.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan

Anyway I wouldn't believe anything I heard on WIP. They are notorious rumor mongerers and totally unreliable.

Thats what I thought also. After Curt's interview today it almost seemed like he would say no to any trade. I'm starting to think he will stay put and test the free agent waters after next year. I'm sure part of that is wishful thinking on my part. :)

Edit: I know he is getting tired of answering the same questions all the time. I wish he would hold a press conference and tell everybody that he isn't going anywhere. That would stop the speculation. :)

Last edited:

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by mark1
Thats what I thought also. After Curt's interview today it almost seemed like he would say no to any trade. I'm starting to think he will stay put and test the free agent waters after next year. I'm sure part of that is wishful thinking on my part. :)

Edit: I know he is getting tired of answering the same questions all the time. I wish he would hold a press conference and tell everybody that he isn't going anywhere. That would stop the speculation. :)
That's simply not true. Curt would agree to a trade to Philly. He's always said that consistently. Arizona or Philly. He would be very happy to be traded to Philly with an extension.

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
That's simply not true. Curt would agree to a trade to Philly. He's always said that consistently. Arizona or Philly. He would be very happy to be traded to Philly with an extension.

Thats very true SF but he specifically said today in his interview that he was going to be here for the 04 season... meaning that he didnt think that ANYTHING was going to happen. He didnt sound optimistic about any trade happening. Yes Philly is home, he just bought a new home there, and he will live there once he retires, but he still is under contract, and he said that since he has a total no trade, everything has to be perfect for him to approve a trade... that would include going back to Philly.. just cuz its Philly dont mean he is going to just up and do it!!! The contract, length, plus money is also a factor. He isnt going to go back there just for one season, and not know where he will end his career. He said for him to approve a trade, he has to have a 3 year extension in place as well. Otherwise, he is going to remain a DBack and then test FA.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by DbaxJ
Thats very true SF but he specifically said today in his interview that he was going to be here for the 04 season... meaning that he didnt think that ANYTHING was going to happen. He didnt sound optimistic about any trade happening. Yes Philly is home, he just bought a new home there, and he will live there once he retires, but he still is under contract, and he said that since he has a total no trade, everything has to be perfect for him to approve a trade... that would include going back to Philly.. just cuz its Philly dont mean he is going to just up and do it!!! The contract, length, plus money is also a factor. He isnt going to go back there just for one season, and not know where he will end his career. He said for him to approve a trade, he has to have a 3 year extension in place as well. Otherwise, he is going to remain a DBack and then test FA.
Hey I love Curt to death, but just because Curt is always "honest" doesn't mean he's always honest.

Curt lives very well by the reputation that he speaks his mind and from the heart and isn't afraid to say something. That doesn't mean that he is not completely capable of manipulating events to his satisfaction. He's a controlling, dominating, starting pitcher after all and an Everquest player. He is totally capable of "sending messages" and playing games to his advantage.

Out of nowhere rumors start about a trade to Philly on the Philly radio (Curt has contacts with these guys). Then he's on TV all over the place - why did this suddenly occur? Curt is pushing events to get what he wants.

Listen - he wants a trade to Philly and he wants an extension to finish his career there. (None of this is not to say he wouldn't have been happy to finish in Arizona - BUT that wasn't going to happen per the D-Backs). So since he has to leave, he is going to engineer things to end up in Philly with an extension to finish his career.

What I don't know is if the message was to the D-Backs to get off the stick and lower their demands, or to Philly to negotiate over the extension - money, length. But he is pushing and trying to control events. It's what he does.

How do I know this? Been there before you know. How do you think he got to Arizona in the first place?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these scenarios don't look good. We should keep Schilling here at home. Phoenix is his real home, after all he grew up here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort