Chase Field

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know who to blame, Kendrick or the city, but man... that park is showing it's age and it is a bummer.

There are the more reported problems, like how they can't open the roof properly, they used to open the roof during games once it cooled down... can't do that with people around anymore, cables might break and kill someone. The out of town scoreboards don't work (not that it matters in the playoffs) but I noticed it during the season as well. They're draped over with ads, turns out it is because the bulbs burnt out and "they don't have the ability to replace them".

But beyond that, there are small issues that really are sad for the experience. The bathrooms are in rough shape, stains and smells are expected in a large stadium bathroom, but large cracks in the walls and around the drains are concerning.

You charge 16 dollars for a can of beer and you can't even serve it cold? Yeah, Coors Light is 16 bucks and the damn mountains are not even blue!!! Funny, but not hyperbole, Chase Field beer is served up at a tad below room temp. (They do offer a "value beer", 12 oz for 5 bucks at certain vendors but, literally, all of them were out of draft beer before the game even started.)

Speaking of room temp, while not as much of an issue tonight, the AC is not what it used to be. Any game in the summer and day games especially, that place is freaking hot. I used to go to tons of games in the early years and that building was flat out chilly. Currently, the AC flat out sucks.

They've gotta figure something out because Chase Field is not a great experience. Before Kendrick whines that it is all the cities fault, let him know that I will chuck a 16 dollar and 80 degree Budweiser at his head.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There were definitely mistakes made in hindsight when they built the thing but yeah it’s time to do something with it.

I think Kendrick is smart enough to understand the value of a downtown ballpark however I’ve also been told that the cost to modernize the existing footprint would be roughly the same as starting from scratch on the rez or somewhere else outlying. So it’s a tough decision.

I’m confident however that they’re not going to leave Phoenix.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who to blame, Kendrick or the city, but man... that park is showing it's age and it is a bummer.

There are the more reported problems, like how they can't open the roof properly, they used to open the roof during games once it cooled down... can't do that with people around anymore, cables might break and kill someone. The out of town scoreboards don't work (not that it matters in the playoffs) but I noticed it during the season as well. They're draped over with ads, turns out it is because the bulbs burnt out and "they don't have the ability to replace them".

But beyond that, there are small issues that really are sad for the experience. The bathrooms are in rough shape, stains and smells are expected in a large stadium bathroom, but large cracks in the walls and around the drains are concerning.

You charge 16 dollars for a can of beer and you can't even serve it cold? Yeah, Coors Light is 16 bucks and the damn mountains are not even blue!!! Funny, but not hyperbole, Chase Field beer is served up at a tad below room temp. (They do offer a "value beer", 12 oz for 5 bucks at certain vendors but, literally, all of them were out of draft beer before the game even started.)

Speaking of room temp, while not as much of an issue tonight, the AC is not what it used to be. Any game in the summer and day games especially, that place is freaking hot. I used to go to tons of games in the early years and that building was flat out chilly. Currently, the AC flat out sucks.

They've gotta figure something out because Chase Field is not a great experience. Before Kendrick whines that it is all the cities fault, let him know that I will chuck a 16 dollar and 80 degree Budweiser at his head.

I assume you weren't in the club level? No issues with beer temp there. You should go to the tap house and it is the same thing.

I love the value items. Season ticket sodas $3. Hot dogs / corn dogs / popcorn $3.

The stadium absolutely needs to be upgraded. The AC is useless in the summer or when the stadium is full.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve always had a soft spot for B.O.B. but it’s a total eyesore both inside and out. There’s no excuse for not handling the necessities like the bathrooms or A/C. It’s a bottom 5 ballpark.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were definitely mistakes made in hindsight when they built the thing but yeah it’s time to do something with it.

I think Kendrick is smart enough to understand the value of a downtown ballpark however I’ve also been told that the cost to modernize the existing footprint would be roughly the same as starting from scratch on the rez or somewhere else outlying. So it’s a tough decision.

I’m confident however that they’re not going to leave Phoenix.
Downtown is the only place that make sense for a team with so many weeknight games

And on light rail

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
Deferred maintenance is tough because you rarely get caught up and things are exponentially more expensive to repair or replace as time goes by. It's a shame the County, the City and the Dbacks can't figure this out - if its so easy to point fingers, it sounds like the legal agreements weren't clear enough.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Downtown is the only place that make sense for a team with so many weeknight games

And on light rail
Do they show up during the week? I don't know the answer but for most games I go to during the week (which is normally the only time I go) the announced attendance is about 12k, with many MIA. I go to about 20 weekday games a year and I can tell you there are empty seats everywhere. Yeah, the Doyers and other transplant fans buy tickets, but they are not DBacks fans. I'm OK with downtown, but there may be better options nearby. I use light rail but it is archaic compared to most major cities. Just my 2 cents.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they show up during the week? I don't know the answer but for most games I go to during the week (which is normally the only time I go) the announced attendance is about 12k, with many MIA. I go to about 20 weekday games a year and I can tell you there are empty seats everywhere. Yeah, the Doyers and other transplant fans buy tickets, but they are not DBacks fans. I'm OK with downtown, but there may be better options nearby. I use light rail but it is archaic compared to most major cities. Just my 2 cents.
Dbacks do draw from all parts of the valley. It’s not like the Coyotes whose main base is east valley

I wish light rail had green light override

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Dbacks do draw from all parts of the valley. It’s not like the Coyotes whose main base is east valley

I wish light rail had green light override
Not saying they don't draw from all parts of the Valley. But DBacks fans do not show up in weekday games. I see it firsthand every year As I said, I am OK with Downtown but a location nearby could work too. Especially for parking.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It is crazy how quickly ballparks age. glad to see they are trying to make improvements rather than a tear down and a rebuild. I've always thought chase field is a beautiful park and is in a great location. I have not been to a summer game there in a very long time, the last time I was there in the summer it was a great experience for a baseball game. My only complaints from my recent visit is I couldn't find any local beer. it was bud and coors everywhere, but did not have much time to look around.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Not saying they don't draw from all parts of the Valley. But DBacks fans do not show up in weekday games. I see it firsthand every year As I said, I am OK with Downtown but a location nearby could work too. Especially for parking.
I live in far north Phx, i would rather drive over near talking stick than downtown

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't going to relocate out of AZ, just over to Scottsdale or the rez.
Going to Scottsdale doesn't change the financing - since the Stadium district is County Wide. And Scottsdale won't kick in any money.

Anywhere but downtown Phoenix would be a big step back.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t want them to leave AZ but no more tax handouts to fat cat sports teams. I will vote no if it comes to that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don’t want them to leave AZ but no more tax handouts to fat cat sports teams. I will vote no if it comes to that.
Lining the pockets of billionaires...no thx!