sunsfn 12/17/2004 report

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk about Jarrett Jack made me curious. I shot off an e-mail to a friend of mine who is currently employed by an NBA team in the south (he's in sales). He solicited off-the-cuff opinion from two of their scouts. The consensus, for whatever it's worth, is Jack is the next Marcus Taylor. I don't know anything about Taylor but it didn't seem like a favorable comparison.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And BTW, I'm told many NBA scouts are quietly interested in Ike Diogu. They think he's a two-skill or three-skill player, but he's so good at those two or three skills he presents great value in the late first round. You can't pass up too many guys adept at scoring and rebounding in the low post, even if he's somewhat of a defensive liability.

Take it FWIW.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
And BTW, I'm told many NBA scouts are quietly interested in Ike Diogu. They think he's a two-skill or three-skill player, but he's so good at those two or three skills he presents great value in the late first round. You can't pass up too many guys adept at scoring and rebounding in the low post, even if he's somewhat of a defensive liability.

Take it FWIW.

My guess is that Carlos Boozer's success has made Diogu much more attractive to NBA teams.

Jarrett Jack, I could take or leave. The Suns definitely do not need another PG.

I'm still holding out hope for Andriuskevicius...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The great thing about Ike is that his shooting range extends all the way out to the college three-point line. I would love to bring him off the bench.

Joe Mama

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns always draft the best player available, regardless of need ever since the William Bedford debacle. I am just going with my instincts, if there is a need, fill it.

Also, I'm in sales and my slogan is "persistence beats resistence". My Marketing Degree won't allow me to go down without a good marketing campaign.

Last edited:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
All this talk about Jarrett Jack made me curious. I shot off an e-mail to a friend of mine who is currently employed by an NBA team in the south (he's in sales). He solicited off-the-cuff opinion from two of their scouts. The consensus, for whatever it's worth, is Jack is the next Marcus Taylor. I don't know anything about Taylor but it didn't seem like a favorable comparison.
Here's a link to Marcus Taylor

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/draft_020626.html

I think Jack has a lot more to offer than this kid. Taylor came out as a sophmore and probably wasn't ready. Led Michigan State in scoring, so he is probably a shoot first and pass second point guard ala Marbury. Again the thing that sticks out to me about Jack is that he is not relied upon to score and knows how to distribute the ball.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I think Jack has a lot more to offer than this kid. Taylor came out as a sophmore and probably wasn't ready. Led Michigan State in scoring, so he is probably a shoot first and pass second point guard ala Marbury.

Not at all. He was a classical PG. Here is nbadraftnet's scouting report about Taylor:

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/marcustaylor.htm

I remember Taylor. To compare Jack to him is not that way off at all. The only one significant difference between the two that Jack plays for a much better team. He may be slightly more athletic.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
"Even At 6'8 he handles the ball like a guard, often starting (and finishing) the fast break..."

If Suns could get another 3 position player, that can lead break - I'm not sure how many Jack games you've seen but the season just started. I really don't think there's a PG with high lottery status (7 to 8 good PG's but none stick out IMO). The wings impress me this year but not that many wings go really high - the bigs have all season to get into lottery...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Ike late first/early second round. I'm guessing his stock will rise to mid first because he's physical and can score.

Nobody really grabs me in the mid lottery. I keep hoping for a big that score in the low post, but I'm not sure there is anyone worth the money.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
It would be nice if a tall, defensive, athletic, shot-blocker - starts a scoring rampage.

Jason Frasser 3.0 BLKS
Martin Iti 2.0 BLKS
Jermareo Davidson 1.7 BLKS
Courtney Sims 1.5 BLKS
others...

All averaging around 7-9 PTS

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The recent emergence of Hunter has changed my focus more to finding another serious low post threat who is physical and a strong rebounder.

Hunter is a great shot blocker and is proving to be a great pick and roll guy. However, his offense right now is due mostly to opponents not taking him seriously. That will change, thus opening up space for someone else.

Having a backup who can force opponents to double team in the low would be a major plus during the playoffs.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Chris Paul
23 points 12 assists 3 rebounds 5 steals

Tonight, aganinst #12 ranked Texas.
In an effort of full disclosure, I don't hide anything. Jack had a bad game against Gonzaga. Not sure how I would play if my body clock had a game that started 12:30 a.m. EDT and in Las Vegas (not sure how late he was out the night before). This is not an excuse, just a fact.

5-13 FG
2-7 3Pt
3-4 FT
6 Reb
4 Asst
0 Stls
5 TO

If he keeps this torrid turnover pace up, I might change my mind.

Will Bynum had a good game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard