Suns vs Lakers 1/30/13

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Beas has been playing some good defense and on the other end, Gortat and Dudley can't make open shots

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
They are playing well enough to win. Lol the Lakers lineups suck.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The bench is scaring me right now. Telfair looks off tonight. Wow great dunk by Brown.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Scola is missing bad in his jumpers. They should be playing Beasley when Clark is in.

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
Danny Ainge
Scott Skiles
Frank Johnson
Mike D'Antoni
Terry Porter
Alvin Gentry

Give any of those coaches enough new, raw talent to win the title, were it in the hands of, say, Popavich, Riley, Jackson, Auerbach, Daley or L.Brown and give them five years of preparation - I don't think any of them could win a title. In fact I doubt they'd ever realize the players were good enough to do it.

Frank Johnson and Terry Porter are the worst - I'd give Porter a slight edge becaise I saw much more of FJ. The other four are about equal but I'd put Gentry at the top because he wasn't a distraction on the sidelines.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
This has been the worst officiated game I've seen in a long time. The Suns have been royally screwed this entire third quarter. Something reeks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldnt lump Ainge in with the group of awful coaches. He posted a 60% win rate while coaching some severely flawed teams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like Joey Crawford is deliberately awful and just is out there trying to antagonize people... like some sort of wrestling character.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I can't stand listing to Berry is such a Laker lover and Suns hater always has been. Thank goodness for Dave Pache

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
As has been said many times before, D'Antoni told the Press that it was not his job to develop young players and made jokes about playing defense.

He was a one-dimensional coach who wore out his starters with 7-man rotations. He had a gimmick -- seven seconds or less -- and he had a great Point Guard.

Too many flaws. Too many limitations.

I hear what you're saying, and I understand it. It's misguided and ill-conceived, but I get the allure. Many people on this board don't understand how a good basketball player is made. They are of the irrational notion that the way you develop players is by giving them playing time. If a player sucks, how do you improve him? Give him minutes. And if a player REALLY SUCKS? The coach must develop him even more. How can he do fhat? Why, give him more minutes, of course!

This idea that the coach must reward bad players for sucking is backwards, but the truth is that players don't get developed during the 3,936 minutes of game time that exists during a season. They develop themselves during the other 523,000 minutes that are left over. These are minutes that the fans don't see. But you must remember that these minutes do, in fact, exist, even if Steve Albert isn't describing the events that transpire within them.

As for the "D'Antoni can't adjust his gameplan because he only knows how to run his 7 Seconds or Less gimmick"? That statement contradicts itself. 7 Seconds or Less was an adjustment! He had a team 63-19 team one season, and then two of the three guys who could actually create plays - Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire - were gone the next. He assessed what he had and decided to push the strengths of a very, VERY flawed team to the max. Every time you didn't push the ball, you were resigning yourself to potentially relying on Shawn Marion creating a running, one handed push shot from 19 feet. The team needed their opposition to make mistakes, and the best way to do that is to not allow them to set up their defense. Otherwise, Boris Diaw would be exposed for what he was.

D'Antoni's mistake wasn't his system. His mistake was telling people - who would've had no idea how to analyze it otherwise - what made it work.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why the hell are we doubling Kobe when he's clearly not looking to score?

Its almost on cue, we double Kobe, Kobe passes to the open guy. Let Kobe beat us by himself!

God, does Lindsay Hunter have a clue?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Why the hell are we doubling Kobe when he's clearly not looking to score?

Its almost on cue, we double Kobe, Kobe passes to the open guy. Let Kobe beat us by himself!

God, does Lindsay Hunter have a clue?

You missed one thing Kobe will beat you.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It is Morris hanging out in the middle not doubling Kobe or covering Jamison on the Perimeter.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did that put the finishing touches on Dwight's shoulder?... and by extension the Lakers season?

I will shamelessly say... I hope so.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phrazbit better get banned after this game by Beasley. Please!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beasley had a few boneheaded plays still but this is easily the best he's looked all year. Only with 3 FTA but all And 1s and he was more aggressive going to the hoop than his other big scoring outburst games.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Beasley has played FANTASTIC sans a couple plays tonight. In related news, Gambo is a insufferable hack, still talking **** about his defense despite him playing well on that end tonight.