Suns vs Grizzlies 5pm 7/13/17

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And that's why James sucks. Waves jj awaythe. Plays hero ball and makes a bad pass to a crashing jj.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James was the hero and zero all in the same game.

James didn't want Josh Jackson at the top of the key setting a pick. He wanted to go one on one.

Too bad. Tough loss.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When James doesn't make it all about him, he is excellent. Seemed like he learned that lesson, but reverted back when it mattered.

Push comes to shove, the hope for this team was for Jackson and Reed to flash as good picks and to see improvement in Bender.

Seems like a success in all three cases.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dang bad mistake on the last play but the suns young players played pretty well.

Now lets get onto the real season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
RIP Hamilton should be a color commentator in the big leagues. He's seems to be very knowledgeable and speaks well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame the coaches for that. They obviously gave him the green light to play the outside. Apparently they think this 7 fter shouldnt play inside?

Last season, I do not think Bender had the strength to play inside. This may be why he took so many 3's.

This season he has added more weight and appears stronger. The coaches should definitely expand his game. I was glad to see him play more of an all-around game in summer league. Hopefully this should carry over to the regular season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am so tired of hero ball pg play in the NBA. It's happening everywhere. Everyone thinks he is Steph. Give me a pass first pg every day. Much more entertaining to watch.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am so tired of hero ball pg play in the NBA. It's happening everywhere. Everyone thinks he is Steph. Give me a pass first pg every day. Much more entertaining to watch.

Agreed 100%.

The Summer League Suns coach, Marlon Garnett, had a quote about telling James he needs to be a "floor general" to succeed. It was clear he was following that direction the last two games, and it made all the difference in the way the team played. With the game on the line, he reverted back to old habits and the Suns paid for it.

I have never regretted losing IT for this reason (although we DEFINITELY sold too low), and it's a big part of why I'm so high on Ulis.

I think Bledsoe is somewhere in between. He's a willing passer, but not necessarily gifted at creating opportunities for teammates.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think I'm most excited about Bender than anyone else after this game. If he can put it all together over the next few years he's got a chance to be as good, or better, than Porzingis.

Its rare to see a 7'1" guy move as fluidly as he does. He can hit the jumper, drive, handle the ball, make great passes, defend, rebound, nearly everything. 20 points is solid but just watching him play you can tell he's got so much untapped potential.

1:54, 2:17 and 2:48.

You don't see many 7'1" guys move that well and be able to finish.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many of you new Bender enthusiasts were ready to give up on him a couple of months ago? He showed glimpses last year. Based on this summer league I've moved him ahead of Chriss. Hopefully they both turn into All Stars.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think anyone changed their mind drastically. For the ones who are convinced he is a bust, a couple of summer league games are not going to change their mind. I also don't think the other group are "enthusiasts". Rather, we think he is a very talented young man who may or may not "figure it out" and become a good player.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
How many of you new Bender enthusiasts were ready to give up on him a couple of months ago? He showed glimpses last year. Based on this summer league I've moved him ahead of Chriss. Hopefully they both turn into All Stars.

I was 50/50 on Bender. Then he got hurt. Last season was basically wasted. He has been up and down in the SL but he shows so many flashes of being great. Hard not to be excited.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always been high on Bender. I have been optimistic about Chriss too, but more so Bender. To me, his defense gives him the edge over Chriss.

I want Bender to get the minutes Chriss got last year.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Go Bender! His weight is pretty good now. Just needs to build confidence and aggressiveness. Hope he gets plenty of minutes with Ulis, A1 and Reed. Looking forward to the season. Play hard, play to win.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I thought Bender was a reach when we picked him and, later, I thought the Porzingis comparisons were far-fetched but I was never among those who were writing him off. I hope Slin shows up again so I can rib him unmercifully how far wrong he was on Bender. This could be fun for years...

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought Bender was a reach when we picked him and, later, I thought the Porzingis comparisons were far-fetched but I was never among those who were writing him off. I hope Slin shows up again so I can rib him unmercifully how far wrong he was on Bender. This could be fun for years...

And he hated ball ... or at least thought fultz was a far superior player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he hated ball ... or at least thought fultz was a far superior player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A number of us went round and round with Slin about Ball. I argued that Ball and Fultz were very close. He wanted to say that Fultz was far superior.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like bender upside it didnt look good early against memphis but he really got going in the 2nd half! I like how quick his 3 pt release is he will get better in post moves as he gets more pt.

Suns may not win a ton of gm next year but they will be a fun young team :). Hope i am wrong on the wins btw.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wheres that white guy we drafted? I heard he can shoot

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A number of us went round and round with Slin about Ball. I argued that Ball and Fultz were very close. He wanted to say that Fultz was far superior.

My big board was ball #1 fultz #2 and it wasn't even close. And Jackson at #3 - who was pushing Fultz for #2 but for the fairly large gulf in stats - I loved because of his playmaking and assists from a forward position; reckon he's a good chance to get > 5 a game in a couple years time.

Not that we need to go into again but it's the not-making-teammates-better thing that turned me off fultz, the total opposite of suns players like Nash and Kidd.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ball certainly looks like the difference maker some of us thought he'd be. I still hope for the lakers' sake that he's not it very good once real games start

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92