Suns @ Trail Blazers game thread 10-28-17

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm glad Bender is playing well. Some people jumped on the "bust" bandwagon way too quick with him. For being the #4 overall pick there is a lot to be desired but if nothing else he's proven to be an NBA player, especially on the defensive end of the court which I don't think anyone predicted. .

Him being solid defensively is literally the only thing I predicted - from his scouting videos you could tell he had excellent lateral movement, and he's long. That's two pretty big clues right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Bender had solid arc on his shot in this game and he shot pretty well. Now he just needs to find a way to make this a consistent thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised they haven't tried Derrick Jones Jr at SG some. He doesn't have the outside shot that Daniels does but he's a good defender and supposedly improved a lot over the offseason. I don't think he's seen any time though. He should be active with Knight, Williams, and Reed being inactive. Peters has been active and I liked what I saw of him in brief time. That's one downside to the team since Triano has taken over, we haven't had any garbage time to clear the bench and see DJJ, Peters, and maybe trying James and Ulis together.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bender had solid arc on his shot in this game and he shot pretty well. Now he just needs to find a way to make this a consistent thing.

I think Bender will eventually be a decent scorer...at a minimum. Anything else is bonus considering his defense is advancing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man Booker is gonna need help on the offensive end. Warren is super streaky he can fill it up but he's just not consistent.

Someone needs to tell Daniels his name isn't curry yeah I understand why he's on the team but lord

I love what I see from bender he just needs to get stronger and more agressive on the offensive end. I'm thinking he might be an Andre Kirelinko type a Swiss army knife type player for us

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a frontcourt player who can add 15+ a night, every night. Not sure if Chriss will get there. I like him but I just don't see him what he brings to the table offensively. He doesn't have post moves, a consistent outside jumper, and can't create his own shot. So he's stuck getting what gets spoon-fed to him offensively and that's it. If Warren could be more consistent we'd be good offensively but he might be better suited in a bench/6th man/instant offense role. If he's off then at least we can fall back on our starters or hope another player in the 2nd unit can step it up. Jackson's offense still needs work though, I wouldn't switch him and Warren yet but if JJ is scoring better around the All-Star break then I'd make the switch with those 2.

Next offseason they need to send Chriss to practice with Hakeem Olajuwon's post camp that he hosts. After that I'd like to see the organization reach out to Stoudemire to play with him during the summer and hope some of his offensive game rubs off. I'd give him a ton of film of Stat during the Nash years to watch as well. Chriss and Jackson have a chance to be a better version of Stat and Marion because they won't be playing them out of position. Jackson is a much better ball handler than Marion ever dreamt of being. Chriss filling Amare's shoes is a stretch and will be harder but if he can be the Stat we had before Nash came back that could be huge for us. Hopefully he doesn't try bulking up again. Maybe once he gets into true game shape in December he'll look much better than he has so far.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Chriss has had a better attitude lately. He's not been complaining that much and he even sprinted back after a turn over. Very pleased to see that. I agree Booker needs help. I thought Warren or Jackson would be more consistent but it's still early. Triano should draw up some plays to involve Warren.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The front court (starters and bench) combined to have a good amount of rebounds. The two Point Guards did well with assists. Booker, of course, led the way in scoring.

But Daniels had no points in 15 minutes. That lapse in 15 of 48 minutes at Shooting Guard was the difference.

He was the Suns goat (and I don't mean greatest of all time). :) He was the weak link. I hope the Front Office is taking a look at that. And not by looking for a tweener now that we've moved past that.

Edit: 'Sorry, Poop Head. Your comments about Daniels posted while I was typing.

I can see Daniels being included in a trade. His 3 and No D will be fine for a playoff team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised they haven't tried Derrick Jones Jr at SG some. He doesn't have the outside shot that Daniels does but he's a good defender and supposedly improved a lot over the offseason. I don't think he's seen any time though. He should be active with Knight, Williams, and Reed being inactive. Peters has been active and I liked what I saw of him in brief time. That's one downside to the team since Triano has taken over, we haven't had any garbage time to clear the bench and see DJJ, Peters, and maybe trying James and Ulis together.
What? DJJ is literally the worst defender on the squad. He’s all athlete, no game.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to remember Chriss didn't even start playing basketball till he was in high school he's still very raw but he's headed in the right direction now

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have to remember Chriss didn't even start playing basketball till he was in high school he's still very raw but he's headed in the right direction now

I haven't given up n Chriss because he does show flashes of talent and athletic ability. I just don't know if he can pull it altogether nightly....at least not in the near future. Plus I want more rebounding and defense out of him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't given up n Chriss because he does show flashes of talent and athletic ability. I just don't know if he can pull it altogether nightly....at least not in the near future. Plus I want more rebounding and defense out of him.

What I don't like about Chriss is his attitude you can see flashes of it going sideways real fast.

If you can get the right package I wouldn't mind putting him in with Bledsoe to sweeten the deal

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I don't like about Chriss is his attitude you can see flashes of it going sideways real fast.

If you can get the right package I wouldn't mind putting him in with Bledsoe to sweeten the deal

Yeah I can't say I'd be totally opposed to it. Depends on the deal.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I'd like to see the same. And I'm wondering how we can get rid of Knight when he heals.

As with Bledsoe, Knight is not a skilled Point Guard nor is he not a skilled Shooting Guard. And not even as skilled as Bledsoe in what he does do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's package Bledsoe, Knight and Chandler.

If the Suns can get Dudley in there so much the better. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see the same. And I'm wondering how we can get rid of Knight when he heals.

As with Bledsoe, Knight is not a skilled Point Guard nor is he not a skilled Shooting Guard. And not even as skilled as Bledsoe in what he does do.
Knight is sort of out of my mind. Seems like we can worry about him later.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Let's package Bledsoe, Knight and Chandler.

If the Suns can get Dudley in there so much the better. :D
My take is slightly different. Package Bledsoe, Knight and Dudley. Or trade them separately.

At his age, Chandler is no longer the difference maker that brought Dallas its only championship, but he fills a very needed role in a positive way on this young Suns team. I hope he retires with the Suns.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My take is slightly different. Package Bledsoe, Knight and Dudley. Or trade them separately.

At his age, Chandler is no longer the difference maker that brought Dallas its only championship, but he fills a very needed role in a positive way on this young Suns team. I hope he retires with the Suns.

Nobody wants Bledsoe, knight and Dudley

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was joking around hence the big grin smilie at the end.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Just turned on the game and almost turned it off after hearing Leander on play by play. Hopefully the Suns play well because I can't stand Leander and won't be able to suffer through him and ugly basketball.
Give him another chance. Not one "elevates and detonates." He may have learned from his past transgressions. I thought he was on par with KRay this game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give him another chance. Not one "elevates and detonates." He may have learned from his past transgressions. I thought he was on par with KRay this game.

He wasn't that bad in what I saw and heard, I didn't hear "Orange CRUSH" once. Glad he was with Eddie Johnson, who I really like as a color commentator, he's better than Annie but I actually like him more than some of the national commentators. He knows what he's talking about and sprinkles in some good anecdotes throughout the game. Eddie made a few jokes at Leander's expense which was nice and probably helped keep him in line. I like Kevin Ray for the most part, he's an improvement over Albert but I'm not sure how long they'll stick with him. I just don't see him having a long tenure as our play-by-play guy.

Superbone

Reaction score
He wasn't that bad in what I saw and heard, I didn't hear "Orange CRUSH" once. Glad he was with Eddie Johnson, who I really like as a color commentator, he's better than Annie but I actually like him more than some of the national commentators. He knows what he's talking about and sprinkles in some good anecdotes throughout the game. Eddie made a few jokes at Leander's expense which was nice and probably helped keep him in line. I like Kevin Ray for the most part, he's an improvement over Albert but I'm not sure how long they'll stick with him. I just don't see him having a long tenure as our play-by-play guy.
Yeah, so far KRay is kind of just...there. Reminds me of the old TV series, Dragnet. "Just the facts, ma'am."

Errntknght

Reaction score
Albert is gone? Why wasn't I invited to the celebratory party? I can watch with my sound on again! Actually I'd gotten pretty good at tuning him out mentally and when he broke through, I used the volume control. EJ's stories can wear a bit thin sometimes but generally I like him and think his analysis adds to the game.

Superbone

Reaction score
Albert is gone? Why wasn't I invited to the celebratory party? I can watch with my sound on again! Actually I'd gotten pretty good at tuning him out mentally and when he broke through, I used the volume control. EJ's stories can wear a bit thin sometimes but generally I like him and think his analysis adds to the game.
Yep. Albert retired this summer.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah, so far KRay is kind of just...there. Reminds me of the old TV series, Dragnet. "Just the facts, ma'am."
Kevin Ray is stiff. He will always be stiff. It is the personality he's shown whether on the sidelines or calling play-by-play. I've watched him do play-by-play with the Mercury. If he were a player, Ray would be called a 'career Minor Leaguer'.

That, plus the previous choice of the runt of the Albert litter (the Catskill comedian out of his element) as our last play-by-play guy and all the the bush league actions prior to Game 4 this season come down to one 'career Minor Leaguer' -- Robert Sarver, the guy calling the shots.

Even if he leaves his hands off -- completely leaves his hands off other than reviewing finances -- for the rest of the season, I fear that we will be back in the old mess for next season if Jay Triano decides he does not want to be named permanent Head Coach. JT is authoritative but compassionate at the same time and is realistic about what it takes to build a winner in the NBA, both in his planning and action.

On a personal note, I am so glad he immediately dropped the concept of position-less basketball. You need a Center. You need a Power Forward. You need Wings. You need a facilitating Point Guard. On offense and defense. I would be devastated if we go back to five guys randomly running around the court for training camp next year.