Suns Ring of Honor - Who Should Be In?

Who is the Suns next Ring of Honor Member

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
barbosa?!? Man some of you have much different criteria than I do. I mean MUCH different.

I like Barbosa going in a lot more than some of the choices there. Admittedly I was too young for Nance but he wasn't here very long but the most I hear about him is talk of him being traded for KJ and the pick that became Majerle. That's his biggest contribution to the team, IMO. That's the thing I've heard about him the most. I never hear anyone talk about what else he did for the Suns.

I think having some players like Majerle and Chambers sort of lowers the standards some. Chambers was good his first year here but he was the 80's Kevin Love. He was never responsible for a team doing well, he just happened to put up big numbers on some good teams. He didn't do enough in Phoenix to warrant an induction in the Ring though. That should be reserved for all-time greats. Nash, Barkley, KJ, Westphal, Hawkins, Alvin Adams, Dick Van Arsdale, and Walter Davis. Those are all guys that you hear about frequently when talking Suns greats.

Majerle was a fan favorite and a good player but so was Barbosa. Chambers though? What did he do in Phoenix? Made 1 All-Star team? He did score 60 once and I'll give him credit for that but what did he help them do in the postseason? He was just good enough to us to the playoffs but when we upgraded our PF we became contenders.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chambers though? What did he do in Phoenix? Made 1 All-Star team? He did score 60 once and I'll give him credit for that but what did he help them do in the postseason? He was just good enough to us to the playoffs but when we upgraded our PF we became contenders.

TC should absolutely be in the Ring. When he arrived in 88, along with KJ, we turned around years of losing. We made back to back WCFs, only losing to very good Magic Johnson and Clyde Drexler teams. By the time 1992 rolled around TC had gotten a little long in the tooth, and the upgraded leadership, toughness and rebounding Barkley supplied put us over.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa? That would be like putting in Ron Lee. Both were huge fan favorites but neither one of them belong anywhere near the ROH IMO.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
TC should absolutely be in the Ring. When he arrived in 88, along with KJ, we turned around years of losing. We made back to back WCFs, only losing to very good Magic Johnson and Clyde Drexler teams. By the time 1992 rolled around TC had gotten a little long in the tooth, and the upgraded leadership, toughness and rebounding Barkley supplied put us over.
He was the 1st ever FA signing, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was the 1st ever FA signing, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, he was a huge signing for us, especially considering we were just mired in years of losing 50 games. TC made all star games in his first 3 seasons out here, and helped bring Xavier McDaniel out for that toughness, even though it didn't work out.

I don't want to come off like I'm going at Poop Head, the guy is my favorite poster on this forum. I just think that TC is underated as a player, and what he did to help build the Suns in 88 should never be overlooked.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like Barbosa going in a lot more than some of the choices there. Admittedly I was too young for Nance but he wasn't here very long but the most I hear about him is talk of him being traded for KJ and the pick that became Majerle. That's his biggest contribution to the team, IMO. That's the thing I've heard about him the most. I never hear anyone talk about what else he did for the Suns.

I think having some players like Majerle and Chambers sort of lowers the standards some. Chambers was good his first year here but he was the 80's Kevin Love. He was never responsible for a team doing well, he just happened to put up big numbers on some good teams. He didn't do enough in Phoenix to warrant an induction in the Ring though. That should be reserved for all-time greats. Nash, Barkley, KJ, Westphal, Hawkins, Alvin Adams, Dick Van Arsdale, and Walter Davis. Those are all guys that you hear about frequently when talking Suns greats.

Majerle was a fan favorite and a good player but so was Barbosa. Chambers though? What did he do in Phoenix? Made 1 All-Star team? He did score 60 once and I'll give him credit for that but what did he help them do in the postseason? He was just good enough to us to the playoffs but when we upgraded our PF we became contenders.
What?!? Chambers was dominant when he got here. He also holds a special place in nba history as the first midnight free agent signing by colangelo. He was a key ingredient along with KJ in resurrecting the suns. And you want barbosa in instead of chambers?!? Barbs who was more like a mascot than an impact player?!?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing Marbury with Kidd was a huge upgrade for them. He makes everyone better.

He was definitely an upgrade, I don't know about "huge". He gets a lot of credit for a major turnaround but injuries had a lot to do with that turnaround. They drafted Richard Jefferson that year and got Kerry Kittles back from injury along with a couple of other key players that finally put together full seasons.

The national narrative at the time was that Kidd had finally come into his own but I think he was just as deserving of MVP consideration while playing for us. But we were in the west and between the East Coast bias and the fact the competition was so much tougher out west, he was routinely overlooked in Phoenix.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding? Chambers put the team back on the map after the coke-scandal that just destroyed the team's reputation. He was THE first midnight FA EVER signed and then he and KJ lead the team (which was awful for years previous) IMMEDIATELY to back to back WCF, 50 wins every year for 5 years and was still the first big man off the bench when they got to the Finals.

I mean, asking what did Chambers do for us... and somehow listing him under BARBOSA shows an laughable amount of ignorance of Suns history.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kidd's got no business in the ring.

And Amare goes in light years ahead of Marion, IMO. He was the difference maker when on the court, and that was in 6 of 7 years he played here, while being the 2nd most important players on two teams that went to WCF and the other that lost in the de fact NBA finals against the Spurs in 2007.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Chambers put the team back on the map after the coke-scandal that just destroyed the team's reputation. He was THE first midnight FA EVER signed and then he and KJ lead the team (which was awful for years previous) IMMEDIATELY to back to back WCF, 50 wins every year for 5 years and was still the first big man off the bench when they got to the Finals.

I mean, asking what did Chambers do for us... and somehow listing him under BARBOSA shows an laughable amount of ignorance of Suns history.

Jesus we share a brain sometimes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And Amare goes in light years ahead of Marion, IMO. He was the difference maker when on the court, and that was in 6 of 7 years he played here, while being the 2nd most important players on two teams that went to WCF and the other that lost in the de fact NBA finals against the Spurs in 2007.

And they also didn't miss a beat when Stat was out for Nash's 2nd season here and the Suns went on to the WCF again, losing to the Mavericks. So both Marion and Stoudemire played in 2 WCF appearances. However when we traded Marion we didn't make the playoffs while Stoudemire was here and healthy that season. I think they're both deserving but they both contributed equally. I don't think one was that much more important than the other during the D'Antoni years. The missed playoff season hurts Stoudemire's time here because we did have a solid team that year before making the Marion for Shaq trade. Porter is also to blame for starting us slow but some falls on the players. Amare and Marion are equal in their accomplishments here, to a certain degree. They both made those teams great.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He was definitely an upgrade, I don't know about "huge". He gets a lot of credit for a major turnaround but injuries had a lot to do with that turnaround. They drafted Richard Jefferson that year and got Kerry Kittles back from injury along with a couple of other key players that finally put together full seasons.

The national narrative at the time was that Kidd had finally come into his own but I think he was just as deserving of MVP consideration while playing for us. But we were in the west and between the East Coast bias and the fact the competition was so much tougher out west, he was routinely overlooked in Phoenix.

Those Nets team were boring but they were defensive juggernauts. Even the 02’ Finals were close games with the exception one game. They won two games in the 03’ finals and probably would’ve won it all in 04’ had Kidd not been playing injured. They blew a 3-1 lead vs Detroit and then Kidd underwent microfracture surgery.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Amare put up the sexy numbers but Marion did the dirty work. Marion led those teams in win shares over Nash/Amare because he was a two-way player. Amare given his talent should’ve been a top-5 rebounder in the league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those Kidd Nets teams were NEVER a real threat to win it all...NEVER.

4-2 is not really close and they never had a shot in hell against the Lakers.

I don't think any of those guys belong in the ring of honor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they also didn't miss a beat when Stat was out for Nash's 2nd season here and the Suns went on to the WCF again, losing to the Mavericks. So both Marion and Stoudemire played in 2 WCF appearances. However when we traded Marion we didn't make the playoffs while Stoudemire was here and healthy that season.

Boy... you continue to show you're complete lack of knowledge of Suns history. After we traded Marion and Stat was here and healthy that season, they went on to still win 55 games and get into the playoffs. And the next season they missed the playoffs but that was because Stat missed the second half of the season with the eye injury. The next season he was back completely healthy, they went right back to the playoffs and got to the WCF.

I think they're both deserving but they both contributed equally. I don't think one was that much more important than the other during the D'Antoni years. The missed playoff season hurts Stoudemire's time here because we did have a solid team that year before making the Marion for Shaq trade. Porter is also to blame for starting us slow but some falls on the players. Amare and Marion are equal in their accomplishments here, to a certain degree. They both made those teams great.

Only the reason they missed the playoffs is because Amare missed every game after the All-Star break because of his eye injury.

It's really hard to talk about subjective things when you don't even have a grasp of the objective facts in the situation.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Those Kidd Nets teams were NEVER a real threat to win it all...NEVER.

4-2 is not really close and they never had a shot in hell against the Lakers.

I don't think any of those guys belong in the ring of honor.

Their best shot was 04’ before Kidd’s knee issues. They used to work over Detroit back then who ended up working over the Lakers. So I would disagree they weren’t a threat. It just wasn’t sexy basketball during that era.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boy... you continue to show you're complete lack of knowledge of Suns history. After we traded Marion and Stat was here and healthy that season, they went on to still win 55 games and get into the playoffs. And the next season they missed the playoffs but that was because Stat missed the second half of the season with the eye injury. The next season he was back completely healthy, they went right back to the playoffs and got to the WCF.

Only the reason they missed the playoffs is because Amare missed every game after the All-Star break because of his eye injury.

It's really hard to talk about subjective things when you don't even have a grasp of the objective facts in the situation.

Excuse me for making a mistake, does that necessitate you being a smarmy bitch though?

What did I get wrong, the one year they missed the playoffs. That happened in Marions first full year gone instead of the half a season he missed after he was traded away. Everything else is right. How many WCF did each play in? 2, right? Yes. Instead, because I don't view Amare as light years ahead of Marion though you want to single me out and whine. That's what you're doing. Rather than objectively debate, you've resorted to insulting me. Really classy.

I got 2 season mixed up, I'm sorry. I even said in a previous post that I didn't have access to stats right now but that doesn't matter, I jumbled two seasons in my memory and you dedicate a whole post to insulting me for that. When the basics of what I said are still true. But you wouldn't be Cheese if you passed up the chance to be a dick, now would you?

Did the Suns miss the playoffs with Amare and Shaq? Yes. Was Amare injured? Yes, he had an eye injury but that doesn't change the point that I made. That was also Porter's first year here, like I said. When Marion was here and the Suns played without Amare, they still went to the playoffs. When Marion was gone and Stoudemire was here, they missed the playoffs, right? Ok, Amare did miss 30 games. That first year that started without Marion when Amare was injured he also had a bad season, posting a career low in rebounds per game, 8.1 and averaged just 21.4 ppg which was his 2nd worst scoring total in the Nash years. He played in 53 games. Marion helped Amare play better. I'm not even the only one who said that Marion and Stoudemire are closer than you think but you singled me out for some reason, why?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calm down party people. I have to agree Amare was a game changer. Sure Marion was a dirt worker and a very very good player for us. However, there were some years when Amare was on top of his game he was one of the most dominate players in the league.

Amare should get in before Marion but that is not because I think Marion isn't worthy.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe a decent argument can be made that the next Suns player inducted will be Booker.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You would be super pissed if someone talked down to you as a fan in a thread like this. So please stop

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Calm down party people. I have to agree Amare was a game changer. Sure Marion was a dirt worker and a very very good player for us. However, there were some years when Amare was on top of his game he was one of the most dominate players in the league.

Amare should get in before Marion but that is not because I think Marion isn't worthy.

Amare was a game changer but he needed Nash didn't he? It's like where is this line of thought going?

I think Marion's game was far more complete. He played both sides of the ball ...scored , rebounded...virtually did everything.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe a decent argument can be made that the next Suns player inducted will be Booker.

I think both Amare and Marion will be in at some point in the next 10 years. I'd guess if one or both are not yet in on the 20th anny of the '05 team, they'll get in to honor that squad.

That team didn't win a title but it changed the NBA in ways few teams have.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would put in Amare and Marion around the same time. They just have to induct Marion first, or make his name twice as big, so he doesn’t get mad.

Also D’Antoni (after he retires, or someday when he’s the Suns coach again :ducks).

Kidd did not do enough as a Sun to overcome offcourt issues.