Suns Ring of Honor - Who Should Be In?

Who is the Suns next Ring of Honor Member

• Total voters

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this came up in another thread and I find myself counting the days til the NBA Schedule comes out.

Who should be next for the Suns Ring of Honor?

Here is who currently is on it:

Alvan Adams
Charles Barkley
Tom Chambers
Jerry Colangelo
Walter Davis
Cotton Fitzsimmons
Connie Hawkins
Kevin Johnson
John McCloud
Dan Marjele
Al McCoy
Steve Nash
Joe Proski
Dick Van Arsdale
Paul Westphal

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are going to complain about that last choice but D'Antoni is:

3rd in wins (above Westphal)
2nd in win % (Below Westphal but above Cotton)
3rd in Games (above Westphal)
2nd in Playoff Games and Playoff Wins (Both above Westphal)

Cases to be made for all the players and strong ones

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion: 2nd least league decorated, most Suns stats.

4x All Star, 2x All NBA 3rd Team
Franchise Stats: #4 in scoring, #1 in defensive rebounds, #2 in total rebounds, #3 in blocks, #2 in steals, #2 in minutes played, #5 in PER, #4 in offensive win shares, #2 in defensive win shares.

Stoudemire: Nice mix of league decorations and Suns stats.

5x All Star, ROY, All NBA First Team, 3x All NBA 2nd Team
Franchise Stats: #6 in scoring, #5 in Blocks, #3 in rebounds, #8 in minutes played, #3 in FTs, #2 in PER, #5 in Offensive Win Shares, #6 in Defensive Win Shares

Kidd: Well decorated in the league, least in Suns Stats

3x All Star, 3x Led NBA in Assists. 3x First All Team NBA,
Franchise Stats: #5 in assists, #8 in Steals, #8 in defensive win shares

Nance: Least league recognized, Decent Franchise Stats.

1x All Star, 1st Dunk Champion
Franchise Stats: #9 in Scoring, #1 in Blocks, #4 in rebounding, #9 in minutes played, #9 in Steals (crazy stat for a 4/5), #8 PER, #9 Offensive Wins Shares, #4 Defensive Win Shares

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People are going to complain about that last choice but D'Antoni is:

3rd in wins (above Westphal)
2nd in win % (Below Westphal but above Cotton)
3rd in Games (above Westphal)
2nd in Playoff Games and Playoff Wins (Both above Westphal)

Cases to be made for all the players and strong ones
I am guessing you’re limiting your comparison of Dantoni to Westphal only in terms of coaching and not factoring in westy was an important suns player, who legendarily came up with the strategy for the Shot Heard Round the World in the 76 finals, right?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am guessing you’re limiting your comparison of Dantoni to Westphal only in terms of coaching and not factoring in westy was an important suns player, who legendarily came up with the strategy for the Shot Heard Round the World in the 76 finals, right?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Suns retired Westphal's jersey before he ever coached a game for them.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct was just looking at the 4 coaches on the list and D'Antoni is right there with them all

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Suns retired Westphal's jersey before he ever coached a game for them.

Very close, he was an assistant then.

I wouldn't even think of him as a legendary Suns player so my bad.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni revolutionized the game and brought a lot of excitement to the valley . Marion is a no brainier IMO.

Stoudemire (and even Marjele) seemed iffy to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very close, he was an assistant then.

I wouldn't even think of him as a legendary Suns player so my bad.

He was before my time, but I remember my mom viewed him as the best player in franchise history prior to the late 80s.

Just looked up his career numbers and he was 3x all nba first team as a Sun... wow.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good question here is who will never be in the Ring of Honor out of these 5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was before my time, but I remember my mom viewed him as the best player in franchise history prior to the late 80s.

Just looked up his career numbers and he was 3x all nba first team as a Sun... wow.

Westy was incredible. He was susceptible to physical defenders and as a result he usually struggled against the Lionel Hollins type guards but he was one of the game's best when he was in Phoenix. Incredible competitor at everything he did.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree - no chance Kidd makes it in. A great career, and even a few good years as a Sun. But his legacy here isn't that strong compared to others, and tainted by some controversy.

I think both Marion and Amare make it in, though not sure who goes first. A good argument could be made for Nance, though I think his time here was too short.

I would argue that D'Antoni did as much damage as good, with his stubborn approach to running the team on the floor... not to mention his horrific work as the defacto front office personnel guy.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stoudemire had a big initial impact and had some good years after microfracture but I kind of view his career as incomplete. Plus he didn't play defense or rebound as much as I would have liked.

Having said that if they put him in the ROH I wouldnt be against it totally..he was something to behold and gave us a lot of great memories .

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kidd just wasn’t here long enough but his peak was higher than most those guys. It’s just a shame we surrounded him with players that didn’t compliment him (I know they tried with McDyess).

New Jersey knew what they were doing pairing him with athletic players.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Westphal is in the ROH more for his playing than coaching. He was my favorite player when I was a kid.

I'd go Amare and then Marion. You could even bring them in together.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kidd just wasn’t here long enough but his peak was higher than most those guys. It’s just a shame we surrounded him with players that didn’t compliment him (I know they tried with McDyess).

New Jersey knew what they were doing pairing him with athletic players.

I think New Jersey's decision to be in the East had more to do with Kidd's rise to MVP contender.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another good question here is who will never be in the Ring of Honor out of these 5.

Kidd is that person. I think Nance is more deserving but an odd choice to be on the list also.

I think Barbosa should be on the list. I know he wasn't as flashy as Nash, Stat, or Marion but the longevity of his time here and also having 3 stints with the team which makes him similar to Majerle in a way. I would say Barbosa compares to Majerle also as far as inductees. I'm on my phone so I can't look up numbers but I'd Barbosa before anyone on that list, actually. Definitely before Kidd and Nance.

D'Antoni seems reasonable but so long as he's coaching in the league, and on a contender in the West, I'm not sure about inducting him. Maybe if he was announcing his retirement from coaching or something, then do it on his last trip through the valley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see Sarver never putting D'Antoni in out of spite.

I don't think so. I think they mended that riff. He had D'Antoni come and host Nash's induction. That speaks positively to Sarver's view on him to a certain degree. I don't think he has any remaining issues with him. If there's a former coach or executive he may hold a grudge against I would think Kerr before D'Antoni. He sold his shares of the team and split to Golden State to win titles. Not that long after he failed to make the Stat for Curry trade. Sure, Golden State is to blame for that but knowing Kerr split to go there has to sting a little bit.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Marion is probably the next one. Amare should get in as well. No chance that Kidd ever makes it in.
As for D'Antoni... despite my personal feelings, he was a part of that Nash/Marion/Amare teams, so I think he should get in.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So this came up in another thread and I find myself counting the days til the NBA Schedule comes out.

Who should be next for the Suns Ring of Honor?

Here is who currently is on it:

Alvan Adams
Charles Barkley
Tom Chambers
Jerry Colangelo
Walter Davis
Cotton Fitzsimmons
Connie Hawkins
Kevin Johnson
John McCloud
Dan Marjele
Al McCoy
Steve Nash
Joe Proski
Dick Van Arsdale
Paul Westphal
Wasn't Walter Davis part of the scandal? That may keep him out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Marion: 2nd least league decorated, most Suns stats.

4x All Star, 2x All NBA 3rd Team
Franchise Stats: #4 in scoring, #1 in defensive rebounds, #2 in total rebounds, #3 in blocks, #2 in steals, #2 in minutes played, #5 in PER, #4 in offensive win shares, #2 in defensive win shares.

Stoudemire: Nice mix of league decorations and Suns stats.

5x All Star, ROY, All NBA First Team, 3x All NBA 2nd Team
Franchise Stats: #6 in scoring, #5 in Blocks, #3 in rebounds, #8 in minutes played, #3 in FTs, #2 in PER, #5 in Offensive Win Shares, #6 in Defensive Win Shares

Kidd: Well decorated in the league, least in Suns Stats

3x All Star, 3x Led NBA in Assists. 3x First All Team NBA,
Franchise Stats: #5 in assists, #8 in Steals, #8 in defensive win shares

Nance: Least league recognized, Decent Franchise Stats.

1x All Star, 1st Dunk Champion
Franchise Stats: #9 in Scoring, #1 in Blocks, #4 in rebounding, #9 in minutes played, #9 in Steals (crazy stat for a 4/5), #8 PER, #9 Offensive Wins Shares, #4 Defensive Win Shares
Kidd's never gonna get in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the following is the anti-ring likelihood (in order of least likely to possible):
Kidd is that person. I think Nance is more deserving but an odd choice to be on the list also.

I think Barbosa should be on the list. I know he wasn't as flashy as Nash, Stat, or Marion but the longevity of his time here and also having 3 stints with the team which makes him similar to Majerle in a way. I would say Barbosa compares to Majerle also as far as inductees. I'm on my phone so I can't look up numbers but I'd Barbosa before anyone on that list, actually. Definitely before Kidd and Nance.

D'Antoni seems reasonable but so long as he's coaching in the league, and on a contender in the West, I'm not sure about inducting him. Maybe if he was announcing his retirement from coaching or something, then do it on his last trip through the valley.
barbosa?!? Man some of you have much different criteria than I do. I mean MUCH different.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson