Suns players who were bonafide superstars plus tiers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, before this season I was nervous that he was DeMar DeRozan 2.0, a all-star but not really the best player on a contending team. Even at the beginning and middle of the season it seemed like he was just good enough but not "legendary."

He's been insane this playoff run and I am blown away at how much he has stepped up in all aspects. Defense, rebounding, passing, controlling the pace. I'm stunned

same. I’ve knocked Book a bit for his rebounding for a two guard and his turnovers, but he has literally raised his game in every area. That’s the sign of a superstar. Someone who shines brightest when the lights shine the same.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Ayton's 22 and the difference between how he is playing now and how he was playing at the beginning of this season is astonishing.
They always say big men take longer to develop. It appears that they are right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's 22 and the difference between how he is playing now and how he was playing at the beginning of this season is astonishing.

yeah... this growth spurt on the court makes me start salivating for what could be two years from now. We might get that kinda Shaq/Kobe dynamic which was why I banged so hard for Ayton originally.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
yeah... this growth spurt on the court makes me start salivating for what could be two years from now. We might get that kinda Shaq/Kobe dynamic which was why I banged so hard for Ayton originally.

I don't really think we will, and that's ok.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. But only bc shaq was a freak of nature and Kobe was a highest level athlete. Ayton and Booker are not those. And that’s okay, they’re still a phenomenal pairing and look like they’ve got higher ceilings yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just mean more having a dynamic outside/inside game to build around once Paul is gone. Ayton will progress offensively. We've seen glimmers of moves, turnaround jumpers and the like that have been sacrificed for this season. But as the team eventually transitions away from CP3, I think they'll find that dynamic that worked so well for the Duncan/Ginobli/Parker, Shaq/Wade, Shaq/Kobe, Hakeem/Drexler combos that can be devastating.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hakeem and Drexler?

something like that.

or even better... they'll be their own thing. But it's the combo of having an inside/outside threat that can be devastating on offense and almost impossible to stop. And the best part is, DA never HAS to be the Alpha. That's clearly going to be Book. But when Book doesn't have it going, he'll give us that second gear which will make us a matchup nightmare.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like if both Hakeem and Clyde were drafted by the same team?
No. Like if both Hakeem and someone better than Clyde (but not as good as Kobe) were drafted by the same team. Maybe if Hakeem and wade were on the same team (and in the same era).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think either of these guys are comparable on a one to one basis (that I brought up)... I just think they can be a new spin on the inside/outside dynamic that has made other teams forces and even dynasties in the past, especially if Ayton keeps growing into the player he's showing out in these playoffs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you attribute this to?

his role was defined. He’s not out there to create and score on his own. He’s out their as our defensive anchor, rebounder, and being a threat by close shots/dunks.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
What do you attribute this to?

CP for sure has had an effect, he also appears more confident and in control of his body in defense and his hands seem a little better at receiving the ball. I think he is getting more confident and realizing he has the physical attributes to compete with everyone in the floor. I am hoping at some point in this series he realizes he can dominate Morris, Batum, Cousins and even Zubacs with his power and his agility.

When he was drafted, I definitely had too high of expectations and I was hoping he would have Amare's aggression with his ownphysical size. Unfortunately, that isn't his style but he's really surprising me every game.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
TIER I - SUPERSTARS
Charles Barkley
Steve Nash
Connie Hawkins (not a lot left in his legs when he got here)
Paul Westphal (briefly the best guard in the NBA)
Kevin Johnson
Jason Kidd

TIER II - PERENNIAL ALL-STARS
Walter Davis (he was a joy to watch when he came into the league)
Amare Stoudemire
Chris Paul
Shawn Marion
Larry Nance (criminally underrated)
Tom Chambers

TIER III - OCASSIONAL ALL-STARS
Charlie Scott
Dick Van Arsdale
Alvan Adams (he only made it once, but he was a very good all-around player)
Devin Booker
Dennis Johnson (had his best offensive seasons in Phoenix)
Gail Goodrich

TIER IV - BORDERLINE ALL-STARS
Jeff Hornacek
Paul Silas
Dan Majerle
Stephon Marbury
Goran Dragic

TIER V - PLAYOFF QUALITY STARTERS
Neal Walk
Maurice Lucas
Truck Robinson
Danny Manning
Deandre Ayton (should end up much higher)
Clifford Robinson
Eric Bledsoe
Cedric Ceballos
Joe Johnson
Don Buse
Curtis Perry
A.C. Green
Mikal Bridges (he should move up too)
Gar Heard
Clem Haskins

Most underrated - Larry Nance, Alvan Adams, Paul Silas, Charlie Scott, Jeff Hornacek
Most overrated - Tom Chambers, Gail Goodrich, Stephon Marbury, Truck Robinson, Cedric Ceballos
Favorites not on the list - Ronnie Lee, Leandro Barbosa, Ricky Sobers, Rich Kelley, Charles Pittman (got to include him, he's my neighbor!)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I feel the tiers need an automatic bump up for the team that gives us our first NBA Championship. We were discussing the greats in the Suns past, and my contention is Booker is better than all of them if he gets us a title!! That's something no one else could do in our past!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA