Suns meet Michael Beasley and Robin Lopez in LA

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
via facebook

Suns President Lon Babby, GM Lance Blanks and coach Alvin Gentry flew to L.A. on Sunday to meet with free-agent forward Michael Beasley, as well as the team's own restricted free-agent Robin Lopez.

The Suns' hope to meet with guards Eric Gordon, Goran Dragic and Raymond Felton in the coming days.

http://www.nba.com/suns/

Dragic and Felton? eek

But Michael Beasley surprises me. Didn't trust this front office to go for these kind of talented players with some attitude issues.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Beasley?

They better get a world class Psychiatric staff to accompany those elite trainers.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would rather have Wesley Johnson from Min with the team we have right now.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wes Johnson is horrid, he was a head-scratcher in the draft and he is a bust.

I'd definitely be willing to give Beasley a shot. At least he has legitimate allstar caliber talent. Whether he uses it is another question but we need some talent on the team not only good guys.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think I could stomach seeing Beasley in a Suns uniform. I might have to frame him for a crime if we sign him.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Im fine with Beasley, if its for the right money/years. Thats a huge if, what are the chances the Suns overpay him? I say extremely high. He's exactly the type of player I can see the Suns overpaying, to try to sell to the fans that they're making moves, but instead they could get hamstrung with an overly long of expensive contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just posted this in another thread:

Stay the hell away from Michael Beasley.

He has the rare distinction of getting worse each season. He is a complete abomination defensively and on the glass. He might "score" but roughly 90% of the league could score if they took all the shots and possessions that Beasley does. So when you account for how terribly inefficient Beasley is then it completely mitigates his value as a scorer, and when you take that away Beasley is among the worst players in the entire league.

MOST of the league has figured that out, the Wolves spent several months last season trying to give him away and couldnt find any takers. But there is probably be a few idiot teams who see the flash but dont realize how horrific he is to team success and will offer him some money, and I dont care what amount they sign him for, if it has a 2nd year on the contract, they will deeply regret it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has the rare distinction of getting worse each season. He is a complete abomination defensively and on the glass. He might "score" but roughly 90% of the league could score if they took all the shots and possessions that Beasley does. So when you account for how terribly inefficient Beasley is then it completely mitigates his value as a scorer, and when you take that away Beasley is among the worst players in the entire league.

MOST of the league has figured that out, the Wolves spent several months last season trying to give him away and couldnt find any takers. But there is probably be a few idiot teams who see the flash but dont realize how horrific he is to team success and will offer him some money, and I dont care what amount they sign him for, if it has a 2nd year on the contract, they will deeply regret it.

Don't worry, the Suns have their best men on the job. ;)

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score

I feel the same way about Kaman, but honestly.. this is a little strong. Beasley took half as many shots last year as he did the year before. His minutes decreased a bunch with the addition of D.Williams. I'd rather have him on Childress' deal than Childress on it. He shoots 45% and takes a lot of outside shots. He has decent moves around the basket and is an excellent ball handler for his size. He is kind of a black hole. 1 assist per game? Come on man! Also, he is a fairly poopy rebounder. I honestly have not watched enough T-pups games to comment on his defense. Though, can it be any worse than Warricks or Fryes? Probably not.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Kaman, but honestly.. this is a little strong. Beasley took half as many shots last year as he did the year before. His minutes decreased a bunch with the addition of D.Williams. I'd rather have him on Childress' deal than Childress on it. He shoots 45% and takes a lot of outside shots. He has decent moves around the basket and is an excellent ball handler for his size. He is kind of a black hole. 1 assist per game? Come on man! Also, he is a fairly poopy rebounder. I honestly have not watched enough T-pups games to comment on his defense. Though, can it be any worse than Warricks or Fryes? Probably not.

Thats like saying you'd rather be have diarrhea than be extremely constipated. I will vote for neither.

Frye is an immeasurably better defender than Beasley. Beasley just plain does not play defense. He might as well not be there, similar to Warrick. Just because he would represent an upgrade over Warrick does not mean we should sign him. Half the D-League would be an upgrade over Warrick.

My ripping on Beasley is no exaggerated. And you're right, he takes a ton of outside shots, which is part of the reason he is so horribly inefficient on offense, he does not get to the line. He wont go inside, he wont go to the rim, he gobbles up the shot clock and takes jumpers and does everything else at an obscenely bad level.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I didn't watch to many Wolvs games but looking at his stat line and what I have seen from him in the past, he might be worth a shot, but at a reasonable offer. Just not much for SF talent in this years market.

If we can work a S&T deal with Toronto for Nash/(Bad Contract-Childress or Warrick), We can take back Calderon and say DeRozen or Davis that would give us a usable piece.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think Beasley makes sense if Nash was still around, he'd make a decent PnR partner and Nash's leadership and influence could probably keep Beasley in line. With Nash appearing to be on the way out though, I'm a big no on Beasley as well.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think Beasley makes sense if Nash was still around, he'd make a decent PnR partner and Nash's leadership and influence could probably keep Beasley in line. With Nash appearing to be on the way out though, I'm a big no on Beasley as well.

Marshall is a good PnR playmaker as well.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Remains to be seen if Marshall is a good PnR player. As of now I would say no but he can develop that along with his shot.

OJ Mayo is a very good PnR player however and very good defender.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't watch to many Wolvs games but looking at his stat line and what I have seen from him in the past, he might be worth a shot, but at a reasonable offer. Just not much for SF talent in this years market.

If we can work a S&T deal with Toronto for Nash/(Bad Contract-Childress or Warrick), We can take back Calderon and say DeRozen or Davis that would give us a usable piece.

TOR will not give up either DeRozen or Davis for Nash. They may trade Calderon, I would prefer Bayless because he is young, cheap and has some talent if he can put it together he could be a good piece going forward.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
TOR will not give up either DeRozen or Davis for Nash. They may trade Calderon, I would prefer Bayless because he is young, cheap and has some talent if he can put it together he could be a good piece going forward.

They maybe willing to part with Davis or DeRozen. They drafted Ross and Acy and have Jonas Valanciunas coming in this year. They have alot of young talent to replace either one's production. Bargani can play SF, PF or C.

Heck they may even try to move Bargani... might be an option for us also. Not to happy about his deal but maybe worth a look.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They maybe willing to part with Davis or DeRozen. They drafted Ross and Acy and have Jonas Valanciunas coming in this year. They have alot of young talent to replace either one's production. Bargani can play SF, PF or C.

Heck they may even try to move Bargani... might be an option for us also. Not to happy about his deal but maybe worth a look.

i don't think there's any universe that exists that Toronto trades Davis/DeRozen or Bargnani for a 38 year old PG on his last legs, especially considering they will have cap space to sign Nash outright when they amnesty Calderon. why would they do any of the above?

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i don't think there's any universe that exists that Toronto trades Davis/DeRozen or Bargnani for a 38 year old PG on his last legs, especially considering they will have cap space to sign Nash outright when they amnesty Calderon.

where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Think about this, if they amnesty Calderon they still have to pay him it just doesn't show up on the books. If PHX wants the guy for Nash, why wouldn't you trade him so you do not have to pay him $10M plus pay Nash his new contract?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about this, if they amnesty Calderon they still have to pay him it just doesn't show up on the books. If PHX wants the guy for Nash, why wouldn't you trade him so you do not have to pay him $10M plus pay Nash his new contract?

so, they're going to get rid of their best young talent just to move that contract and get Nash back? Lon Babby/Sarver aren't running that team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
so, they're going to get rid of their best young talent just to move that contract and get Nash back? Lon Babby/Sarver aren't running that team.

What young talent? They will trade Calderon & maybe a TPE to cover Nash's new contract. I didn't say they would trade any young talent, maybe Bayless (he is not their best young talent) but he is a RFA and they may be willing to let him go if they get Nash in return.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What young talent? They will trade Calderon & maybe a TPE to cover Nash's new contract. I didn't say they would trade any young talent, maybe Bayless (he is not their best young talent) but he is a RFA and they may be willing to let him go if they get Nash in return.

oh... was getting you confused with the "toronto might trade derozen/davis/bargnani for nash" post earlier.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard