The Suns FO is not that bad....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But, you're right, this roster clearly did not excite the fan base at any time.

Steve

With good reason. I honestly think I'd trade our roster for any other roster in the league, including Charlotte. The only other team with a roster as putrid as ours is Orlando.

Suns fans are unquestionably the most loyal and established of all AZ fans, and Sarver has alienated the majority of them in very short order. The initial hate has quickly moved to indifference, which is far worse.

Not good times.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And here I am, visiting a Suns board daily, after the trade deadline, in a year like this.

I am pathetic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here I am, visiting a Suns board daily, after the trade deadline, in a year like this.

I am pathetic.

don't be so hard on yourself. this place is like crack regardless of whether the suns are good or bad. it's more like a counseling group then a message board and misery loves company JC!

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the Suns FO was right about Hunter over Gentry.

The Suns are playing harder for Hunter in just these past 14 games or so than they have for Gentry in the past 2 and a half years.

I like that Hunter has installed a "toughness" persona into this team. Even when they lose, these guys still fight to the very end. They don't get scared easy and aren't backing off anyone. Its nice to see that.

Also, the Suns trade for Wes Johnson is also looking pretty great right about now. Looks like a Sefolosha type of player. Great defender/shooter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its now obvious that Gentry had to go. Wes Johnson and Kendall Marshall would have never seen the light of day. I doubt we would have traded for Marcus (big assumption on my part).

I doubt any of the assistant coaches would have run anything much different than Gentry.

I am not sold on Hunter, its just now clear that a page had to be turned.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Its now obvious that Gentry had to go. Wes Johnson and Kendall Marshall would have never seen the light of day. I doubt we would have traded for Marcus (big assumption on my part).

I doubt any of the assistant coaches would have run anything much different than Gentry.

I am not sold on Hunter, its just now clear that a page had to be turned.
I agree with your obviousities and doubts.

In retrospect, we gained in some areas and have lost nothing of significance, except maybe a few extra points and rebounds from Gortat. How I wanted him to succeed in Phoenix. Oh well!

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does Gortat still even play for the Suns?

Only time I noticed him was in that one game vs the Spurs last week.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he's one of our better dancers.

Steve
Doo, doo da doo, doo da doo, bomp bomp. Let's all polka. Uh one an' a two. Thank you for that lovely number. Wun'erful wun'erful.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 44

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doo, doo da doo, doo da doo, bomp bomp. Let's all polka. Uh one an' a two. Thank you for that lovely number. Wun'erful wun'erful.

A few hours before your post I watched an SNL rerun that included an impression of Lawrence Welk, yours was better. Maybe we should call Gortat the Polish Bubble (he pops under pressure).

Steve

HooverDam

Reaction score
Omg are people really believing Hunter>Gentry? If Gentry had security,ie a contract extension, he could've/would've played the younger guys and the season would've had an entirely different character. Babby/Blanks set Gentry up to fail so they could install "their guy."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A few hours before your post I watched an SNL rerun that included an impression of Lawrence Welk, yours was better. Maybe we should call Gortat the Polish Bubble (he pops under pressure).

Steve
'Sorry, Steve, I can't resist. "Turn off da bubble machine."

BTW, many decades ago, Stan Freberg, the musical satirist, did a splendid takeoff record about the show. I saw ten minutes of the Welk show once, but listened to Freberg's spoof over and over.

The guy who posted it to youtube did a good job adding video.

"Alice, don't polka on my accordian."

Wun'erful, wun'erful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TSDcPW2Kk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Omg are people really believing Hunter>Gentry? If Gentry had security,ie a contract extension, he could've/would've played the younger guys and the season would've had an entirely different character. Babby/Blanks set Gentry up to fail so they could install "their guy."
I'm wondering what you mean by the season having "an entirely different character" if Gentry could've/would've played the younger guys. More losses? More wins?

What would've been different? Would the team have had an entirely different character or, as you said, the season (won-lost record?)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not so sure. I'm not willing to pronounce Hunter better than Gentry but I'm confused by the way Gentry ran this team. If he needed security in order to play the young guys why did he give so many minutes to Beasley at the start of the season? Then, once it was clear that Beasley wasn't the savior, why did he play games with the guy's minutes. Yank him out early one game, have him sit out completely the next game, play him big minutes the next etc. I really can't think of a worse way to handle a guy like Michael and then throw in the fact he ignored the other young players and it's hard to support his decisions.

Maybe Gentry was trying to win games and still satisfy the front office but if so, he ended up failing on both counts. I don't think he was given a fair deal with this roster and with his contract situation but it appears to me he just decided to stick around and collect a paycheck. I'm still unconvinced by Hunter but all things considered, I'm glad we parted ways with Gentry.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Someone explain to me what kind of job security that Hunter has that Gentry didn't have?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Someone explain to me what kind of job security that Hunter has that Gentry didn't have?
Maybe it's not about job security, but reputation. Hunter's reputation has nothing to lose for the rest of this season. No matter what, it is a step up. For Gentry, it was a step back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not about job security, but reputation. Hunter's reputation has nothing to lose for the rest of this season. No matter what, it is a step up. For Gentry, it was a step back.

I started to agree with you and then it crossed my mind that this would really depend on Hunter's goals. I can't imagine taking over as head coach and losing games at a record setting pace would look all that great on your resume the next time you went looking for a coaching job. At least Hunter can always fill in the blanks with a couple of "yeah buts" to explain this performance. Especially given the out-of-nowhere trip to the Western Conference Finals that occurred under his guidance.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hunter is not saddled with any expectations. Its a totally different situation. He is in a no lose situation, no one will frown on loses at this point. While Gentry was in a no win situation, saddled with a bad, veteran laden team with playoff expectations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard