Suns meet Michael Beasley and Robin Lopez in LA

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at this game log for The 10-11 season. This guy can score and hes 23 yrs old. His rebounding doesnt look bad. He has similar numbers to stoudemire. Hes a perfect guy to get relatively cheap while he matures and the Suns rebuild. Hell be exciting, probably avg 20ppg, and the Suns will cruise to 25-30 wins (good enough for a top pick).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4388/gamelog;_ylt=Al_AugSAXarKH71P0vqCec_NPaB4?year=2010

He's not an exciting player. He is an ISO jump shooter, he doesnt attack the rim, go inside, pass... he will dribble and shoot, he is an extremely boring player. And his rebounding that season was 2 boards less than Amare at his worst, and Amare was a baaaad rebounder.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beasley is a tweener a la Antawn Jamison. He's listed at 6'10" somehow, but if you look back at his draft measurements he is 6'8" with shoes (6'7" without). If he is playing small forward, which is where I think the Suns envision playing him, then his rebounding numbers are pretty good. Hopefully Gentry relegates Morris to the paint where he belongs. I can justify the Beasley signing as long as it's a good deal that's relatively short or has a team option inserted somewhere.

Beasley's career is not yet etched in stone as some here say. I remember Zach Randolph being thought of as garbage/cancer and that his career was over after his stint with New York until Memphis took a chance on him. I know Randolph is more the exception than the rule, but Beasley is young enough and physically talented enough to right the ship.

I've been wanting to get rid of Grant Hill for a while now, not because I don't like him, but because I feel he is taking minutes away from our young guys. However, if we sign Beasley, Grant Hill's presence would be invaluable. Sans Nash, I doubt he sticks around, or that the Suns are even interested. I think Dudley will be counted upon as the locker room leader.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's not an exciting player. He is an ISO jump shooter, he doesnt attack the rim, go inside, pass... he will dribble and shoot, he is an extremely boring player. And his rebounding that season was 2 boards less than Amare at his worst, and Amare was a baaaad rebounder.

He attacks the rim like a SF does. He doesnt have a post game but he gets to the basket. And yes you can make the arguement he rebounds worse than stoudemire (which is sad), but STAT also played center for the Suns a lot so he was really expected to rebound, plus beasley has been playing with the greatest rebounder in Love.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He attacks the rim like a SF does. He doesnt have a post game but he gets to the basket. And yes you can make the arguement he rebounds worse than stoudemire (which is sad), but STAT also played center for the Suns a lot so he was really expected to rebound, plus beasley has been playing with the greatest rebounder in Love.

I wouldn't mind Beasley playing here. I think he could be Rashard Lewis sans the ridiculous contract. Keep in mind Beasley would be paid to do what he does best...score, so hopefully the contract reasonably coincides with what we want from him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He doesnt attack the rim. His FT-shot attempt ratio is horrible, especially for a big man. 1% of his attempts last year came on dunks... yes ONE PERCENT!!! The guy NEVER goes at the rim. And its not just making a case that he rebounds worse than Amare, he does rebound worse... MUCH worse.

Beasley is not a case like Zach Randolph who produced but had attitude problems. Beasley's struggles are NOT attitude, the guy is just plain BAD.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Beasley is a decent offensive player, but he does settle for jump shots too often. It's his defense or lack thereof that scares the hell out of me. I really want a couple of wings who are strong defensively.

I mean what do people think we are going to pay him? It makes me sick to think this, but I'll bet it looks something like Josh Childress's contract.

Joe

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Michael Beasley is a decent offensive player, but he does settle for jump shots too often. It's his defense or lack thereof that scares the hell out of me. I really want a couple of wings who are strong defensively.

I mean what do people think we are going to pay him? It makes me sick to think this, but I'll bet it looks something like Josh Childress's contract.

Joe

My fear too. Anything with multiple guaranteed years is bad, but the T'Wolves couldnt give him away @6 million with one year left. If we sign him to a multi-year contract for 6+ million per year it will immediately be one of the worst deals in the league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Joe

Come on. Beasley is a much better player than Childress.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pre-Greece Childress blew Beasley out of the water. He was a solid shooter with excellent percentages, he was serviceable rebounder at the 3 and a very capable defender.

Even on the scoring end, his points per shot blow Beasley away. Beasley is an inefficient jump shooter, who blows at everything else. His basketball IQ is non-existent. And anyone who thinks he is some freak athlete has never watched him play. He is, at best, an average NBA athlete.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was years ago, and I'd like to see those comparisons.

whatever difference Michael Beasley makes on the offense is going to be equal to the difference that Childress makes on the defensive end. Michael Beasley is a horrid defender.

We should have just played Jerrod Dudley and Childress at the 3 and saved the $6 million per season. But I'm sure they could have found another young 3 who hadn't lived up to his potential much cheaper after all the big signings were done.

Joe

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I guess he was good enough for the Lakers to try to get him in a S&T

Alex Kennedy: The Lakers expressed significant interest in Michael Beasley before the forward signed with the Suns. Lakers were hoping for sign-and-trade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess he was good enough for the Lakers to try to get him in a S&T

Alex Kennedy: The Lakers expressed significant interest in Michael Beasley before the forward signed with the Suns. Lakers were hoping for sign-and-trade.

During the last season they tried to get him in a regular trade... shipping off Derek Fisher as bait! So... yes, they were "interested" but when the extent of their interest was Derek Fisher's corpse then it does not cast a good light on Beasley's value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard