Suns meet Michael Beasley and Robin Lopez in LA

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
BTW,if Beasley can come in and help us suck....i'm all for it.

Pretty much agree. Since the expectations for 12-13 are about as low as they could get, signing Beasley to a reasonable contract to see what he can produce is worth it, IMO. He's only two years removed from averaging 19 ppg.

Beasley made $6mil last season. I hope he does not expect to make anything above that annually in his next contract.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think guys can get mechanics fixed to improve things like their shot or FT percentage. What I don't think you can do is fix bad defense or piss poor rebounding.

I can't think of one example where bad defense and bad rebounding has been fixed.

Exactly. These arnt skills that need improving, they are skills he does not have. Barring a lobotomy I dont see him changing fundamentally as a player.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Exactly. These arnt skills that need improving, they are skills he does not have. Barring a lobotomy I dont see him changing fundamentally as a player.

I think you have established that :D . His second year in the league he rebounded at about the same per minute rate as LeMarcus Aldridge and Amare currently do. He also has been on a team the last two years with one of the best rebounders of this generation and typically played small forward on the court with two others that were 6'11 or taller in Darko, Love, Randolph, and Pekovic (and Derrick Williams whose just 6'8).

He lead the nation in rebounding with 12.4 in college, a skill that generally transfers well to the NBA, but for whatever reason hasn't for him.

Look, I am not saying Beasley is sure to be the player people thought he could be. I am not even saying the chances are 50/50 or 25/75 that he turns out. But, if there is still even a chance that he can capture some of that potential at a reasonable cost I am all for it. We are a team going no where fast. Might as well roll the dice on talent once in awhile instead of collecting a team full or Childress', Lopez', Frye's etc. that leave nothing to the imagination.

They couldn't give him away for 6 million a year when he was still full of potential and only one marijuana arrest in, why are we so sure that he can command close to that now? I am just saying if we can get this guy in here for cheap and get him coached up and motivated on a low risk, high reward contract, I'm all for it.

MakeItNashty

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Links? Haven't seen a report of anyone.

• A source said Phoenix and Detroit are among those pursuing small forward Michael Beasley. Minnesota declined to extend the former No. 2 pick a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Also saw on ESPN that Dallas was going after Beasley.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well I'm getting pretty desperate to try anything that will get us someone with the potential to be more than average. Hope the Suns get some deals done, but really I'm just looking forward to football season so whatever team they've got when the NFL is over, I'll probably try to watch as much as I can. What can you do...

How about dealing with New Jersey or Houston? Someone with a flock of youngsters.

GO SUNS!

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The only plan that makes sense at this point is to tank so hard the next two seasons that we are a guaranteed lock for the #1 Pick when Jabari Parker is available (circa 2014 Draft). Maybe Beasley and Goran get us there.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only plan that makes sense at this point is to tank so hard the next two seasons that we are a guaranteed lock for the #1 Pick when Jabari Parker is available (circa 2014 Draft). Maybe Beasley and Goran get us there.

The team with the worst record only has a 25% chance of getting the top pick. So it's not surprising that the worst team record wise rarely gets the top pick.

Besides, Andrew Wiggins>Jabari Parker.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Andrew Wiggins is a better prospect than Parker and could possibly come out in 2014 as well.

Beat me, but I have 0 doubt Wiggins will be in the 2014 draft. Plus it's possible that Parker will go on his mission and not be available right away.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah at least it looks like the next couple drafts have more than 1 potential franchise player.

2013 SG Shabazz Muhammad, C Nerlens Noel, C Cody Zeller, C Isiah Austin, C Rudy Gobbert
2014 SF Andrew Wiggings, SF Jabari Parker, PF Julius Randle

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the over/under on next February the time in which everyone for Beasley begins to discuss which draft picks they are willing to package to get rid of Beasley's contract. Dude's gonna get at least 3 years, probably 4, and whatever he's paid will be worse than just giving US the money for beer.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Liking it.. At least Beasley will make things interesting one way or the other.

Who knows maybe he could explode as the #1 option.

He is definitely capable of being Monta Ellis on a bad team (scoring tons of points).

I'd prefer we tank by scoring 100ppg and awful defense rather than 70ppg like the Bobcats team that you can barely watch.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I put the over/under on next February the time in which everyone for Beasley begins to discuss which draft picks they are willing to package to get rid of Beasley's contract. Dude's gonna get at least 3 years, probably 4, and whatever he's paid will be worse than just giving US the money for beer.

I just don't understand. I know we need scoring, but if they sign him for a 4 year deal (max length for UFA) to significant money it goes against everything Babby has repeatedly been saying. Namely being smart and conservative with their money.

I truly believe we're fine financially though. Warrick is expiring. Childress can be amnestied. Gortat and Dudley are on great contracts. We can deal if Beasley comes here and doesn't work out if we keep it around the MLE. If his deal comes in around what his QO would have been ($8M) then we might be in trouble.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Frye and Childress are our worst contract indeed and one can be amnestied still.

Beasley for 4 years / 26M$ would be great value, same for Mayo. At some point you have to take a chance with free agents.

Yeah Beasley could be the next Villanueva, Mayo the next Ben Gordon and Eric Gordon the next Penny Hardaway.

I like to take a chance on Beasley and Mayo because they have a lot of talent and are not done developing as players. Signing them would not necessarily put us back into mediocrity right away. Beasley is 23, Mayo 24.

Say we signed Mayo and Beasley to flat 6M$ per season contracts and amnesty Childress, we should still have some 14M$ caproom? Next season without Warrick another 4M$ more. It's not like we will lose all flexibility by signing them.

Or maybe the Suns offer a big 1 year contract like they did with Grant Hill and Shannon Brown, who knows.

Also even if Beasley is a knucklehead. The Suns don't have any right now and building a team of only good guys usually does not work so easy.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah at least it looks like the next couple drafts have more than 1 potential franchise player.

2013 SG Shabazz Muhammad, C Nerlens Noel, C Cody Zeller, C Isiah Austin, C Rudy Gobbert
2014 SF Andrew Wiggings, SF Jabari Parker, PF Julius Randle

For me it's:

2013: Shabazz Muhammad, Steven Adams(assuming he comes out)
2014: Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker

With Wiggins and Parker likely being the best prospects since Oden and Durant.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beasley for 4 years / 26M$ would be great value, same for Mayo. At some point you have to take a chance with free agents.

Too much for too long. If the Suns do go after them I hope they are 3 year deals with team options on the last year.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Frye and Childress are our worst contract indeed and one can be amnestied still.

Yeah Beasley could be the next Villanueva, Mayo the next Ben Gordon and Eric Gordon the next Penny Hardaway.

I like to take a chance on Beasley and Mayo because they have a lot of talent and are not done developing as players. Signing them would not necessarily put us back into mediocrity right away. Beasley is 23, Mayo 24.

Say we signed Mayo and Beasley to flat 6M$ per season contracts and amnesty Childress, we should still have some 14M$ caproom? Next season without Warrick another 4M$ more. It's not like we will lose all flexibility by signing them.

Or maybe the Suns offer a big 1 year contract like they did with Grant Hill and Shannon Brown, who knows.

Also even if Beasley is a knucklehead. The Suns don't have any right now and building a team of only good guys usually does not work so easy.

I agree with just about everything you have stated and think we should go after both Beasley and Mayo as well.

Beasley was the 2nd pick and Mayo was the 3rd pick in 2008. They were picked that early becuase they had talent not becuase they cooked Thankgiving dinner for the family. For whatever reason they have not performed up to the expectations their teams had for them. They still have the talent, that has not gone away. The Suns need an influx of talent first and foremost. We undoutedly have the least talented rosters in the NBA. Talent wins games in this league.

I can only hope we are able to get these two guys. If they suck, so what. We are going to suck without them for sure. It is not like we are going to sign the 2nd coming by not giving them a contract. I say go for it.

If they really stink it up we move up the draft board next year. If they play well and prove everyone wrong we could have a start to the future.

Now if we can just land Kaman we will have had a phenominal off season, just kidding.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the market for Beasley is weak, why is everyone afraid that the Suns are going to give him a long deal? Something like $14M/2yr makes more sense for both sides, since Beasley could parlay it into something bigger if he gets his act together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the market for Beasley is weak, why is everyone afraid that the Suns are going to give him a long deal? Something like $14M/2yr makes more sense for both sides, since Beasley could parlay it into something bigger if he gets his act together.

Let's get a team option for a third year. :)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we pay Michael Beasley anything over 2 years@ $5 million I say it's a big mistake and just pray he turns things around. Frankly I don't even want him it at that much. Is it too much to ask to have strong defenders at the 2 & 3? If you tell me he's going to be exclusively a power forward I'm rolling my wheelchair into traffic.

I was really hoping this was all for show. Let the other teams sign these mediocre/below mediocre players to insane contracts.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayo/Beasely... two guys who were can't miss prospects... who have missed and did very little to distinguish themselves on any of the teams they played... oh, and both are tweeners. great. sounds like really good moves to me.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I'd be fine with both of these...if you miss, you don't miss big. Considering the kinds of numbers being thrown around now, they could both be bargains at that rate, although I doubt you'll get Mayo for less than 7 per.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns desperately need scorers and that is why the Suns are looking at Mayo and Beasley.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns desperately need scorers and that is why the Suns are looking at Mayo and Beasley.

I could deal with these 2 and Jordan Hill to back up Kieff. Markieff needs to be regulated to playing in the post, the coaching staff needs to not give him the green light to roam on the perimeter and throw up jump shots. This guy was brought in to defend the post and rebound not become Channing Frye lite.