Suns meet Michael Beasley and Robin Lopez in LA

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd prefer Arthur to Beasley, and Arthur will likely be had a lot cheaper since he is coming off an injury. Arthur is my sleeper of free agency. Everyone forgot about him blossoming two season ago just waiting to get out from behind Randolph's shadow. His per 36 minutes stats in 2010/12 were 16.3 ppg and 7.7 rpg. He also really stepped up when starting for Randolph when he missed time. Memphis has over $62 million committed in payroll next year and supposedly made an MLE offer to Ray Allen.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd prefer Arthur to Beasley, and Arthur will likely be had a lot cheaper since he is coming off an injury. Arthur is my sleeper of free agency. Everyone forgot about him blossoming two season ago just waiting to get out from behind Randolph's shadow. His per 36 minutes stats in 2010/12 were 16.3 ppg and 7.7 rpg. He also really stepped up when starting for Randolph when he missed time. Memphis has over $62 million committed in payroll next year and supposedly made an MLE offer to Ray Allen.

Arthur received QO from Memphis, if he's cheap they match.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put the over/under on next February the time in which everyone for Beasley begins to discuss which draft picks they are willing to package to get rid of Beasley's contract. Dude's gonna get at least 3 years, probably 4, and whatever he's paid will be worse than just giving US the money for beer.

Exactly. I dont care what the guy averaged in college, he has been a disaster as a pro. Any team that gives him a 3 or 4 year deal deserves the punishment it will entail. And to those that think "It would be more fun to suck and score a lot than to suck and not score" thats not what Beasley does. The TEAM will gain nothing from his offense, he might drop 20 per game but his offense comes at the expense of offensive flow. He is like Vince Carter but not even 1/4th as talented... and twice as lazy.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not if it makes them a luxury tax payer.

Memphis is about 10mil away from tax range if you take away Arthur's QO. Exactly how much were you thinking of offering? I think anything reasonable gets matched and they renounce Speights, anything absurd and they'll let him go and keep Speights.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memphis is about 10mil away from tax range if you take away Arthur's QO. Exactly how much were you thinking of offering? I think anything reasonable gets matched and they renounce Speights, anything absurd and they'll let him go and keep Speights.

Memphis is sitting at 62 million. They supposedly offered the full MLE to Ray Allen. If Ray Allen were to accept (I don't think it's likely), that puts them at the L tax limit. I don't think Memphis can function at or around the L tax for too long. They are definitely not going to surpass it.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Memphis is sitting at 62 million. They supposedly offered the full MLE to Ray Allen. If Ray Allen were to accept (I don't think it's likely), that puts them at the L tax limit. I don't think Memphis can function at or around the L tax for too long. They are definitely not going to surpass it.

That 62 includes 3mil Arthur QO and 4mil Speights QO so they really won't have any difficulty matching a reasonable offer for Arthur and staying out of tax range.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That 62 includes 3mil Arthur QO and 4mil Speights QO so they really won't have any difficulty matching a reasonable offer for Arthur and staying out of tax range.

No it doesn't. Go to Hoopshype of Shamsports and add them up. QO's are not included in the 62.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Go for Arthur. He must be better than Frye... Throw some money at Speights as well. We need a starter at the 4. Get rid of Frye and play Keef off the bench.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Markieff needs to be regulated to playing in the post, the coaching staff needs to not give him the green light to roam on the perimeter and throw up jump shots. This guy was brought in to defend the post and rebound not become Channing Frye lite.

Where do I sign?

+1!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I could deal with these 2 and Jordan Hill to back up Kieff. Markieff needs to be regulated to playing in the post, the coaching staff needs to not give him the green light to roam on the perimeter and throw up jump shots. This guy was brought in to defend the post and rebound not become Channing Frye lite.

It's a nice idea in theory, but Morris has neither the size nor athleticism to be effective in the post or to defend good big men.

That was made abundantly clear last year when he started, and was eaten alive.

Unfortunately, Morris is very limited athletically, and his ceiling is low. It's nice that they intended him to be a Haslem like post defender and rebounder, but he's much more Channing that Udonis.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
morris has okay, he's just challenged athletically, i'm sure he can add a lot more bulk/muscle to his frame as he is still a young guy. but his short arms and lack of vertical leaping hinders his post presence as well as finishing at/near the rim.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No it doesn't. Go to Hoopshype of Shamsports and add them up. QO's are not included in the 62.

I thought it did. I'd prefer Arthur over any available big, but I don't think it's possible.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Why are we trying to go after another pg when we already have 2? We have Marshall and Telfair.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and if we're letting only Marshall and Telfair run the show, what's the point in signing anyone else this year?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We also hold the rights to Brooks. So he too would be cheap. If we want 3 pg's, we have three cheap ones already. We're not going anywhere next year. It's more about getting ready for future seasons. Of course after next year we may very well be looking for backup pg....and it's always a possibility, a starting pg. I can obviously see why we'd get Nash back (highly improbable). I can see why we might want Dragic back. But other then them, I really don't get why we'd go after any other pg this season. Even then, from where we stand there are some compelling reasons to not want either PG's (Nash, Dragic) back.

When you also consider the pg possibilities in next year's draft, and where we might pick, overall I don't feel it's very wise to be focusing so much on the point guards.

We need people who can score and people who can rebound and defend. We're not going to get that from focusing on pg's.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Broussard stated that Beasley is in town for a second interview and would be surprised if he leaves PHX without a contract offer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will root for Gordon if we get him and hope for the best. But singing Beasley is indefensible. I will boo the life out of this idiotic move.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I will root for Gordon if we get him and hope for the best. But singing Beasley is indefensible. I will boo the life out of this idiotic move.

Not sure why, Beasley's knucklehead image seems to overstated. All his teammates in Minnesota loved him apparently and he seems to have matured.

The Suns apprently like his attitude.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure why, Beasley's knucklehead image seems to overstated. All his teammates in Minnesota loved him apparently and he seems to have matured.

The Suns apprently like his attitude.

I dont care about his knucklehead image. The guy is an awful basketball player. His one talent is scoring... and he is a woefully inefficient scorer, at all other aspects of the game he is somewhere between awful and horrendous.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

I'm sure that will be very effective and a worthwhile use of your time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure that will be very effective and a worthwhile use of your time.

Well, this is a Suns forum, I dont think expressing my feelings as a fan is something that should come as much surprise.

Unlike the suprise many fans will be in for as Beasley makes his debut... and drops 18 points on 20 ugly ISO shots and surrenders roughly 30-40 points on the other end through a combination of lazy/inept defense and rebounding.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Well, this is a Suns forum, I dont think expressing my feelings as a fan is something that should come as much surprise.

Unlike the suprise many fans will be in for as Beasley makes his debut... and drops 18 points on 20 ugly ISO shots and surrenders roughly 30-40 points on the other end through a combination of lazy/inept defense and rebounding.

I'm worried even more about him poisoning our locker room. Although, I understand his teammates liked him in Minnesota.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm worried even more about him poisoning our locker room. Although, I understand his teammates liked him in Minnesota.

Tim Thomas had a reputation when he arrived in Phoenix but he was a pleasant surprise during his short stay here. I don't know a lot about Beasley but what I read. However, at his young age he should be given a chance if the Suns like what they hear and see. Thinking about it, even Amare had some question marks when he fell in the draft to the Suns.