OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you say mega lawsuit if his car was part of the recall? Any family would be able to sue for future earning but for an actor? That's a TON of money. Freaking sad.

Parents sue over crash that killed 'Star Trek' actor Yelchin

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...hat-killed-star-trek-actor-yelchin/ar-BBv9YOb

The parents of "Star Trek" actor Anton Yelchin on Tuesday sued the makers of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, an SUV that was under recall when it crushed and killed the 27-year-old.

Victor and Irina Yelchin filed the wrongful-death and product-liability lawsuit against automaker Fiat Chrysler in Los Angeles Superior Court roughly six weeks after their son was killed. The suit contends that the gear selector in the actor's Jeep was defective and poorly designed and manufactured.

"Anton Yelchin was crushed and lingered alive for some time, trapped and suffocating until his death," the lawsuit says.

It does not say how much Yelchin's parents are seeking in damages.

The actor's Jeep rolled backward down the driveway of his Los Angeles home June 19, pinning him between a mailbox and a security fence. The SUV was among 1.1 million vehicles recalled in April because its gear shifters have confused drivers, causing the vehicles to roll away unexpectedly and leading to dozens of injuries.

The lawsuit says Yelchin's SUV did not engage or maintain its "park" gear and that led to the vehicle crushing the actor.

Yelchin is perhaps best known for his role as Pavel Chekov in the rebooted "Star Trek" franchise. The third film in the series, "Star Trek Beyond," has grossed more than $106 million in the U.S. in its first two weekends.

The actor was the Yelchins' only son, and they filed Friday to oversee his estate, which is valued at nearly $1.4 million. Anton Yelchin left behind several unreleased projects, including the Netflix animated series "Trollhunters" and four films.

Fiat Chrysler extended its sympathies to Yelchin's parents in a statement released before the suit was filed but added that the company had not been served with the case and could not comment on it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How much leverage does the family have here? Tragic, yes, but the vehicle was already being recalled after all.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tragedy aside, Im interested in figuring out exactly what happened with Anton.

1. The vehicle was on an incline.

2. Anton got out, walked behind his vehicle to get something, it then rolled back and pinned him against the gate.

My question is why didn't the vehicle start rolling the second he stepped out if the parking break wasn't engaged?

Why was the vehicle fine and stationary for the 15 seconds it took for him to get out and walk to the back of the vehicle??

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much leverage does the family have here? Tragic, yes, but the vehicle was already being recalled after all.

Why wouldn't they? People successfully win court cases or settle out of court in regards to recalls all the time. Unless they can prove he willfully ignored the recall they will settle big IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? People successfully win court cases or settle out of court in regards to recalls all the time. Unless they can prove he willfully ignored the recall they will settle big IMO.
they would also have to prove he was actually aware of the recall in the first place wouldn't they?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
they would also have to prove he was actually aware of the recall in the first place wouldn't they?

That would be hard. I remember a case where a company claimed they sent a recall notice but they ruled there was no way to prove it ever reached the customer.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. The recall of his vehicle was announced in April and notices were sent out mid-May, even though his family is claiming he didn't receive a notice until after his death. If it is like any other vehicle recall, he probably received a couple, so there is no way to know that the one they received was the first notice sent to him.

Many on vehicle message boards have said they were aware of the recall even before they received their notice and that there have been advisories out there telling drivers - of the affected vehicles - to use their parking brake for extra safety whenever parking on an incline.

Anton Yelchin Received Jeep Recall Notice 7 Days After His Death

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin-1201828785/

A recall notice for a Jeep Grand Cherokee was mailed to actor Anton Yelchin seven days after he was killed in a freak rollaway accident, his family’s attorney said Tuesday.

Yelchin’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday against the vehicle’s manufacturer, Fiat Chrysler, as well as ZF North America, which manufactured the gear shift. Fiat Chrysler recalled more than 800,000 vehicles in April, after receiving hundreds of rollaway complaints.

“The safety recall was way too little and way too late,” attorney Gary Dordick said at a press conference in Beverly Hills. “They should have never used this device.”

The shifter in 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees operates like a joystick, returning to the same position no matter what gear the vehicle is in. Some drivers have become confused and exited the vehicle while it is still in gear, leading it to roll away. Yelchin died on June 19 when he was pinned by his vehicle against an entrance post at his Studio City home. The LAPD and Fiat Chrysler are still investigating the death, but it appears that it could be the first fatality related to the rollaway issue.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree. The recall of his vehicle was announced in April and notices were sent out mid-May, even though his family is claiming he didn't receive a notice until after his death. If it is like any other vehicle recall, he probably received a couple, so there is no way to know that the one they received was the first notice sent to him.

Many on vehicle message boards have said they were aware of the recall even before they received their notice and that there have been advisories out there telling drivers - of the affected vehicles - to use their parking brake for extra safety whenever parking on an incline.

Anton Yelchin Received Jeep Recall Notice 7 Days After His Death

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin-1201828785/

A recall notice for a Jeep Grand Cherokee was mailed to actor Anton Yelchin seven days after he was killed in a freak rollaway accident, his family’s attorney said Tuesday.

Yelchin’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday against the vehicle’s manufacturer, Fiat Chrysler, as well as ZF North America, which manufactured the gear shift. Fiat Chrysler recalled more than 800,000 vehicles in April, after receiving hundreds of rollaway complaints.

“The safety recall was way too little and way too late,” attorney Gary Dordick said at a press conference in Beverly Hills. “They should have never used this device.”

The shifter in 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees operates like a joystick, returning to the same position no matter what gear the vehicle is in. Some drivers have become confused and exited the vehicle while it is still in gear, leading it to roll away. Yelchin died on June 19 when he was pinned by his vehicle against an entrance post at his Studio City home. The LAPD and Fiat Chrysler are still investigating the death, but it appears that it could be the first fatality related to the rollaway issue.

getting stories like this out to the public will help his families case.... even had he received earlier notices having incoming jurors believing he didn't get one until after his death helps the plaintiff..... everybody wants an excuse to screw supermegacorp if they get a chance

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting stories like this out to the public will help his families case.... even had he received earlier notices having incoming jurors believing he didn't get one until after his death helps the plaintiff..... everybody wants an excuse to screw supermegacorp if they get a chance

Mmm.. Seems like the root cause of the problem is with creating a faulty vehicle not the aftermath that follows.

At any rate, not everybody pays attention to recall stories in the news. I know the wife and I had a recall notice on our car about a year ago. That recall notice claimed it was the 3rd notification. We never received the previous two. Not only that, but we even had our car serviced at the dealership and they never mentioned it. When I called the dealership to tell them we didn't receive the previous 2 notices and ask why they didn't let us know when we had our vehicle serviced...... they claimed they didn't have the replacement parts for the recall in yet so we were not notifying customers except by mail to let them know approximately when the parts would be in. The icing on the cake was that our alleged 3rd notice just let us know there was a recall but none of the dealerships could fix it yet because parts were not available for a couple months. Well thanks...that is helpful.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw today. it was entertaining, but felt like a really big episode of Star Trek, not really worthy of a movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw today. it was entertaining, but felt like a really big episode of Star Trek, not really worthy of a movie.

I thought if felt like "classic" Trek but didn't get the big episode vibe. It's interesting though because many people I know who love Trek kept complaining how the new version felt more like action sci-fi in the Star Wars vein then Star Trek. They finally got what they wanted.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw this one this evening....had already been at the theater for a few hours so I was uncomfortable...which hinders a good experience,lol.

I liked the new female character....she might be a good choice to replace Chekov in future films....

I noticed they added in some classic Chekov in this one,....when he was explaining to the chick that scotch was actually invented in Russia,lol.... the previous episodes in this version had left that bit of personality out on that character.

it looked like they went out of their way to age the main characters a bit more than the three years would suggest....perhaps they don't have these guys locked up for very many more movies.

It was enjoyable,...but the villain was a bit weak for a guy who has an overwhelming force....I will buy the dvd when it comes out and I am sure I will see this one a half dozen more times over the next year....I may enjoy it more next time since it will not be the back end of a double feature after a 90 minute drive to the theater,lol

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad. I really have enjoyed this reboot and this last movie. Box office might derail any additional sequels. This might kill the film franchise and relegate it to TV only. Plus these made my son a fan of the franchise after being basically Star Wars only.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was probably the 2nd best summer blockbuster in an otherwise underwhelming season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad. I really have enjoyed this reboot and this last movie. Box office might derail any additional sequels. This might kill the film franchise and relegate it to TV only. Plus these made my son a fan of the franchise after being basically Star Wars only.

it might make enough worldwide to get a sequel, but not at a budget of 175 million bucks again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the 4th already has the green light?

This one suffered from timing; an odd release date.

Possibly already in pre-production but to Cheese's point it probably will be a smaller budget. I find it interesting because I read an article the other day about Star Trek and the writer was a big fan but said the biggest issues he has with Trek in general is they never make the movies feel epic in scale. He said all the movies typically have a "box" feel unlike Star Wars for example. He thinks if you want to excite the audience they need to feel more epic. Going to be hard if they nerf the budget.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are now claims that he may have modified or altered the vehicle - and/or that his parents made changes to its condition since his death - so the dealership is requesting to be removed from the lawsuit.

Chrysler dealership claims Anton Yelchin's death resulted from his own 'misuse, misapplication, or damage' of Jeep

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...ation-or-damage-of-jeep/ar-BBx4Pql?li=BBnbfcL

A California Chrysler dealership claims Anton Yelchin should be blamed for his own death after his Jeep rolled backward and crushed him between a metal gate and a brick pillar.

The Valencia, California, car agency fired back at the wrongful death lawsuit submitted by Yelchin’s parents with a court filing of its own, explaining why it should not be liable for Yelchin’s untimely passing, TMZ reports.

The dealership believes Yelchin’s death occurred because of his own “misuse, misapplication, or damage” in operating the vehicle that ultimately killed him, according to the court documents obtained by the celebrity gossip site.

Yelchin — who starred as Chekov in the new “Star Trek” films — died at 27 in June after his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled down his driveway after he momentarily stepped out and pinned him up to his home’s security gate and the pillar.

The Jeep model the actor owned had been recalled by Chrysler months earlier because of an issue with its parking function. Yelchin’s parents filed the wrongful death suit against Fiat Chrysler in August, claiming their son believed the vehicle was in park when he stepped outside of it.

Those at the dealership, however, don’t think Yelchin’s parents kept the vehicle in the exact same condition it was in at the time of the crash, potentially compromising evidence, according to TMZ.

And while it wasn’t explicitly stated in the filing, the dealership reportedly seemed to suggest Yelchin made adaptations to the Jeep after purchasing it.

Because of this, the dealership requested they be removed from the wrongful death lawsuit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like desperation on behalf of the dealership to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard