Star Trek Into Darkness (aka Star Trek XII)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek Into Darkness (aka Star Trek XII)

Source: ComingSoon.net

Tomorrow, September 8th, marks the 46th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but ComingSoon.net is celebrating a little early with a juicy rumor to share. We've been been told that the 2013 J.J. Abrams sequel has chosen a title and will hit theaters as Star Trek Into Darkness.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since they've shot down the rumor about Khan, does anyone have a good guess as to what villain they'll be recycling from the original timeline? Actually, since the timeline has been altered, I guess they could pull him from TNG, Voyager or DS9 for that matter.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liked the 2009 film alot...but this film should have been gift wrapped and premiered 10-12 months ago.

They waited too long IMO. These are the types of films you've got to get moving on....bam bam bam. They should be in pre-production on the 3rd re-boot by now.

Not crazy about the title either,but if its a good,quality Trek movie i could care less about the title. The characters(actors) are solid. How about writing a better story this time?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, since they've shot down the rumor about Khan, does anyone have a good guess as to what villain they'll be recycling from the original timeline? Actually, since the timeline has been altered, I guess they could pull him from TNG, Voyager or DS9 for that matter.

Steve
Why would they do that? They felt it was so important to wipe out the original timeline....:rolleyes: Some have suggested that was a brilliant strategy. It wasn't.

It was completely unnecessary. The original series was a 5 year mission and yet the tv show itself only lasted 2.5 years :lol: The old school films after the tv series were about these characters in the twilight of their careers.
They could have written anything they wanted,without writing in a Spock prime,a black hole alternate future/history blah blah.. and all that garbage. There was no need to do that.

Just write a quality sci-fi screenplay this time....please. The new young cast was excellent.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

At least, that's one of the rumors.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't think you can go wrong with is Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would they do that? They felt it was so important to wipe out the original timeline....:rolleyes: Some have suggested that was a brilliant strategy. It wasn't.

It was completely unnecessary. The original series was a 5 year mission and yet the tv show itself only lasted 2.5 years :lol: The old school films after the tv series were about these characters in the twilight of their careers.
They could have written anything they wanted,without writing in a Spock prime,a black hole alternate future/history blah blah.. and all that garbage. There was no need to do that.

Just write a quality sci-fi screenplay this time....please. The new young cast was excellent.

I disagree. It allowed them to start with a fresh slate. Keep in mind, to the Star Trek faithful, there's a lot more than just the TV shows and movies to consider. It's a lot of work to stay true to the probably thousand plus books that are also considered to be canon. It also opens the door to begin the franchise again with a younger cast. As for why they'd recycle a villian, I'm not sure but I do know this information had been leaked some time ago.

Steve

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gorn from "Arena"...one of my favorite original episodes!

I could deal with that.

There's a direct reference to this episode in Galaxy Quest.....

Guy Fleegman: " I know! You construct a weapon. Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe? "

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing Gorn will piss off legion of fans, because they will undoubtedly update it. That's messing with an iconic piece of imagery.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I knew how to Photoshop..... I'd paste Viggy Mortensen's head on the Gorn's body..

Think about it.....

:D

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing Gorn will piss off legion of fans, because they will undoubtedly update it. That's messing with an iconic piece of imagery.

They already massively changed the look of the Romulans and Klingons (though they were cut from the movie), so why stop now?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looked very, very cool. Star Trek 2 cool.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That came off as the absolute least "Star Trek-ish" thing I've seen with the Star Trek name on it.

Ever.

gotta agree here. I was underwhelmed by it and this is coming from someone who was at first skeptical about the reboot, but REALLY enjoyed the first film as top-notch blockbuster popcorn entertainment.