OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My view is, if the demographic of the character is important--the sex, the size, the race, etc--then that shouldn't be broken. I can understand that fans of Jack Reacher were mad because the character is based on massive size, though I didn't care because I didn't read the books. Peter Dinklage could never play Andre the Giant in a biopic. Casting Clancy Brown as Frederick Douglass would be unacceptable, as would casting Denzel Washington as George Washington. Will Smith couldn't play Tank Girl. And so on, and so forth.

Peter Dinklage is to Andre the Giant as Tom Cruise is to Jack Reacher. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, THAT is certainly not true and as big an exaggeration as Dinklage to Andre. :)

Ok. Closer to the truth would be:

Peter Dinklage is to Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise is to Jack Reacher.

Tom Cruise is 14 inches taller and 80 pounds heavier than Dinklage.

Tom Cruise is 10 inches shorter and weighs 80 pounds less than Jack Reacher.

Only 4 inches away from being the same difference. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, of course. Some people say size, race, sex, etc, never matter, which is ridiculous. The comparison is for them.

I don't think I have ever heard someone say it never matters.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently tracking at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with 33 reviews in. I can't wait to see this.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anton Yelchin's 'Star Trek' Role Won't Be Recast in Future Films

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...ole-wont-be-recast-in-future-films/ar-BBuwbu2

In an interview with Postmedia Network, "Star Trek Beyond" producer J.J. Abrams revealed that the role of Chekov will not be recast in light of actor Anton Yelchin's recent passing, with Abrams saying that doing so would be a disservice to the young man's memory.

"I would say there's no replacing him," Abrams told Postmedia Network. "There's no recasting. I can't possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better."

It's unclear at this point how filmmakers plan to follow up on that pledge, though Abrams told the outlet that filmmakers are currently considering several options, including killing off the character.

"Star Trek Beyond" will be dedicated to Yelchin's memory. It's due in theaters on July 22.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Anton Yelchin's 'Star Trek' Role Won't Be Recast in Future Films

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...ole-wont-be-recast-in-future-films/ar-BBuwbu2

In an interview with Postmedia Network, "Star Trek Beyond" producer J.J. Abrams revealed that the role of Chekov will not be recast in light of actor Anton Yelchin's recent passing, with Abrams saying that doing so would be a disservice to the young man's memory.

"I would say there's no replacing him," Abrams told Postmedia Network. "There's no recasting. I can't possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better."

It's unclear at this point how filmmakers plan to follow up on that pledge, though Abrams told the outlet that filmmakers are currently considering several options, including killing off the character.

"Star Trek Beyond" will be dedicated to Yelchin's memory. It's due in theaters on July 22.

Bravo sirs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to diminish his passing in any way but I don't really care whether they replace his character, transfer him elsewhere or simply kill him off. I liked the actor much more than the original Pavel Chekov and I preferred the way he played the character but even still, it's one of the less critical roles in the Star Trek world. I suspect they'd take a different approach to "honor his memory" if they found themselves without a Spock.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not to diminish his passing in any way but I don't really care whether they replace his character, transfer him elsewhere or simply kill him off. I liked the actor much more than the original Pavel Chekov and I preferred the way he played the character but even still, it's one of the less critical roles in the Star Trek world. I suspect they'd take a different approach to "honor his memory" if they found themselves without a Spock.
I agree....I did however really enjoy the youthful enthusiasm Yeltin brought to the character.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Saw it tonight with some friends. It wasn't bad. Good pulpy fun, overall. DEFINITELY had a 'Fast and the Furious in space' feel to it. What kept it from being more enjoyable was the horrific camera work. I almost got motion sickness from the 2D, and I never get motion sickness. I can't even imagine how awful it would be in 3D.

But, like I said, it was good. Not great, but a solid few hours of popcorn fun at the movies.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Saw it tonight with some friends. It wasn't bad. Good pulpy fun, overall. DEFINITELY had a 'Fast and the Furious in space' feel to it. What kept it from being more enjoyable was the horrific camera work. I almost got motion sickness from the 2D, and I never get motion sickness. I can't even imagine how awful it would be in 3D.

But, like I said, it was good. Not great, but a solid few hours of popcorn fun at the movies.

I will let you know what the 3D is like as soon as I catch it

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek Beyond

Release date: July 22, 2016 (2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Justin Lin
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence)
Screenwriters: Simon Pegg, Doug Jung
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Starring: Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine, John Cho, Zachary Quinto, Sofia Boutella, Idris Elba, Joe Taslim

Plot Summary: "Star Trek Beyond," the highly-anticipated next installment in the globally popular Star Trek franchise, created by Gene Roddenberry and reintroduced by J.J. Abrams in 2009, returns with director Justin Lin ("The Fast and the Furious" franchise) at the helm of this epic voyage of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her intrepid crew. In "Beyond," the Enterprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them and everything the Federation stands for to the test.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably going to see this tomorrow in 3D. My uncle who is s big Trek fan says he loved this film.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked it, definitely better than the second movie.

I had two real problems with it--the abrupt ending made the movie feel short and the camera kept spinning all the time. Didn't like that at all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The crazy cam didn't bother me, but it did bother my girlfriend. Otherwsie, 100% agree.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it, definitely better than the second movie.

I had two real problems with it--the abrupt ending made the movie feel short and the camera kept spinning all the time. Didn't like that at all.

I had one major problem with the major plot hole.
How the the former captain of the ship that crashed not now it was there and to check in it, even with the cloaking devices on it?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Pretty much exactly how I felt about this one.

The motorcycle had me cracking up its like the FATF director just couldn't help himself: I'll direct, but I'm putting a motorcycle In this movie!!!!

SPOILER!!!!!
The ending was classic. (Jack black voice)

"And we shall defeat them, with our ROCK!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The crazy cam didn't bother me, but it did bother my girlfriend. Otherwsie, 100% agree.
The camera spinning didn't bother me either. I'd much rather prefer the slower camera spins rather than the shaky cam during fight scenes when it comes to the big screen. The slower spins like that can really suck you into the scene.

I haven't seen 5min combined of the F&F movies and was hesitant when seeing the motor cycle trailer. The pace of the movie is pretty dang good overall. There aren't really any parts where it slows to a crawl. I walked out of the theater and into another showing two theaters down and watched it again. The second time it felt like the movie was 30min.

Yup, better than Darkness

Overall, definitely an awesome big screen movie to end the summer.

But alas...
I like Beastie Boys as much as anyone although Sabatoge is not even one of my top 10 from them, but enough with song already. That whole scene surfing the wave was a bit silly for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie was great! My son and I loved it. I have to be honest I was a bit surprised because I thought this movie looked boring from the trailers. Definitely felt old school in so many ways. The spinning cam didn't bother me a bit.

You know what bothered me more? The same mistake so many directors make in action films. Many of the hand to hand sequences were shot way to close to the actors. It was hard to see in a few scenes what was going on.

A couple touching tribute scenes. Action, comedy and it felt very much in the vein of classic Trek.

If you are a Trek fan I can't recommend this enough. If you simply like sci-fi this is a good movie.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard