Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek 3 (aka ST XIII)

Roberto Orci No Longer Directing ‘Star Trek 3′

http://www.slashfilm.com/orci-off-star-trek-3/

Roberto Orci is no longer directing Star Trek 3. The film was set to be the first directorial gig for the writer who worked (with Alex Kurtzman) on the first two revamped Trek films directed by J.J. Abrams. Orci and Kurtzman split as creative partners earlier this year, and the Trek 3 job was Orci’s bold step forward. Now Skydance and Paramount are making deals for a new director.

Deadline reports, saying that Orci will stay on as a producer.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek 3 (aka ST XIII)

Roberto Orci No Longer Directing ‘Star Trek 3′

http://www.slashfilm.com/orci-off-star-trek-3/

Roberto Orci is no longer directing Star Trek 3. The film was set to be the first directorial gig for the writer who worked (with Alex Kurtzman) on the first two revamped Trek films directed by J.J. Abrams. Orci and Kurtzman split as creative partners earlier this year, and the Trek 3 job was Orci’s bold step forward. Now Skydance and Paramount are making deals for a new director.

Deadline reports, saying that Orci will stay on as a producer.

Any planned release date?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Sounds like they didn't like Orci's script.....but Edgar Wright?!?! What the hell? This is the same guy who has Transformers 2 and Amazing Spiderman 2 as writing credits correct?

Really? This is the best they could do? I would rather see them wait on a really good director or story if it's going to be Transformers 2 "good".

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Sounds like they didn't like Orci's script.....but Edgar Wright?!?! What the hell? This is the same guy who has Transformers 2 and Amazing Spiderman 2 as writing credits correct?

Really? This is the best they could do? I would rather see them wait on a really good director or story if it's going to be Transformers 2 "good".

Edgar Right is the guy who wrote and directed Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End and Scott Pilgrim. Orci was the one who was involved in Spidey/Transformers 2 debacles.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar Right is the guy who wrote and directed Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End and Scott Pilgrim. Orci was the one who was involved in Spidey/Transformers 2 debacles.

OK. Thanks for that correction. I was confusing him with some of Orci's stuff. My memory is going in my old age. I was looking at a list of all their credits and confused the two. Having said that I am not sure the guy who did Shawn of The Dead (which I loved) and Scott Pilgrim (which I did as well) is the right choice.

There has to be someone better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for that correction. I was confusing him with some of Orci's stuff. My memory is going in my old age. I was looking at a list of all their credits and confused the two. Having said that I am not sure the guy who did Shawn of The Dead (which I loved) and Scott Pilgrim (which I did as well) is the right choice.

There has to be someone better.

Edgar Wright is one of the hottest director's being sought out today.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar Wright is one of the hottest director's being sought out today.

I am not disputing that. I simply don't think he is a good fit IMO. It's rather ironic that the property I think he was most suited for (Ant-man) he is no longer with because his vision was not well received.

Honestly, I think using him is a gamble. Especially for a franchise that needs to keep up any momentum gained by the last two films. I hope I am wrong just not excited about this choice one bit.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek 3’s New Director Will Be ‘Fast & Furious 6′ Helmer Justin Lin

http://deadline.com/2014/12/star-trek-3-justin-lin-director-fast-furious-helmer-1201333753/

Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot just set Justin Lin to direct Star Trek 3, filling the biggest open directing assignment out there with the filmmaker credited with reviving the Fast & Furious series. Lin helmed four of the films that grossed $1.9 billion in worldwide box office.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Lin is probably not at the top of most fanboys' lists, but I think he is a capable director who took a 'meh' franchise and turned it into a juggernaut.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the drag race in outer space. It will probably be a two way race between the Enterprise and the Excelsior. The Botany Bay may get some bonus points for drifting though.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simon Pegg will reportedly co-write Star Trek 3

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7869753/simon-pegg-will-co-write-star-trek-3-movie

Deadline reports that Simon Pegg is set to write the next movie in the recently rebooted Star Trek franchise. Pegg, who will return to play the role of engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott he occupied in both Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness, is co-writing the script for the yet-to-be-named Star Trek 3 with Doug Jung, the creator of TNT cop drama Deep Blue. Production company Paramount, which replaced the project's original director Roberto Orci with Fast & Furious director Justin Lin last year, is reportedly aiming to release the movie in time for Star Trek's 50th anniversary in 2016.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simon Pegg will reportedly co-write Star Trek 3

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7869753/simon-pegg-will-co-write-star-trek-3-movie

Deadline reports that Simon Pegg is set to write the next movie in the recently rebooted Star Trek franchise. Pegg, who will return to play the role of engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott he occupied in both Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness, is co-writing the script for the yet-to-be-named Star Trek 3 with Doug Jung, the creator of TNT cop drama Deep Blue. Production company Paramount, which replaced the project's original director Roberto Orci with Fast & Furious director Justin Lin last year, is reportedly aiming to release the movie in time for Star Trek's 50th anniversary in 2016.

It's not a total re-write from what I understand. They are going to touch up the script. So I am not sure how much of Pegg you are actually going to get in the script.

Also, his writing is not EXACTLY in the realm of space science fiction and to be honest I thought his last film (The Worlds' End) was boring. Having said that he is experienced and it would be interesting to see what he can do with the Trek franchise writing wise. He is a very talented guy.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The characters of Star Trek 3, from lots of new women to a “Bryan Cranston” villain

http://www.filmdivider.com/8704/the...ots-of-new-women-to-a-bryan-cranston-villain/

At the moment, the plan is to introduce at least three major new female characters. One of these will be the captain of another Federation ship, the second will be the President of the United Federation of Planets, and the third… the third, we’ll get to in a moment.

The addition of a female Captain is loaded with potential, including lots of scope for fun. She’s being set up as Kirk’s match, which should open up some much-needed new dynamics.

The UFP has never had a female President on screen before. The production will want a heavy-hitting character actress to ensure the role really lands, and hard.

For established fans, maybe the third new character will be the most interesting. We’ve learned that the production are looking to cast Bones’ ex-wife. Now, it’s unclear whether that character is Pamela Branch or Jocelyn Treadaway, or a new character just for the big-screen rebooted universe, but the simple fact she exists at all suggests a shift away from the first two films’ myopic focus on Kirk and Spock. It will be great to see Bones get some time in the spotlight.

Plus, with Spock and Uhura a settled relationship and Kirk matching wits with the female Captain, there’s bound to be a lot of fun to be had in seeing Starfleet’s grumpiest Doctor with his ex.

The major new role for a male actor will be the villain. As we understand it, he’s supposed to be Bryan Cranston-like, to the point that Cranston himself has had words with the studio about taking the role. We don’t know just yet if he said yes, or if this is an all-new character or somebody from continuity, but because they’re shooting for Cranston we at least know the filmmakers want to bring the intensity.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
The major new role for a male actor will be the villain. As we understand it, he’s supposed to be Bryan Cranston-like, to the point that Cranston himself has had words with the studio about taking the role. We don’t know just yet if he said yes, or if this is an all-new character or somebody from continuity, but because they’re shooting for Cranston we at least know the filmmakers want to bring the intensity.

Breaking Bad in Space!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idris Elba Eyed for Villain Role in ‘Star Trek 3′

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-trek-3-idris-elba-villain-cast-1201459368/

Idris Elba is in early talks to play the villain in “Star Trek 3,” sources tell Variety.

Justin Lin is directing the pic, with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all on board to return.

J.J. Abrams will produce along with his producing partner Bryan Burke and Skydance’s David Ellison. Production is set to start in June.

Details of Elba’s role are being kept under wraps. Early rumors suggest that Klingons would be the main villains in this movie, as they have not had a full presence in previous installments, but sources would not confirm if that was the case. Paramount and Skydance had no comment.

Pegg and Doug Jung are writing the script.

Elba stars in Cary Fukunaga’s “Beasts of No Nation,” which Netflix recently acquired for distribution, and is already garnering awards buzz for the actor.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More sci-fi exploration and the unknown antagonist for these already established characters to face, please.

Less character-driven drama and re-hashed villains with quick cutting James Bond in space action in between please.

This reboot is in danger of becoming just another modern, generic action-fest cash grab. It would be a shame too because these characters(from the OS) were successfully brought back to life by some outstanding casting...but IMO the writing is slowly but surely going away from everything that was brilliant and wondrous about Star Trek.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruh roh...

Simon Pegg says he was hired to make Star Trek 3 less 'Star Trek-y'

http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-19/simon-pegg-says-he-was-hired-make-star-trek-3-less-star-trek-y

Many fans wanted something different for the next Star Trek sequel in the wake of Into Darkness, but you better be careful what you wish for.

Simon Pegg has never been one to shy away from an open microphone, and in a new interview with the Irish Examiner he dropped some extremely interesting intel on the new Star Trek sequel he’s co-writing. Basically: Pegg says the original script was “too Star Trek-y,” so he was brought in to give it another pass to make it more accessible as a tentpole film. Hmm.

Check out the excerpt from his comments below:

"They had a script for Star Trek that wasn’t really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y. Avengers Assemble, which is a pretty nerdy, comic-book, supposedly niche thing, made 1.5 billion dollars. Star Trek Into Darkness made half a billion, which is still brilliant.

But it means that, according to the studio, there’s still one billion dollars worth of box office that don’t go and see Star Trek. And they want to know why. People don’t see it being a fun, brightly colored, Saturday night entertainment like the Avengers. [The solution is to] make a Western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it’s more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruh roh...

http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-19/simon-pegg-says-he-was-hired-make-star-trek-3-less-star-trek-y

Many fans wanted something different for the next Star Trek sequel in the wake of Into Darkness, but you better be careful what you wish for.

Simon Pegg has never been one to shy away from an open microphone, and in a new interview with the Irish Examiner he dropped some extremely interesting intel on the new Star Trek sequel he’s co-writing. Basically: Pegg says the original script was “too Star Trek-y,” so he was brought in to give it another pass to make it more accessible as a tentpole film. Hmm.

"They had a script for Star Trek that wasn’t really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y. Avengers Assemble, which is a pretty nerdy, comic-book, supposedly niche thing, made 1.5 billion dollars. Star Trek Into Darkness made half a billion, which is still brilliant.

But it means that, according to the studio, there’s still one billion dollars worth of box office that don’t go and see Star Trek. And they want to know why. People don’t see it being a fun, brightly colored, Saturday night entertainment like the Avengers. [The solution is to] make a Western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it’s more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent."

Ugh..... I have been a huge supporter of these new films. I have been a huge fan of Trek since I was a kid. Love what they have been doing but this sounds more overt direction. It sounds like they want to take what they did in the first two and go to more of an extreme.

Not sure I am on board with this or why call it Star Trek? I guess we should all wait until the film comes out but this doesn't sound good.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Ruh roh...

Hmm

Heist Plot line- Kirk and company come up with a brilliant scheme to steal currency from the Bank of Romulus

Western Plot line- Kirk and company ride starfleet's newest personal space vehicles, H.O.R.S.E.S. (Humanoid Oriented Research Supply and Exploration Ship) to round up space cattle that have gone missing. Only to find that the evil Klingon ranchers have been stealing their space cattle.

Thriller Plot line- Kirk's green skinned girlfriend is abducted by master criminals operating out of a secret base in an asteroid belt. Kirk won't pay the ransom, but he will pay the kidnappers a visit...

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm

Heist Plot line- Kirk and company come up with a brilliant scheme to steal currency from the Bank of Romulus

Western Plot line- Kirk and company ride starfleet's newest personal space vehicles, H.O.R.S.E.S. (Humanoid Oriented Research Supply and Exploration Ship) to round up space cattle that have gone missing. Only to find that the evil Klingon ranchers have been stealing their space cattle.

Thriller Plot line- Kirk's green skinned girlfriend is abducted by master criminals operating out of a secret base in an asteroid belt. Kirk won't pay the ransom, but he will pay the kidnappers a visit...

Ha ha!

They don't have to follow suit with avengers or even try to make 1.5 billion. It will never get to that as it is what it is. If they try to make this movie similar to avengers or any other comic book movie, I doubt they would make close to the $500 mill the made. Just be happy that it made that much, why try to push it and possibly ruin a good thing?