St. Patty's Day Cardinals FA and Draft Wishlist

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
According to Kent Somers, the Fitz deal has not yet been approved by the NFL, and thus the Cards can't sign LB Brandon Chillar until the deal is approved. Somers indicates that Chillar has offers from other teams, but he wants to ink a deal with the Cardinals, and has been waiting to do so.

What intrigues me about this scenario is how the Cards feel Chillar fits in. Is he insurance in the case that Chike Okeafor doesn't hold up? Chillar will obviously want starter's money, but right now he wouldn't start on this team.

Plus...when you take a look at my St. Patty's Day mock...when I look into my shamrock studded crystal ball, I have the Cardinals pouncing on one of the bettter OLB/DE porspects in this draft, which would make signing Chillar moot...although, if the Cards think Chillar could play WILB beyond 2008, if they cannot re-sign Karlos Dansby to an extension, then signing him would make more sense. But, having watched Chillar closely on tape, he does not strike me as particularly gifted inside LB...but rather a fairly athletic player to have on the perimeter.

Once the Fitz deal clears, and Somers says that there's every reason to believe it will, there are still some free agents out there that I find intriguing, and adding a few of them could allow the Cards to draft the best players available.

Free agents I'm intigued with:

1. RB Musa Smith (Baltimore). 26 years old...(6-0, 232, 5, Georgia)...has size and an impressive burst, but has been set back by injuries...if he could be inked to an incentive laden contract, he could be a gem.

2. WR Robert Ferguson (Vikings). 28 years old...(6-1, 210, 7, Texas A&M). He too has been hampered by injuries, but the talent is there, and he could be the perfect replacement for BJ.

3. DE (3-4 DE) Josh Thomas (Colts)...(6-5, 271, 4, Syracuse). This kid is versatile and he has pass rushing skills, inside and out. Would allow the Cardinals comfortable depth behind Dockett and Smith.

4. CB Andre Dyson (Jets)...29 years old...(5-10, 183, 7, Utah)...a player who also has been hampered by injuries, which is why the Cards could get him, like the others, on an incentive laden deal at an area of real need.

5. QB Brian St. Pierre (Steelers)...28 years old...(6-3, 230, 5, Boston College). Knows the sytem like the back of his hand...and has pocket presence. Perfect fit.

The Draft:

1. (#16) CB Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St....(6-2, 184, 4.3, 4.1, 17 reps). A big, athletic corner, who can flat-out break on the ball. His lack of experience at a high level of college competition wil cause him to fall to #16...at which point the Cardinals will and should pounce on him. Will have the luxury of playing the nickel in his first year and will provide the Cards with insurance in case they cannot re-sign RCB Eric Green beyond this year.

2. (#50) DE/OLB Cliff Avril, Purdue...(6-3, 253, 4.5, 4.5, 27 reps). While taking Quentin Groves or Derrick Harvey at #16 was extremely tempting, the Cards land an equally impactful edge player in Avril. With Berry and Okeafor's tenure coming quickly to an end, adding Avril here, in addition to signing UFA Travis LaBoy, is smart.

3. (#81) G/T Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh...(6-4, 311, 5.3, 4.7, 30 reps)...The Cards would like to wait until round 4 to take McGlynn, but cannot risk it, because they like him for their system as much an any offensive linemen in this draft.

4. (#115 app.) RB Allen Patrick, Oklahoma...(6-0, 190, 4.4, 4.3, 18). This kid played very well the last two years under extreme duress and has the combination of speed and suddneness Whiz wants.

5. (#152 app.) WR Will Franklin, Missouri...(6-1, 214, 4.3)...gifted WR who is flying under the radar. He's the speed threat this offense needs.

6. (#190 app.) DT Lionel Dotson, Arizona...(6-4, 296, 4.7)...after signing Josh Thomas for depth, the Cardinas land a promising young interior player here.

7. (#238 app.) LB Bryan Kehl, BYU...(6-2, 242, 4.6)...playmaking inside linebacker who could excel on special teams while backing up on the inside.

Shamrocks for all!

Go Cards!

Last edited:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I will say, I like the idea of Franklin in the 5th. Not sure what to think of DRC yet, lots of draft guys like him, lots of fans don't. I guess I'll have to trust the Card's scouts (hmmm, not a great CB history post AW) and if they feel he can step in and start take him, if they don't think he can then don't. I'd still like to sign Ty Law as nickle back, what he can teach the young guys, Green and draftee, alone would be valuable.

Can McGlynn play OT? We really need to get a LT of the future, that can start next year (09).

You seem to be targeting alot of injury prone guys. Not sure I like that idea as we have a big enough problem with injuries ourselves. Would rather have healthy, yet average talent depth.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where were you when all the excitement hit last week? What's your take on the Fitz deal getting done?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think signing Chillar will give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. It takes the pressure off to draft a front 7 defensive player out of need in the first two rounds. That way, we can draft CB and/or RB, which is where the strength of this draft is anyhow. So, I personally doubt we'd take a player like Avril that early if Chillar is signed.

It wouldn't shock me to see us use only one pick on offense.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whis said on the Cardinal Podcast that Chillar would "provide competition on the outside and the inside.". He'd likely compete with Okeafor and Monty Beisel.

Glynn would be a terrible tackle prospect. He's a pure power-blocking guard, which isn't what we're looking for. We already have a developed prospect there in Deuce Lutui.

We're looking for a breakaway back in the draft, and that's the opposite of what Patrick is.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think signing Chillar will give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. It takes the pressure off to draft a front 7 defensive player out of need in the first two rounds.
:thumbup:

That way, we can draft CB and/or RB, which is where the strength of this draft is anyhow. So, I personally doubt we'd take a player like Avril that early if Chillar is signed.
:thumbup:

It would shock me. I am expecting to see a RB and atleast one OL. I wouldn't be surprised to see us grab a WR or a QB either. I guess it all depends on how much the team likes guys like Rattay, Rector and Cornelius.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Mitch-- your stuff is always good

but give up the love affair for Brian St. Pierre

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think signing Chillar will give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. It takes the pressure off to draft a front 7 defensive player out of need in the first two rounds. That way, we can draft CB and/or RB, which is where the strength of this draft is anyhow. So, I personally doubt we'd take a player like Avril that early if Chillar is signed.

See, I didn't really want Chillar, and wasn't too high on Laboy, but if we can sign Chillar cheap, then I'd be more confident in the position and would not feel we HAD to draft a pass-rushing OLB high. Kind of the 'throw-spaghetti-against-the-wall' theory.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are FA's that interest me:

DE Darrion Scott
OLB/DE Kalimba Edwards
OLB Clark Haggans
OLB Kendrell Bell
CB Andre Dyson
CB Fernando Bryant
RB Kevin Jones

If we could sign Scott, Bell, & Bryant

We could draft:

1. CB Mike Jenkins
2. RB Chris Johnson
3. OT Sam Baker
4. WR Eddie Royal
5. P Durant Broks
6. QB Alex Brink
7. DE Kendall Langford

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RB Musa Smith. Like him and I like very few free agents. I liked RB Chris Brown too but he was snapped up by Houston fast.

Both were still young, underused and better backups than we have now and could be had for reasonable monies, I think.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RB Musa Smith. Like him and I like very few free agents. I liked RB Chris Brown too but he was snapped up by Houston fast.

Both were still young, underused and better backups than we have now and could be had for reasonable monies, I think.
Smith was great, when healthy. The problem was he got hurt everytime he was given the load. If he can be had on an incentive-laden contract I would love to see him in Arizona.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
number 3 on teh FA list sounds good, that college he went to just makes him an all-star automatically.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
3. DE (3-4 DE) Josh Thomas (Colts)...(6-5, 271, 4, Syracuse). This kid is versatile and he has pass rushing skills, inside and out. Would allow the Cardinals comfortable depth behind Dockett and Smith.

Good call.

I am on that wagon

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I like the list of free agents a lot minus the love affair for Pierre.

I also like the thought process behind the picks just not most of the players.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3. (#81) G/T Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh...(6-4, 311, 5.3, 4.7, 30 reps)...The Cards would like to wait until round 4 to take McGlynn, but cannot risk it, because they like him for their system as much an any offensive linemen in this draft.

What makes you think he fits well. Aren't we looking for a LG or LT down the line? He has played nothing but RT in college at Pitt.

I don't think they're going to move Levi any time soon with Leinart back there.

http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcglynn_mike00.html

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
2. WR Robert Ferguson (Vikings). 28 years old...(6-1, 210, 7, Texas A&M). He too has been hampered by injuries, but the talent is there, and he could be the perfect replacement for BJ.

Ferg signed with Minny and Thomas re-upped with the Colts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard