Spider-Man: Homecoming

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marvel released the first 10 minutes online in an effort to promote it's release on digital download. You can watch it here...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people complain about the AI in his suit. I think part of the reason they went with that was so Spider-Man could have sort of an inner dialogue like he does in the comics and adding the AI helped accomplish that without having him talk to himself like Deadpool. I didn't mind it for that reason, also it's Jennifer Connelly who voices the suit which I thought was cool. She's married to Paul Bettany in real life, who played Jarvis and now Vision.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people complain about the AI in his suit. I think part of the reason they went with that was so Spider-Man could have sort of an inner dialogue like he does in the comics and adding the AI helped accomplish that without having him talk to himself like Deadpool. I didn't mind it for that reason, also it's Jennifer Connelly who voices the suit which I thought was cool. She's married to Paul Bettany in real life, who played Jarvis and now Vision.
as much as I didnt really like it...I have to admit the banter between he and the suit was some of the best stuff in the movie.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would have been a so-so movie without Peter's chubby buddy. Great stuff there.

As to the movie overall, I found it really good but not great. Some of the special effects with spidey swinging around looked choppy to me. The almost total disregard of canon was also disappointing to me. Plus, as funny as a lot of it was, I thought they went over the top with it. The Guardians movies and last Thor movie were right on the edge of overdoing it with the funny stuff, but like a good wide receiver, managed to stay in bounds. Homecoming simply overdid it, IMHO. The magic of Marvel has been the ability to blend humor into serious stuff. Homecoming is a comedy that they interject some serious stuff into. I LIKE the serious stuff as well as the comedy but I want the foundation of the movie to be the serious stuff.

Michael Keaton was fantastic. I just love this guy. I wonder if anyone in the business can tell me why this actor doesn't get more parts.

Aunt May as a younger woman just didn't work for me. There were reasons for her to be older.

My favorite of the Spider-Man movies is still Spiderman 2, with Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus. Got it on Blu-Ray.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This would have been a so-so movie without Peter's chubby buddy. Great stuff there.

As to the movie overall, I found it really good but not great. Some of the special effects with spidey swinging around looked choppy to me. The almost total disregard of canon was also disappointing to me. Plus, as funny as a lot of it was, I thought they went over the top with it. The Guardians movies and last Thor movie were right on the edge of overdoing it with the funny stuff, but like a good wide receiver, managed to stay in bounds. Homecoming simply overdid it, IMHO. The magic of Marvel has been the ability to blend humor into serious stuff. Homecoming is a comedy that they interject some serious stuff into. I LIKE the serious stuff as well as the comedy but I want the foundation of the movie to be the serious stuff.

Michael Keaton was fantastic. I just love this guy. I wonder if anyone in the business can tell me why this actor doesn't get more parts.

Aunt May as a younger woman just didn't work for me. There were reasons for her to be older.

My favorite of the Spider-Man movies is still Spiderman 2, with Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus. Got it on Blu-Ray.

You though this one overdid the comedy, but THOR didn't? We have vastly different tastes!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Thor managed to walk the line without stepping over. Homecoming went well over.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree. I thought both movies did a fantastic job of balance.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spider-Man is the sort of character you expect to be featured in a comedic film. Thor on the other hand should be taken more seriously, especially when he's in Asgard. It's one thing to draw humor from him being on Earth as a fish out of water but Ragnarok was a joke all the way through. Spider-Man managed a decent balance of comedy and action. It wasn't as serious as the Raimi films but that was fine, IMO. I don't understand how someone could think Spider-Man had more comedy than Ragnarok though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Spider-Man is the sort of character you expect to be featured in a comedic film. Thor on the other hand should be taken more seriously, especially when he's in Asgard. It's one thing to draw humor from him being on Earth as a fish out of water but Ragnarok was a joke all the way through. Spider-Man managed a decent balance of comedy and action. It wasn't as serious as the Raimi films but that was fine, IMO. I don't understand how someone could think Spider-Man had more comedy than Ragnarok though.

I'm with Poop Head. I felt like yakety sax was playing in the background for almost the entirety of Thor. They ha a fantastic goth-style villain, and they minimized her as much as possible to buy a few more laughs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded the comedy in Thor so much if that wasn't the third film in his series. It was so different from the first 2 films and how he'd be shown before that it was off putting. It's fine to make jokes in a Thor film but they went overboard. They ended up wasting Hela and
killing off the Warrior Three (Hogun, Volstagg, and Fandral)
made me not care for a future Thor film much at all. Valkyrie's cool, kind of, but I think that's Tessa Thompson more than the character.

In Homecoming though it seemed like they were establishing a tone with the character. He was shown like that in Civil War also but the Raimi films and the Andrew Garfield reboot had different versions of the character. Marvel needed to establish how the character would be with them going forward. I hope they get a little more serious but if they don't I can live with it, mainly because John Watts is returning to direct. I liked his style of humor and the film overall. He said he tried to make a comic book version of a John Hughes film and it did feel like that to a certain extent. He was fairly consistent in Infinity War also because Marvel brought in Watts and other directors of their films to make sure their characters were handled properly.

I wish Marvel would do that more in the future, retain a director for more than one film so we don't get a Thor situation again where a different director handles each film. Stylistically they all feel very different when that happens, like with Thor. I know they're screwed with Guardians to a certain degree but I think those characters are more established so someone else can pick up where Gunn left off.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
spider man has always been funny.... Pete is a teenager...

" You have a metal arm?? Man, that's so cool".... kinda set the tone, and personally I loved it that they have taken spidey back to the natural curiosity Pete has combined with the wonder and joy of being a super hero.... also as they noted in CW...spidey has conversations with his opponents....he has always done so.