Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading that would be a 1st round draft pick 2026 or after. I'm not locked on Gordon but a tweak or two would be nice for the Suns.

If it doesn't happen I may have to personally go scout G-League players. :cool:
In this case it's not just about acquiring Gordon for the Suns lineup. It becomes a game of defense preventing a Western Conference rival from getting a dangerous addition IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harrison Barnes could be traded by Kings. A number of people in the media would like him for the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case it's not just about acquiring Gordon for the Suns lineup. It becomes a game of defense preventing a Western Conference rival from getting a dangerous addition IMO.

James Jones was asked that in an interview. He doesn't play defense in these situations.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones was asked that in an interview. He doesn't play defense in these situations.
In this case it would be a legit backup to CP3 which is a different scenario. At any rate I am taking anything James Jones says with a grain of salt considering he has made similar stances and made a move anyway.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gordon seems like an odd fit there for some reason.
Utah has more guards who can initiate offense than the Suns do but they also shoot a ton of threes, which is something Gordon is regarded for. Only one basketball for a lot of guys to touch.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case it would be a legit backup to CP3 which is a different scenario. At any rate I am taking anything James Jones says with a grain of salt considering he has made similar stances and made a move anyway.

I understand but James Jones has only made three in-season moves I recall: Payne, Craig and Biyombo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand but James Jones has only made three in-season moves I recall: Payne, Craig and Biyombo.
And we have the best record in the NBA since he made the first of those three moves. We've gone 103-31 in the regular season since we signed Payne. Winning 77% of our games, who could have imagined that just a few years ago?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we have the best record in the NBA since he made the first of those three moves. We've gone 103-31 in the regular season since we signed Payne. Winning 77% of our games, who could have imagined that just a few years ago?

It's amazing and I think a part of it is the culture James Jones and Monty Williams has built with the players. There seems to be a level of trust in the way the front office does things.

While I'd like to tweak the roster I try to balance it knowing the Suns have built something special. I wouldn't want to mess with chemistry.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To his credit, CP3 plays a game that is much more cerebral than athletic. He doesn't push much or leap much. He plays a game that ages well.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
No way Saric doesn't get ruled out for the year. Working out and rehabbing is different from running up and down the court and putting all kinds of pressure. Also, regardless of the doctor? They listen to the athletes. If Saric doesn't feel like he can comeback 100% he is not going to risk the rest of his career. This wouldn't be a problem. The Nuggets were in the exact same position.

Im not really giving an opinion, I am just trying to let people know how the DPE works since it is a often misunderstood exception. You can pretend that the criteria is something different than it is, it doesn’t overly affect me. But the fact is, Saric went down with a torn acl on July 7th 2021. The average time out for a torn ACL is a shade under 10 months. To qualify for the DPE an independent doctor, appointed by the nba, reviews the medical information and determines if there is a chance that they could be medically cleared by June 15, 2022 (over 11 months after Saric’s injury). The deadline to apply is January 15th 2022 (5 months before the cut off date). The doctor doesn’t “listen to the athlete”, or get influenced by the team, they are kinda like an insurance adjuster. Without a clear medical setback, which there hasn’t been, getting a DPE for Saric was highly unlikely from the start. Now, do I think Saric will return this season? Absolutely not. I can’t imagine the Suns trying to ease Saric back into the lineup during the playoffs. Also, if I was Saric I would probably want to take the offseason to insure that everything was 110% copacetic. But neither of those two things have even 1% affect on the DPE.
The DPE isn’t exactly the most exciting thing in the world, and I would just assume not have to explain it anymore. I am just trying to pass along information and extinguish misinformation.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
42 minutes for CP3 on a back to back. They have to do something at guard to get this guy rest or he is going to break down.
This. Cam hasn't been as consistent this season and now he is coming back from injury. Even before Cams injury, CP3 was putting in some heavy minutes out of necessity to put games away. Chris isn't a spring chicken. Do we really want to run him into the ground BEFORE the playoffs? We all know he will play heavy minutes in the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not really giving an opinion, I am just trying to let people know how the DPE works since it is a often misunderstood exception. You can pretend that the criteria is something different than it is, it doesn’t overly affect me. But the fact is, Saric went down with a torn on July 7th 2021. The average time out for a torn ACL is a shade under 10 months. To qualify for the DPE an independent doctor, appointed by the nba, reviews the medical information and determines if there is a chance that they could be medically cleared by June 15, 2022 (over 11 months after Saric’s injury). The deadline to apply is January 15th 2022 (5 months before the cut off date). The doctor doesn’t “listen to the athlete”, or get influenced by the team, they are kinda like an insurance adjuster. Without a clear medical setback, which there hasn’t been, getting a DPE for Saric was highly unlikely from the start. Now, do I think Saric will return this season? Absolutely not. I can’t imagine the Suns trying to ease Saric back into the lineup during the playoffs. Also, if I was Saric I would probably want to take the offseason to insure that everything was 110% copacetic. But neither of those two things have even 1% affect on the DPE.
The DPE isn’t exactly the most exciting thing in the world, and I would just assume not have to explain it anymore. I am just trying to pass along information and extinguish misinformation.
I thought we had till March to file but I guess that's the date it has to be used by. Still, it's just not that valuable of a move when you consider all the limitations. And it is by no means a sure thing, Washington was turned down for a DPE on John Wall a couple years ago. He didn't play during the time frame and wasn't expected to but it just wasn't a sure enough thing for the NBA to approve it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Cam hasn't been as consistent this season and now he is coming back from injury. Even before Cams injury, CP3 was putting in some heavy minutes out of necessity to put games away. Chris isn't a spring chicken. Do we really want to run him into the ground BEFORE the playoffs? We all know he will play heavy minutes in the playoffs.

There will be a buyout market after the trade deadline. Even if the Suns do not make a trade they could look there. Of course they would have to create a roster spot by waiving a player.

There should be some very interesting buyouts and the Suns have their partial MLE ($4.5 million) to use which would be very attractive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris is averaging 33.3 minutes per game this season. Since Cam's injury he's been averaging closer to 37 per. Paul usually paces himself (especially on D) until the 4th quarter so I can live with 33 minutes even at his age. I think it's probably unreasonable to expect him to accept playing fewer than 33 minutes a game although a night off every now and then would be nice. But the 37 per game is too many minutes for him, so yeah, we need help.

How desperately we need that help depends on the return time of Payne and to a lesser extent Shamet. But regardless, if we get a chance to add a player of Payne's caliber or greater without breaking up the team, we need to do it. But if Payne and Shamet are coming back shortly after the All Star break, I see no need to give up an asset (greater than a 2nd round pick) for someone that can't crack the rotation - better to just add a body cheap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will be a buyout market after the trade deadline. Even if the Suns do not make a trade they could look there. Of course they would have to create a roster spot by waiving a player.

There should be some very interesting buyouts and the Suns have their partial MLE ($4.5 million) to use which would be very attractive.
They can’t keep playing him these kinda of minutes until the buyout. The cum effect is going to wear him down.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics reportedly looking for a shooter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can’t keep playing him these kinda of minutes until the buyout. The cum effect is going to wear him down.

I was looking for an official date when buyouts begin but I couldn't find it. It could begin as early as when the trade deadline ends. I'm really not sure.

However, I agree with your sentiment. The Suns should minimally be looking at every option to acquire another guard even if it's only on a 10-day contract or a two-way contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the worst contract in the NBA gonna be impossible to move and they don’t have any first round picks until 2027

Maybe Westbrook for Wall? I have no idea if Wall is ready to play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the worst contract in the NBA gonna be impossible to move and they don’t have any first round picks until 2027
They’re going to have to trade a bad contract for another bad contract and hope for a miracle.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Russ is done in LA... or at least he should be.
How? Nobody with 2 firing brain cells should trade for him. If he is done there, it means he will have to sit at home like John Wall.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Westbrook for Wall? I have no idea if Wall is ready to play.
Why would Houston do that? Isn't Walls contract over a year earlier?

Edit: I guess not - both Westbrook and Walls deal expire next year. But even so, Houston should be familiar what a cancer he is and not want to put him around a rebuilding team.