Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
As I don't know enough about the league in general (really hard to watch/follow the NBA in Austria, way harder than the NFL) I just wanted to ask if any of you see a possibility for Jakob Poeltl to get traded to a contender (maybe even Suns)? Thanks in advance!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I don't know enough about the league in general (really hard to watch/follow the NBA in Austria, way harder than the NFL) I just wanted to ask if any of you see a possibility for Jakob Poeltl to get traded to a contender (maybe even Suns)? Thanks in advance!

I'd say there is virtually no chance that happens. The Spurs are really high on Poeltl and he doesn't really fill a need for the Suns either. The Suns have more depth at Center than any other position right now so Poeltl would be 3rd string here, maybe 2nd. The only way the Suns would trade for him would be if Ayton wants out and wants to go to San Antonio and we work on a sign and trade deal with them. The odds of that happening are really low. It's more likely the Suns win the title this year than that happening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, if they don't use Saric's contract to make a move, I'm going to be pretty upset they didn't designate him done for the season, because that would have opened up a 4.5 million dollar trade exemption they could have used to look for a back-up PG/SG from a team that's looking to shed salary.

that guy doesn't have a spot in this year's rotation as it is, especially not as some guy just fresh off an ACL rehab and missing 10 months of basketball.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I'll be honest, if they don't use Saric's contract to make a move, I'm going to be pretty upset they didn't designate him done for the season, because that would have opened up a 4.5 million dollar trade exemption they could have used to look for a back-up PG/SG from a team that's looking to shed salary.

that guy doesn't have a spot in this year's rotation as it is, especially not as some guy just fresh off an ACL rehab and missing 10 months of basketball.

You can’t just designate him done for the season to be eligible for the injury exception. A 3rd party doctor has to deem that there is a 0% chance of the player being able to return at any point of the season (which Saric wouldn’t of qualified for).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t just designate him done for the season to be eligible for the injury exception. A 3rd party doctor has to deem that there is a 0% chance of the player being able to return at any point of the season (which Saric wouldn’t of qualified for).
If you think the Suns couldn’t find the doctor to make that call, I think you’re being naive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns don’t get to pick the doctor.
Plus it isn't just free cap space like so many seem to think. I'm pretty sure you can only use it on a player waived in his final season or traded for in his final season or for a single year free agent. And I believe we can still apply for it until sometime in March so if we think we can get it and if we have a legitimate target, it's still a possibility. Slim though considering Saric is coming along well from all reports.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nuggets were granted a Disabled Player Exception for Michael Porter Jr. and he might return.
Yeah that one surprised me when it happened but I guess the NBA doctor that approved it figured it was highly unlikely he'd return this season given he's had back problems before this surgery.

But as has been said, it's almost useless anyway. It isn't much money (Porter's is for less than 3 million), it's limited in how it can be used and there is a small window to use it in on top of being difficult to qualify for. From NBC Sports:

This means an NBA-appointed doctor ruled it’s “substantially more likely than not” Porter will be out through June 15.

If he beats that timeline, Porter can return. But this is a strong signal he’s done for the season.

The $2,629,368 disabled-player exception gives the Nuggets another tool if they want to further upgrade their roster.

But Denver’s ceiling is capped with Porter apparently highly likely to miss the rest of the season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that one surprised me when it happened but I guess the NBA doctor that approved it figured it was highly unlikely he'd return this season given he's had back problems before this surgery.

But as has been said, it's almost useless anyway. It isn't much money (Porter's is for less than 3 million), it's limited in how it can be used and there is a small window to use it in on top of being difficult to qualify for.

I'm only joining the conversation. The Suns have a $4.5 million MLE if they want to use it. They really don't need the Disabled Player Exception unless they want to keep all their roster players if a player like Saric doesn't return.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was ruled out for the year by an NBA appointed doctor. The teams have ZERO control over the doctor or the ruling.
No way Saric doesn't get ruled out for the year. Working out and rehabbing is different from running up and down the court and putting all kinds of pressure. Also, regardless of the doctor? They listen to the athletes. If Saric doesn't feel like he can comeback 100% he is not going to risk the rest of his career. This wouldn't be a problem. The Nuggets were in the exact same position.
I have no idea if it's the Suns. I'm just saying DO IT.

and we have no idea when Payne will be back. Or Shamet can ever even be mediocre this year.
I am with you. DO IT.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Nets and 76ers are still talking per some reports. If I were the 76ers I wouldn't part with Maxey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports indicate the Jazz are pursuing Eric Gordon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Harden for Simmons trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports indicate the Jazz are pursuing Eric Gordon.

That would be really bad for the Suns. The Jazz adding more firepower to that lineup? YIKES. Suns better put their hat in the ring.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the floodgates open.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be really bad for the Suns. The Jazz adding more firepower to that lineup? YIKES. Suns better put their hat in the ring.

I was reading that would be a 1st round draft pick 2026 or after. I'm not locked on Gordon but a tweak or two would be nice for the Suns.

If it doesn't happen I may have to personally go scout G-League players. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA