Should the Cards draft a QB or another position player?

Should the Cards draft a QB or another postion player with their pick in the draft.

• Another Position

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • QB

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Should the Cards draft a QB or another position player with their draft pick?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft defense. We don't need a high priced QB riding the bench for the next year or two.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
IMO QB put only if Manning is there if not we look to get a stud at CB or WR or OL

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Well I have to say that I was all for drafting a QB with the #3 pick this year.

However after a few of the lengthy discussions, in which I actively argued for a QB, I have been convinced otherwise, and now belive that we should draft another position.

I think it was actually seeing for myself the number of 1st rd QBs that washed out. A list that I posted no less. :D

I also think the value at 7 or 8 is comparable to the value at 3rd, and strongly belive that we should trade down.

seesred

Reaction score
Old subject but just not to be left out..Manning if he is there and trade down or if Fitz or Williams. High profile player that can jump start our offense. Take a CB or DT in secind and so forth.

GBR

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
For me the easy choice would be Roethlisberger. He is #1 on my list. Manning is #2. If we don't get either one of them I would rather trade down. Roethlisberger looks like a mobile Dan Marino to me and I would not pass on a guy like that in the draft. If Josh McCown turns out to not be the guy we are hoping he could be then this team will be sitting at 4-12 again and I am not alright with that. QB is the most important position there is and I just don't see how we could pass on either Eli or Ben.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
I'm voting not a QB for my opinion.
But over all I'm saying go with who ever Green says he needs. DG's got more credibility and a better track record than anyone else in the organization right now.
Of course, that's not saying a whole lot...

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
best available

I WANT the best available player. Furthermore, I am willing <gasp> to let the Cardinals (Green) decide who that is. If they tell me its Fitz, Manning, Gallery, Williams or Taylor... so be it. Thats who I want.

In my opinion, I think Gallery and Manning are going to be the gems of this class and I'd be thrilled with either...

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Originally posted by Snakester
For me the easy choice would be Roethlisberger. He is #1 on my list. Manning is #2. If we don't get either one of them I would rather trade down. Roethlisberger looks like a mobile Dan Marino to me and I would not pass on a guy like that in the draft. If Josh McCown turns out to not be the guy we are hoping he could be then this team will be sitting at 4-12 again and I am not alright with that. QB is the most important position there is and I just don't see how we could pass on either Eli or Ben.

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Snakester
Huh? Josh is starting next year even if Eli or Ben are drafted. Them sitting on the bench doesn't effect whether the team wins 4 or 8 games. What might though is taking huge producer at WR who can help Josh. Or an amazing LT who can help Josh or even a big time S who can help the defense steal a game or two. If we draft Ben or Eli the odds of a 4 win season are more likely then not. And a bad season the next year too. QBs hardly ever do well out of the shoot. Culpepper sat 1 year. And he would have sat 2 if Marino had signed for a final year with the Vikes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
Huh? Josh is starting next year even if Eli or Ben are drafted. Them sitting on the bench doesn't effect whether the team wins 4 or 8 games. What might though is taking huge producer at WR who can help Josh. Or an amazing LT who can help Josh or even a big time S who can help the defense steal a game or two. If we draft Ben or Eli the odds of a 4 win season are more likely then not. And a bad season the next year too. QBs hardly ever do well out of the shoot. Culpepper sat 1 year. And he would have sat 2 if Marino had signed for a final year with the Vikes.

This is exactly the logic that helps keep us perennial losers in the NFL. You CANNOT draft a kid and expect him to start right away, from day one, especially a QB. Boldin is an exception, by far. BJ gets a lot of flak, but he was a rookie...he did about what he should have done. Pace? Eh, I wasn't encouraged by his play, but again, he was a rookie, and was pressed into duty too soon, IMO. You have to give your draft picks time to develop.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
This is exactly the logic that helps keep us perennial losers in the NFL. You CANNOT draft a kid and expect him to start right away, from day one, especially a QB. Boldin is an exception, by far. BJ gets a lot of flak, but he was a rookie...he did about what he should have done. Pace? Eh, I wasn't encouraged by his play, but again, he was a rookie, and was pressed into duty too soon, IMO. You have to give your draft picks time to develop.

Exactly I don't care who we draft Josh is the starter. The rookie would have to carry the clip board this year unless josh and king both got hurt. Then next year the three fight it out in camp (if we can resign Josh.)

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Any time you get the opportunity to draft a franchise QB you need to take it. Even if he has to carry a clip board for teo or three years. I'm not say that Eli or Ben can play at that level in the NFL, but if their college level of play show that they can, and one or more available, you make your selection.

Having a shot at a future hall of famer may occur only once or twice every decade or so, especially at the QB position. IMO, I don't see Dennis Green letting it go by if either player is available.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RonF

Having a shot at a future hall of famer may occur only once or twice every decade or so, especially at the QB position. IMO, I don't see Dennis Green letting it go by if either player is available. [/B]

Aren't they all future hall of famers? I said it before and I'll say it again. Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb have never been to the Super Bowl. It's not because they are not good enough. It's because you need more than a "hall of fame" QB to get there.

As you probably guessed by now..NO TO DRAFTING A QB.