DarlinG

Reaction score
Would you do it?

from David Lord, Dallasbasketball.com.

---------------------------------------------------------
A Logical Proposal To Trade Josh For Shaq
With The Suns 'Splintering,' A Deal To Energize Phoenix And Mavs
By David Lord -- DB.com
"What would you do if you were the Mavs?" I'm often asked.
"Who would you target? What would be your plan?"
And up until now, I' ve usually bailed on answering,
because I didn't see
a) obvious targets that
b) might be available where
c) the Mavs could offer a win-win trade and
d) get where they want to go.
But now I do.
Rumblings from the NBA's grapevine have given me an answer
so I can give you an answer. One I really like, in fact.
It involves the Mavs trading for Shaquille O’Neal.
This is DallasBasketball.com Law, and let's put down this groundwork first: We always differentiate between trade notions that we present that are the result of conversations with the Mavs and other teams, and trade notions that are of our own creation. This is the latter. And, of course, our body or work speaks for itself in regard to creating our own notions that actually make sense according
to the CBA and the like.
Having said that.
There is talk from the desert that the Suns might be thinking of changing course again. Their self-admitted problem is that the mix of Shaq and Amare hasn't been good for either Amare or Nash.
It seems clear (and logical) that the Suns long-term preference is to keep Nash and build around the younger Amare (26) rather than continue to rely on O'Neal as a future foundation piece.
"We are splintering," says team leader Steve Nash,
adding that he thinks it's "50-50" whether Phoenix management will break up its team.
If that's true, could Shaq possibly be available in trade?
It would seem so. It would seem "50-50" so.
What other intelligent way would there be for that franchise to restructure itself?
Given his high salary and age, the Suns might have a tough time finding teams with the right mix of contracts and talent to make an attractive trade match.
But if I'm Mavs owner Mark Cuban, the Big Cactus (who will have to come up with yet another nickname)
goes right to the top of my target list. And I may have just what the Suns want.
Can the Mavs make a deal that fits the trade rules?
Absolutely. The deal that makes the most sense to me would be to offer Josh Howard, with Jerry Stackhouse's contract as filler, and get back Shaq and reserve wing Matt Barnes.
No picks. No cash. A simple two-for-two.
Wouldn't the Suns want more? Won't the Mavs have to add in some younger players?
While the Mavs could certainly do that, I'm not sure the Suns would want it.
The more players you send means the more salary they'll be getting back.
That's not owner Robert Sarver's bag.
What's in it for Dallas?
The Mavs' need for interior offense would be addressed.(Yay! Easy baskets!)
Shaq' s ability as a game-changing defender(at least in spurts) would be welcomed.
Barnes would help fill the hole left by the departure of Howard, and he would also fill
that "energy gap" that is being discussed in-house as a Mavs need.
And I think overall, that need for additional scoring would be met by the two acquisitions.
In fact, Shaq -- who is playing 31 minutes per and pulling down nine rebounds per
-- is also averaging 18 ppg.
Isn't that the target number for what Dallas wants of Josh to be its "second scorer" ?

For that matter, the addition of Shaq would fill the energy/excitement gap as well.
A starting lineup led by Dirk, Kidd and Shaq? Compelling.
Bethlehem Shoals notes accurately that O'Neal is on his "last hurrah."
But could is just be his second-to-last hurrah?
What's in it for Phoenix? They immediately can return to the free-flowing offense
that is more natural for their two main talents (Amare and Nash),
and Josh can help fill the role of defender/shooter/rebounder that Shawn Marion excelled in.
But there's another benefit to the Suns that may make them even more eager to do this deal.
This trade would IMMEDIATELY lower the Suns' team salary by almost $5M,
which would put them below the tax threshold. That would not only save them some payroll
but would also save them an additional $5M in tax they otherwise would have been forced to pay,
plus it would qualify them for a share of the league welfare that goes to the tax-free teams
(this year probably $2-3M).
In addition, the Suns' team salary for 2009-10 would be reduced by about $10M,
which would take them from tax payer to tax free in that year as well.
The Suns get younger and faster and they save money. The Mavs get value for what we at DB.com have termed Josh' s "60-cents-on-the-dollar" situation and they yet another "home-run swing" in the KIDDIRK Era.
And the Mavs get something else.

The one final issue that needs to be addressed – and one that looms as the most import!ant thing this side of immediate championship contention -- is the summer of 2010. How would this deal impact the prospects of both teams in regards to their options that year? It wouldn't. None of the contracts carry any team obligations past June of 2010.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
If this is to happen ...

A. I'm excited for Shaq. His chance of winning a championship is dramatically increased. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, there is not a cry-baby to take care of in Dallas.

B. I feel happy for Sarvar. Saving 10 million bucks is a big deal. U know how cold it is out there in economy world.

C. I feel sorry for Nash. His final chance of winning a championship is gone. Stick with Amare for more fun in G&R games, as u wish. And go fishing or soccer in May.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I love these trade ideas...

"Hmmm, what isn't working on our team? What is working on other teams? OK, we'll trade what doesn't work for us, for what is working for you... deal?

Take a hike, or throw in Jason Terry... Yeah, I didn't think you would.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Awful trade idea for the Suns. Great for the Mavs. At his best Josh Howard was a Shawn Marion clone, but not quite as good in the areas the Suns need (defense, rebounding). And he's having a down year this year.

The Suns traded Shawn for a reason - why would they give up a rejuvenated Shaq AND a very affordable bench player in Barnes to get be a lesser imitation of Shawn?

The Dallas media is like the Boston media - they think the entire sporting world exists to serve the good of their teams. Ugh.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Howard would be wonderful as a future piece. Kind of an out with the old, in with the new kind of deal, especially considering Barnes will probably demand some cash when resigning time comes around.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns traded Shawn for a reason - why would they give up a rejuvenated Shaq AND a very affordable bench player in Barnes to get be a lesser imitation of Shawn?

Maybe because he's younger than Marion, makes less, and is signed for longer?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the worst trades I have heard all season. We are #3 in NBA with points in the paint. You want to go back to shooting 3's all the freaking time???

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
One of the worst trades I have heard all season. We are #3 in NBA with points in the paint. You want to go back to shooting 3's all the freaking time???

When are you going to realize that this season is irrelevant? The Suns need to start planning for the future. O'Neal's not going to be manning the paint in 2010-11.

Reaction score
I would do this if we could work it out where we send JHO somewhere else for a young big that could play next to Amare. Also a 1st rounder from Dallas.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When are you going to realize that this season is irrelevant? The Suns need to start planning for the future. O'Neal's not going to be manning the paint in 2010-11.

Fair enough. However, there is nothing like starting off on the wrong foot and turning this team into a bunch of midgets. Horrible trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Fair enough. However, there is nothing like starting off on the wrong foot and turning this team into a bunch of midgets. Horrible trade.

Well, they'd still have Stoudemire, the former All-NBA center. They'd go back to playing small and trying to build some credibility for the 2010 free agent bonanza. The way things are going now, they'll have a ton of money to spend and no suitors. Seriously, would you want to play for this team starting in 2010-11?

Remember, Hill is gone soon too, leaving the Suns with absolutely zero wing talent beyond Richardson. Stoudemire/Howard/Richardson is at least a respectable core to try to rebuild around.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they'd still have Stoudemire, the former All-NBA center. They'd go back to playing small and trying to build some credibility for the 2010 free agent bonanza. The way things are going now, they'll have a ton of money to spend and no suitors. Seriously, would you want to play for this team starting in 2010-11?

Remember, Hill is gone soon too, leaving the Suns with absolutely zero wing talent beyond Richardson. Stoudemire/Howard/Richardson is at least a respectable core to try to rebuild around.

Except, I am not convinced the Suns want to hang on to Amare. Also, even if we did keep Amare, he would become our default center which we know is a disaster waiting to happen.

IMO if your going to make a trade, it has to start with getting a Center that can actually play. If the Suns start making these trades for athletic guys who can run up and down the court....well... I might puke.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
IMO if your going to make a trade, it has to start with getting a Center that can actually play.

That would be lovely, but none are available -- certainly not for what the Suns have to offer. Not even Stoudemire could fetch an above-average center in a trade right now.

By the way, I'm not convinced that the Suns want to keep Stoudemire either, but that just makes the need to start rebuilding all the more urgent. O'Neal is wasted on this team.

cly2tw

Reaction score
What for? The weak link against Spurs is that we can't contend Parker. This won't change much by this trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What for? The weak link against Spurs is that we can't contend Parker. This won't change much by this trade.

Good grief, the Suns' problems go far, far beyond their inability to beat the 2009 Spurs. Talk about the tip of the iceberg.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Good grief, the Suns' problems go far, far beyond their inability to beat the 2009 Spurs. Talk about the tip of the iceberg.

Well, one major problem of the Suns is Porter. Another is actually Nash, because Porter plays him so many minutes and hasn't prepared the team well enough for time without Nash.

To break the bad habit, the best way would be to trade Nash and force Porter to find other ways for us to win.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Well, from a rebuilding perspective, if they decide to blow it all up, acquiring athletic talent is a good thing. Even if it's not a long term player. You need to assemble a nice roster of parts you can trade to build a contender - see Barkley trade for the Suns (of course, don't pull a Chicago and acquire them and never swap them for the superstar to put you over the hump).

Anyway, I'm wary of J Howard. He's a talented wing player, but has a lot of miles for his 5-6 years in the league.

Maybe this year is a fluke, but it's troubling in terms of going after him.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison