SEA 22 AZ 16 Analysis

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Bruce Arians could not have scripted up the first segment of the game any better. For the first time in 5 years, upon winning the coin toss, he elected to defer, which gave the Seahawks the ball first. The Cardinals' defense came out swarming---Karlos Dansby, not typically known for storming up gaps, blew up a running play and put a crunch on RB Thomas Rawls, and it was game on.

Seattle was forced to punt, the Cardinals got premier field position near the 50 yard line and on the first play from scrimmage, versus a loaded box, the upright running Adrian Peterson fumbled and Seattle recovered. Unreal. If you are a Cardinals' fan, you almost have to laugh at this just to stop yourself from screaming or tearing your hair out.

This was the first of TWO 1 play offensive drives for the Cardinals in a game that one would think was going to be close. The second one play drive proved even more costly, when inexplicably, PR Kerwynn Williams, in a 7-7 game, fielded a punt on the 2 yard line and thanks to one of two holding calls on once a 3 time Pro Bowl STs player, Justin Bethel, the Cardinals began that series on the 1 1/2 yard line...and after a late developing snap and a swarm of neon yellow, Peterson was tackled in the end zone for the first safety of his career.

Going back to Peterson's fumble, in my opinion, it's gaffes like this, coming off what to that point was a perfectly coached game, that throws not only the players a little out of whack, but the coaches as well.

The rest of the game for the Cardinals was yet another expose on how and why they lose every other week---through self-inflicted errors, untimely mistakes and questionable coaching decisions.

After the game, Arians lauded his players and said that there "played their asses off." Yes, the Cardinals played hard. But, again, playing hard is one thing, but, playing smart and with precision is another.

When the Seahawks loaded the box versus the run, there is really only one choice to make and that is to pass the ball. There is no way a coach with a less athletic and strong offensive line, could look at what the Seahawks have up front, plus with them shifting Kam "the refrigerator (per Fitz)" Chancellor down in the box and conclude that it's a good thing to pound the ball anyway, unless you have a stout FB and a lower the shoulder, smashmouth RB.

Put it this way---without a FB and a smashmouth, lower-the-shoulder and make-you-pay RB, even when the Cardinals' offensive line managed to hold off the Seahawks' studs on the defensive line---it basically set up a 6 foot wide cone drill between RB Adrian Peterson and LB Bobby Wagner, a matchup (because of styles) that Wagner will win 19 out of 20 times. As upright as Peterson runs and as low and quick as Wagner hits, Peterson has no chance. The only chance Peterson would have it to line Wagner up, lower his shoulder, initiate the contact himself, churn his legs and try to break his will.

Even after losing D.J. Humphries to a possibly season ending ACL injury, the Cardinals' pass protection for Drew Stanton was pretty dang good. Plus, BA dialed up a number of pass plays that were wide open...but Stanton, who did play his arse off, no question, is way too erratic. And last night, even when he made completable passes, several of them were dropped, maybe the most costly of which was the one by Andre Ellington who was wide open and all he had to do is catch the ball to convert the third down and the Cardinals are driving for a score before half-time.

Interesting too what the national perception of Drew Stanton is when Tirico, after a Cardinals' penalty, said that "Drew Stanton is not the type of QB who can make up for being 1st and 15."

On the next play on 4th and 8 from the Seahawks' 38 yard line, a classic BA "no risk it, no biscuit" call is made to try to hit J.J. Nelson for a home run up the left sideline. Even Tirico and Colllinsworth predicted it. Stanton threw one of his better passes of the night, but the pass went right through Nelson's hands---which gave Russell Wilson the ball back and he right away hit Paul Richardson on a deep crossing pattern and suddenly a 12-7 game is precariously getting away from the Cardinals. Fortunately, the defense held the Seahawks to a FG and the score was 15-7 at half-time when it could have been and likely should have been 12-10.

In the second half, the Cardinals cut the deficit to 15-10, thanks to some outstanding catches by Larry Fitzgerald...and the Cardinals' defense was playing well thanks in good part to a couple good, quick edge plays by Haason Reddick, a sack by Chandler Jones, a sack and a number of athletic plays by DT Olsen Pierre and some strong RCB play by Tramon Williams...but then, things began to unravel when a flushed Wilson flashed his uncanny Fran Tarkenton moves with Barry Sanders' type body control and with Tyrann Mathieu and Chandler Jones in hot pursuit, winged to ball up the left sideline only to have FS Antoine Bethea, who was having a very good game to that point, totally misjudge the ball, while WR Doug Baldwin jumped in front of him to snag the ball and take all the way down inside the Cardinals' 10 yard line---which set up Wilson's second TD pass of the night to a closely guarded TE Jimmy Graham, who out-leveraged Bethea the same way he did with the Cardinals' (first half of the season defensive MVP) Tyvon Branch, whose knee buckled on the landing and forced him to head for the locker room.

That made the score 22-10...and what happened next was more than mind boggling. With the clock clearly the main enemy at this point, BA and Drew Stanton elected to shun the two minute drill and in doing so wasted valuable time huddling up between each play. By the time the Cardinals finally managed to score, there were under 30 seconds left on the clock. With the score 22-16, the extra point was blocked---which the Seahawks seem to do every year in Arizona---which was meaningless score-wise, but discouraging none the less, especially in light of Phil Dawson's previously missed 6 FGs this season, and yet another game of repeated STs gaffes by the Cardinals. Let's face it, those STs gaffes are not good for the team's morale.

So, now it comes down to an on-side kick. Just when it looked as if Dawson had attempted a traditional bouncer on-side kick, Pete Carroll had called timeout in the nick of time and now he knew which side of the field Dawson was going to kick to.

So, with a timeout and the on-side kick team over on the sidelines, with chance to get every player on the same page, BA is nowhere in sight. His coaching crony STs coordinator Amos Jones has the unit right in front of him, but he doesn't even call them into an organized huddle, instead he gives directions to Dawson and the couple of players standing next to Dawson while the rest of the players were 6-10 feet away and not huddled up.

The on-side attempt was a rarely if ever recovered pooch which was kicked too far downfield---which was basically an easy gift wrapping of the win for the Seahawks. The play was never in doubt. To make matters even worse, even if the on-side kick was a hit bouncer which it should have been, the Cardinals were flagged for being off-sides. This is what you get when you can't even get your unit in a huddle.

On the bright side, the Cardinals got some encouraging performances from WR Larry Fitzgerald (another great game under the lights---man, how well he has treated us for all these years), LT John Wetzel (who got surprised on a bull rush badly one play by Dion Jordan, but did a very good job on Dwight Freeney), RT Jared Veldheer (save his and Gresham's off-side flags on 2 of the only 3 -4 hard counts Stanton tried all night), DT Olsen Pierre, DT Frostee Rucker, OLB Haason Reddick, OLB Chandler Jones, S Budda Baker, CB Tramon Williams and P Andy Lee.

Sad to see all the injuries in this game on both sides. Branch was having his best year as a pro in a contract year (in which he took a paycut), Humphries looked like a stud in this game before he got rolled from behind. Momah, that poor guy suffers yet another season ending injury. But, if you saw and heard Frostee Rucker after the game, he said about Thursday night games that as long as they are on the schedule and every team knows it in advance, "there are no excuses." He said, "they (Seahawks) had to travel to us and they won in our building"---once again---and that's the reality. Rucker looked extremely pissed. Which is why he is a winner.

BA said a couple of weeks ago that the players are "good front-runners" and not good at handling adversity. Well, that can be said in spades about himself and his coaching staff. The coaching in the 4th quarter of this game was regrettably poor. All the wasted seconds off the clock, the STs gaffes and general disorganization, misuse of timeouts, etc. This was not how professional coaches operate and not how they prepare their teams for situational football, especially late in games.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so... BA actually said, "Awww, but they played really haaaard"....

shameful.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excellent analysis as always, Mitch. I'm so fed up with Amos Jones and the entire coaching staff at this point. It's getting to be time to organize a pitchfork & sign crew to assemble on Hardy Drive and demand that Amos be sent packing. As a season ticket holder I feel that he is stealing my ticket money and I want him GONE a long time ago. Everybody in Arizona knows the guy can't coach, except maybe for Arians, yet he's still here. Inexcusable.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Excellent analysis as always, Mitch. I'm so fed up with Amos Jones and the entire coaching staff at this point. It's getting to be time to organize a pitchfork & sign crew to assemble on Hardy Drive and demand that Amos be sent packing. As a season ticket holder I feel that he is stealing my ticket money and I want him GONE a long time ago. Everybody in Arizona knows the guy can't coach, except maybe for Arians, yet he's still here. Inexcusable.

Brak---BA has driven MB and SK into a corner. He said that if they were going to let Amos Jones go, "you might as well fire me."

That's what it comes down to. BA is changing for no one.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I honestly though Arians coached a good game.

There’s only so much you can do with a backup QB playing.

Normally I would agree with you, DV, but Stanton has been with BA and in BA's system for the last 6 years. Look at what Case Keenam is doing in Minnesota and he just arrived there this year.

The QB play has to be better than this.

Stanton is a very likable guy---a high effort guy. But, he's such an erratic passer. In today's NFL a QB, whether he is the #1 or #2 can't be a 50% completion guy. Just can't.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Guys, this game would've been out of control if Seattle hadn't committed 1,000 penalties. I think this game was a stark reminder of the value of Calais Campbell, who consistently overperformed against the Seahawks and helped his teammates make plays.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Normally I would agree with you, DV, but Stanton has been with BA and in BA's system for the last 6 years. Look at what Case Keenam is doing in Minnesota and he just arrived there this year.

Stanton is a very likable guy---a high effort guy. But, he's such an erratic passer. In today's NFL a QB, whether he is the #1 or #2 can't be a 50% completion guy. Just can't.

I get why Stanton is the number 2 behind Palmer on game day - but when Palmer is out for extended time, I really think we can do better that this - especially when we are dependent on the run game that we won't have against better defenses.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Brak---BA has driven MB and SK into a corner. He said that if they were going to let Amos Jones go, "you might as well fire me."

That's what it comes down to. BA is changing for no one.
He actually said that?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Guys, this game would've been out of control if Seattle hadn't committed 1,000 penalties. I think this game was a stark reminder of the value of Calais Campbell, who consistently overperformed against the Seahawks and helped his teammates make plays.
I don't think Campbell was missed at all last night. The defense got good pressure all night...and the line held stout against the run.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That goes both ways though most of the penalties were in fact penalties. The Cards shot themselves in the foot all night, the drop by JJ, the drop by Ellington, the drop by JJ later in the game, Stanton overthrowing a wide open JJ, Stanton missing a wide open JJ down the left side(the ball landed well out of bounds), Stanton missing an open John Brown

We had 2 INT's right in our hands that we dropped, the biggest play of the game was a jump ball lob pass that Bethea mistimed.

Stanton is tough and hangs in there but last night was the perfect example of why he's not a starting QB, he's inaccurate to a fault. And when you have a guy like that you need WR's to step up and help him and ours didn't do that last night.

I honestly am not overly "angry" we're not that good, we're at a point now where I'm wanting to see the young guys play more and start looking at next year.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I did not understand the play calling in the last Cards Drive. Instead of going down field on the sidelines they did short passes in the middle and wasted too much time. Just my opinion

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get why Stanton is the number 2 behind Palmer on game day - but when Palmer is out for extended time, I really think we can do better that this - especially when we are dependent on the run game that we won't have against better defenses.

Whom would you suggest—honestly? Stanton's better than Brissett, Savage, maybe Jay Cutler (at this point), maybe Joe Flacco. He's not concerned about his completion percentage, so he's not dumping the ball off to Andre Ellington on 3rd and 17 for 5 yards.

If you're saying the Cards should've brought in Colin Kaepernick in the preseason, I agree with you. But I don't think that's what you're saying.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Campbell was missed at all last night. The defense got good pressure all night...and the line held stout against the run.

Yeah but imagine how much heat they'd have been under with CC in the middle drawing doubles constantly.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whom would you suggest—honestly? Stanton's better than Brissett, Savage, maybe Jay Cutler (at this point), maybe Joe Flacco. He's not concerned about his completion percentage, so he's not dumping the ball off to Andre Ellington on 3rd and 17 for 5 yards.

If you're saying the Cards should've brought in Colin Kaepernick in the preseason, I agree with you. But I don't think that's what you're saying.

Actually Stanton is not better than any of those guys.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
game analysis:

Andre Ellington "catches" a ball and converts a key 3rd down at the end of the first half. He cant hold on to the ball when he goes to the ground. The Cards get a break when its ruled incomplete. Just a terrible, unforced error by him (yet again) --

instead of first and 10 inside the 25 and time to get a FG with little time for SEA, or maybe even a TD --- instead a failed 4th down conversion gives SEA a chance to kick a FG at the end of the half. A 6 point swing in a game decided by 6 points.

what happened to this guy? Looked like a steal of a 6th round pick -- a guy who made tough catches in traffic his rookie year and was electric out of the backfield. No more.......

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Closer to yes on Kaepernick - when Keim took over and talked about drafting a QB every draft, I though the 3 QBs on the roster would be a great investment - Palmer/Stanton/potential. We did that only once with a TE....errr.. QB in Logan Thomas, and then just leftovers ever since. Not that I wouldn't have Stanton starting games, but I would have that 'other' QB (and would have loved picking up Kaep over Gabbert) in subpackages to help give our offense SOMETHING over just Stanton vs the 8-9 in a box defense, which is one of the few things I miss from the Whiz era (see the other Hasselback).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's their MO so you take advantage of that and the Cards couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Stanton attempted about half a dozen bombs, all of which were sure touchdowns had they been caught and he wasn't close on any of them. This is basic stuff you learn in high school. Sure you're going to miss on a few but not all. He missed on all.

Reaction score
Stanton attempted about half a dozen bombs, all of which were sure touchdowns had they been caught and he wasn't close on any of them. This is basic stuff you learn in high school. Sure you're going to miss on a few but not all. He missed on all.

False statement.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kaepernick isn't an accurate passer either. He was benched for Gabbert if you remember.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he hit JJ right in the hands and it went right through them but yes he missed on every other one, some of them terrible misses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaepernick isn't an accurate passer either. He was benched for Gabbert if you remember.

I was going to say that too.

Kaep is not horrible but he's a bad fit for our offense, Arians wants plays made from the pocket, he's not likely to gameplan to take advantage of CK's ability to run.

When the 49ers tried to get CK to play better from the pocket, it did not work at all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Do you mean that Gabbert was benched for Kaepernick, because that's what actually happened. Loot it up.

Kaepernick can makes plays from the pocket, and he can escape it. He was a better quarterback than Stanton even without his legs.