Sando: Kolb is Cassel

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
wow, 60 million for the next Matt Cassell. That's what we all had in mind.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm so glad we gave up a Pro Bowl cornerback and a 2nd round pick for a guy who might be the 4th or 5th best player on our offense.

Eventually.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm so glad we gave up a Pro Bowl cornerback and a 2nd round pick for a guy who might be the 4th or 5th best player on our offense.

Eventually.
DRC hasn't really done anything in Philly this year but he would be our best DB, but that's not saying alot and I doubt we'd be in much better shape. I'm all for keeping the talent though, and he's talented. Two #2 picks would have been much better but Graves always caves when he's on the short end of the stick.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
He's not even that good, look at the TD to interception ratio, that's a glaring difference between the two even though they were both 1-6 over that span.

The difference in yardage is all because of Fitz.

NO SALE.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That part's bugging me far more than the departure of DRC.

I guess we hit on D Wash and I love Ryan Williams but maybe they figured we suck at 2nd rounders so why not?

I still think Kolb will look a lot better eventually, but I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter who we have back there with our Tackles, and the insistence on all this 4WR leave the OT's on an island, it's not going to matter.

I'm not a Whiz sucks guy but I no longer believe the system works.

We have a similar issue at work we bought an old used phone system which was much cheaper, and will expand to a lot more phones than the new system I wanted to buy would. The problem is the voicemail card keeps failing and the company we bought it from has one guy who can fix it. And he has given me the dos commands(yes I said DOS) to restart it when it fails but it doesn't always work. It's not a good thing to have a system that only one guy can fix, and it's not a good thing to run an offense that takes a HOF level QB to operate.

Remember this is NOT the system they won in Pitt under Whiz, they were a run first team.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I guess we hit on D Wash and I love Ryan Williams but maybe they figured we suck at 2nd rounders so why not?

I still think Kolb will look a lot better eventually, but I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter who we have back there with our Tackles, and the insistence on all this 4WR leave the OT's on an island, it's not going to matter.

We have a similar issue at work we bought an old used phone system which was much cheaper, and will expand to a lot more phones than the new system I wanted to buy would. The problem is the voicemail card keeps failing and the company we bought it from has one guy who can fix it. And he has given me the dos commands(yes I said DOS) to restart it when it fails but it doesn't always work. It's not a good thing to have a system that only one guy can fix, and it's not a good thing to run an offense that takes a HOF level QB to operate.

Remember this is NOT the system they won in Pitt under Whiz, they were a run first team.

LOL, Whis is addicted to the Warner.

He got one taste and now he can't put down the pipe.

I'm just saying he acts like some of the people I've seen in my life that are hooked on something, they'll do anything and suffer anything to get that feeling back including destroy everything around them.

He does IMO act a bit like this, because a reasonable person could see how this is never going to work again with what we have.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Our second round picks have been the ones that we've probably been the most successful with. Daryl Washington, Calais Campbell, Ryan Williams When He's Healthy Maybe Someday. That second rounder should probably have been more valueable to us, especially if you consider that Karlos Dansby was chosen probably at the same place where Philly will be selecting with our pick last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Excellent post that gets to the heart of the Cardinals problem. I'm definitely thinking the Cardinals should trade their first round pick for additional picks. I just don't think Whis gets it. If he did maybe things could be changed. I definitely do not like his attitude of playing not to lose on offense. This irritates me the most.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
DRC hasn't really done anything in Philly this year but he would be our best DB, but that's not saying alot and I doubt we'd be in much better shape. I'm all for keeping the talent though, and he's talented. Two #2 picks would have been much better but Graves always caves when he's on the short end of the stick.

They traded him (he bacame expendable) because he was hard to coach, according to this coaching staff. What's the term they used, "not the most studious of players". Didn't seem like they wanted to spend millions on him, and then he ignores coaching and film more.

Maybe it'll work out for him, but it doesn't seem to be the case so far in Philly.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
DRC will always be a mediocre DB, plays of greatness and then total blown coverages with a complete inability to tackle...giving up a second round pick though is one thing that I do regret with that trade

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They traded him (he bacame expendable) because he was hard to coach, according to this coaching staff. What's the term they used, "not the most studious of players". Didn't seem like they wanted to spend millions on him, and then he ignores coaching and film more.

Maybe it'll work out for him, but it doesn't seem to be the case so far in Philly.

Cardinals eat their young. The front office in Philly was obviously confident enough in DRC to put Asante Samuel on the trade market up to the trade deadling, pissing him off in the process.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
One glaring huge difference------Kolb is trying to adjust to a Whizenhunt invented offensive scheme. Cassel is working in the scheme produced by Todd Haley, (who with Kurt Warner took us to the SB).

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Sando also made a good point in the comments section below the article. Someone asked why the Cards get rid of all their best players, and Sando replied that the way Graves structures contracts, makes it tough to re-sign them. Not only is Graves the worst talent evaluating GM in the league, he doesn't even know how to structure contracts to keep our core players. He's the second coming of Matt Millen, not good company to be in...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

let's make a quick examination of your points:

1. funny that the staff said this AFTER they traded him away in a trade that was mostly PANNED as getting ripped off. does the word "spin" have any relevance here . . . ?

2. In DRC's current defense, he's playing behing asante samuels (a decorated CB with a lot of experience with the team) and nbamanbadai asomoughasasfasd, largely touted as one of the two best CBs in the league.

to dismiss the loss of DRC, particularly given the limited experience of our DBs CBs entering the season, is silly. even if toler played he was a young CB with only a year of starting experience. without him no proven starters.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DRC will always be a mediocre DB, plays of greatness and then total blown coverages with a complete inability to tackle...giving up a second round pick though is one thing that I do regret with that trade

For me the biggest regret is receiving Kevin Kolb.

ZING!

Back on topic though. Seriously, I would agree. At max potential Kevin Kolb could be a poor man's Matt Cassell and I dont think that should be a surprise to anyone. There was never an indication he had franchise potential.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
let's make a quick examination of your points:

1. funny that the staff said this AFTER they traded him away in a trade that was mostly PANNED as getting ripped off. does the word "spin" have any relevance here . . . ?

2. In DRC's current defense, he's playing behing asante samuels (a decorated CB with a lot of experience with the team) and nbamanbadai asomoughasasfasd, largely touted as one of the two best CBs in the league.

to dismiss the loss of DRC, particularly given the limited experience of our DBs CBs entering the season, is silly. even if toler played he was a young CB with only a year of starting experience. without him no proven starters.
1. are they supposed to openly bash their players while they play for them? That's not how I would try to fix it...

2. true. Can't argue with this. Samuels is VERY solid, and Namdi is unreal. I actually had a conversation with Toler at their camp about this very thing

3. 2010 season Toler was our best CB. Now it may be because the matchups weren't fair, but he started 3 less games (completely missed 2 I believe) and had something like DOUBLE the tackles and better coverage. You know DRC can catch damn near anybody on the football field, how was he not making more tackles?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. are they supposed to openly bash their players while they play for them? That's not how I would try to fix it...

2. true. Can't argue with this. Samuels is VERY solid, and Namdi is unreal. I actually had a conversation with Toler at their camp about this very thing

3. 2010 season Toler was our best CB. Now it may be because the matchups weren't fair, but he started 3 less games (completely missed 2 I believe) and had something like DOUBLE the tackles and better coverage. You know DRC can catch damn near anybody on the football field, how was he not making more tackles?

Part of the reason Tolar got more tackles is because his idea of coverage was to give the guy 5 yards of space, then tackle him after he caught the ball. To me, if you actually wanted a pass to not be completed DRC was by far the better corner. He would get burned by trying to jump routes or relying far too much on his athleticism, not to mention he was always on the other teams #1 guy. While Tolar is giving up 10-15 yards per target... but getting that tackle afterwards!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson