Ryan Broyles Anyone?

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He looked outstanding last season before his injury. I believe he could be the steal of the draft. He reminded me a lot of Isaac Bruce watching him play. Though I doubt he would be as good at the NFL level.

If we don't go Floyd in the first round, if Broyles is there in the 5th I think we should go for it.

OU's Broyles readies April 12 NFL workout

April, 5, 2012

By David Ubben | ESPN.com

Oklahoma receiver Ryan Broyles hasn't been heard from much since tearing his ACL in November, weeks after setting the FBS record for career receptions.

That's especially been true as the pass-catcher has been unable to work out for NFL scouts, leaving Broyles in danger of being overlooked in favor of numerous other receivers who lacked his production.

Two weeks before the draft and five months after injuring the knee, Broyles will give scouts a chance to see what he can do with a workout on April 12, according to The Sports Xchange.

"I'm feeling confident and I feel great," Broyles told the site. "I can't give you a percentage, it's not 100 percent but the left leg is getting closer to being as strong as the right leg."

The fluky, non-contact injury left Broyles in tears and OU's receiving corps in shambles as the Sooners lost two of their final three games in the regular season. Broyles has become a likely sixth-round selection after being seen as a possible second- or third-round pick before the injury.

"My dream has always been to play in the NFL, not be a first-round draft pick, just to be a pick," Broyles said. "It's not about where you get picked. It's not about how much money you make. It's about how much you save. I've heard that a lot. I'm on my saving kick already."

Broyles' feel for space was unrivaled in the Big 12 last season and was the biggest reason for his production, but Broyles looked the part of speedster at times, too. It'll be interesting to see what he can do this soon, and if he can help his stock with the very late workout.

The 5-foot-10, 192-pounder is undersized for the position, but it's hard to imagine he won't land in an NFL camp and earn a living as a slot receiver at the next level. Here's hoping he's at least healthy enough to get a fair shot.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fifth round sounds about right, from what I've heard.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
In the 5th I'd be running to the podium. I'd be interested in the 4th.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is the right year for "drafting for the future?"

Or are we in a unique situation this offseason where we have to make as many picks as possible pay off right now?

Broyles won't return our investment for at least a year and reduces the number of picks who can help us now - by one. If that's what you want to do...OK. But it's a dicey move involving having brass cojones considering our problems.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Or are we in a unique situation this offseason where we have to make as many picks as possible pay off right now?

Broyles won't return our investment for at least a year and reduces the number of picks who can help us now - by one. If that's what you want to do...OK. But it's a dicey move involving having brass cojones considering our problems.

Fifth round picks are about the future.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hell yeah!!! Broyles is a absolute stud when he gets well & saw him play over & over in the Big 12. He could destroy teams focusing on Fitz & might be a darn good slot guy. I would take him in the 3rd. He & Childs from Arkansas were close to the level of production of Blackmon before injuries derailed the careers.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Your post is just a wee bit melodramatic, don't cha think, Jeff?

In any case, brass cajones are something the Cards front office and Wiz do not have. Inflated self worth maybe, but not brass cajones.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He looked outstanding last season before his injury. I believe he could be the steal of the draft. He reminded me a lot of Isaac Bruce watching him play. Though I doubt he would be as good at the NFL level.

If we don't go Floyd in the first round, if Broyles is there in the 5th I think we should go for it.

:D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your post is just a wee bit melodramatic, don't cha think, Jeff?
No.

Where's the melodrama in pointing out the "math"; that when - in a lean year with lots of needs - any pick where the investment can't begin to pay off in Year One is one less pick we can use to immeidately help the club?

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No.

Where's the melodrama in pointing out the "math"; that when - in a lean year with lots of needs - any pick where the investment can't begin to pay off in Year One is one less pick we can use to immeidately help the club?

We didn't have less need when we picked up Schofield knowing there'd be minimum production in year one.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't have less need when we picked up Schofield knowing there'd be minimum production in year one.
Listen. I've been a BPA man since before you were born. But I think it's fair to pose the following question:

"If we focus on drafting high value "future" picks, do we run the risk of ending up at the end of the draft without a T, WR, OLB, S or ILB who can step in and help us right away?

I get our drafting high value guys like R Williams and Scofield as value picks. I'm just saying that, this year, we have more gaping roster holes (especially at OT) that might mean that - in the case of 2 closely rated players - we might opt for the short-term guy over a longer-term guy with a higher upside.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Listen. I've been a BPA man since before you were born. But I think it's fair to pose the following question:

"If we focus on drafting high value "future" picks, do we run the risk of ending up at the end of the draft without a T, WR, OLB, S or ILB who can step in and help us right away?

I get our drafting high value guys like R Williams and Scofield as value picks. I'm just saying that, this year, we have more gaping roster holes (especially at OT) that might mean that - in the case of 2 closely rated players - we might opt for the short-term guy over a longer-term guy with a higher upside.

Thats if you feel that a 5th round OT will put us over the top. You always go BPA. Besides who says he won't give us return this year. Torn ACLs injuries aren't what they used to be, or at least the treatment for them isn't. I fully expect to target at least one tackle or guard in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th, and then developmental one later. I'd be all for drafting Broyles in the 5th (even 3rd or 4th if his knee checks out).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I understand what you are saying but if you are looking for guys to fill immediate holes in the 4th or 5th round you're already in trouble. I'm thinking right now that the guys drafted after round 3 by Arizona are going to have a hard time just making the final 53. So why not take a flyer on a guy like Broyles. Heck we only have one player, Greg Toler, still on the team that was drafted after the 3rd round more than 2 years back. 1st and 3rd round I'm with you.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'd have to go along with this 'gaping' roster hole premise to begin with, and I don't beyond O-line. So, I fully expect that in either round one or three we will select a player who'll be expected to immediately contribute on the line.

A year one wideout, with notable exceptions, is a futures pick and same can be said for OLB and Safety. If Haggans comes back, we are no worse off at LB and I'd expect that Bradley will be taking quite a few snaps at SOLB. And I can't see the Adrian Wilson of the future in this draft unless we pick Barron at #13.

All this written to say that BPA or BPA at position of need in either round one or three will hopefully answer the one true dire need - O-line. Beyond this consideration, BPA remains the best way to go, and expect it will be the approach.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd have to go along with this 'gaping' roster hole premise to begin with, and I don't beyond O-line. So, I fully expect that in either round one or three we will select a player who'll be expected to immediately contribute on the line.

A year one wideout, with notable exceptions, is a futures pick and same can be said for OLB and Safety. If Haggans comes back, we are no worse off at LB and I'd expect that Bradley will be taking quite a few snaps at SOLB. And I can't see the Adrian Wilson of the future in this draft unless we pick Barron at #13.

All this written to say that BPA or BPA at position of need in either round one or three will hopefully answer the one true dire need - O-line. Beyond this consideration, BPA remains the best way to go, and expect it will be the approach.
I by & large agree - although I'd add a #2 WR to OT as a gaping roster hole. Like you, I'm hoping and half-expecting us to address both issues somewhere in the draft, but don't share your confidence that this is a 100% lock to happen.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In the 4th or 5th Id be all over Omar Bolden if hes still available.

Steal of the draft IMO. Pre-injury he was the 4th best CB in last years draft. Dudes a carbon copy of Marshall. Small, physical, quick, instinctive, 3rd down shut down slot guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn