Rules on cameras in stadium?

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I know that when the stadium first opened, someone posted a link to the rules that said no "professional" camera equipment was allowed. Now that there is nearly two years worth of games there, is there a pattern of what they are letting in and what they aren't?

I'm planning on going to my first game at the new stadium in December and want to know what equipment I can bring in.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Go to the cards site and look under stadium. If I remember correctly, somewhere on there is a description of what you can/can't bring to the game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I found the rules in the back of a game program: Videocameras, mono/tripods and professional cameras with zoom lenses greater than 200m or larger than 6" in length are not permitted into the stadium.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
From the site: "Cameras with professional photo lenses (larger than 6 inches)"

Curiously, they also say you can't bring in video capable cellular phones. Show of hands here, how many of you now realize your phone is illegal?

When I saw the fan holding his second copy of the "LEINART" vanity plate, I thought I might try to bring my second copy of the "CRDINLS" vanity plate. I had always assumed they would never allow a metal plate in the place.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the site: "Cameras with professional photo lenses (larger than 6 inches)"

Curiously, they also say you can't bring in video capable cellular phones. Show of hands here, how many of you now realize your phone is illegal?

When I saw the fan holding his second copy of the "LEINART" vanity plate, I thought I might try to bring my second copy of the "CRDINLS" vanity plate. I had always assumed they would never allow a metal plate in the place.

This would be a great idea, as it would eliminate 95% of the Cowboy fans if they had to remove the metal plates in their heads before going into a game. :thumbup:

JTS

OP
OP
gusmahler

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I found the rules in the back of a game program: Videocameras, mono/tripods and professional cameras with zoom lenses greater than 200m or larger than 6" in length are not permitted into the stadium.
Thanks.

Does anyone know if they actually search you for this when you enter the stadium?

And that also sets up an interesting loophole. Most pro NFL photographers don't actually use zoom lenses. They use fixed focal length lenses that are 400 or 600mm. Since they aren't zoom lenses, then technically all of these lenses would be allowed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, it says "professional" cameras with zoom lenses. Canon doesn't consider any model of theirs to be "professional" except the 1 series--e.g., you can't join the Canon Professional Services unless you own a 1 series camera.

Last edited:

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Does anyone know if they actually search you for this when you enter the stadium?

And that also sets up an interesting loophole. Most pro NFL photographers don't actually use zoom lenses. They use fixed focal length lenses that are 400 or 600mm. Since they aren't zoom lenses, then technically all of these lenses would be allowed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, it says "professional" cameras with zoom lenses. Canon doesn't consider any model of theirs to be "professional" except the 1 series--e.g., you can't join the Canon Professional Services unless you own a 1 series camera.
My eyes must be broken. Those are 6" long or less?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The primary rule is cameras must be pointed at the game, not at the coach on the other team giving offensive or defensive signals. This is known as the Patriot rule.

Reaction score
Thanks.

Depends upon the security person doing the search/pat-down. Some will check, some won't.

The question you have to ask yourself is:

"Is it worth the long walk back to the car, and possibly missing the start of the game, if I get rejected?"

OP
OP
gusmahler

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
My eyes must be broken. Those are 6" long or less?

No. The smallest lens in the picture is 10" long. The longest is 19". However, they aren't zoom lenses. The ban, as it is worded, only applies to zoom lenses, which have a specific meaning in the world of cameras (a lens that can adjust from one focal length to another).

It was just a joke because, although those lenses were clearly intended to be banned, the specific wording of the ban doesn't cover them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92