Round One Conundrums

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Just look at the Packers and the constant success they have had with second round receivers. The Seahawks have found good ones later.

A guy to gamble on if you don't get one in round one would be Xavier Legette. He was a late bloomer, but his tape was as impressive as anyone in college football last year and he's 230 pounds.
You cite the packers who have had 20 years of hall of fame QB play.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Read this whole exchange. I made a one sentence answer alluding to the concept that taking a OT is sometimes the smarter path and you were instantly a jerk about it, saying "lol so better" and then "keep up". So I responded in kind and then you try and pin this on me when you were the dick first.
Like last week, when you did the same to me? Gotcha. I was highlighting that and made my point well, then.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, getting to the Super Bowl largely on the back of the Burrow/Chase combo was totally not worth the choice lol

C'mon man, this is a bad take. Taking Chase has clearly worked out well for them and it's highly arguable they would have gotten anywhere near as far as they did without him.
Bengals fan here. Detroit has Sewell and Amon-Ra St. Brown who was a 4th round pick. I know Chase is the best player of the trio in a vacuum, but if I could have an Elite tackle and a solid slot/hybrid receiver to complement Tee Higgins…something to consider lol.

Stout

Reaction score
Bengals fan here. Detroit has Sewell and Amon-Ra St. Brown who was a 4th round pick. I know Chase is the best player of the trio in a vacuum, but if I could have an Elite tackle and a solid slot/hybrid receiver to complement Tee Higgins…something to consider lol.
And there's absolutely nothing to say if they took Sewell they would also have St. Brown. That's why it's a really bad argument.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Most of us have spent years torching the organization and its neglect of the trenches.

I’ll be stoked if we get MHJ but I’ll be pretty happy with either Alt or Fashanu as well. The silver lining is that there is depth at both positions in this draft.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

How you guys feeling about giving Glass Joe that fat contract? Not so good?

full disclosure, apparently I'm the only person on the planet who dislikes Burrow, and thinks he's just the teeny tiniest bit overrated. Just a the smallest amount. Like a planck's width. Maybe two.

Stout

Reaction score
Most of us have spent years torching the organization and its neglect of the trenches.

I’ll be stoked if we get MHJ but I’ll be pretty happy with either Alt or Fashanu as well. The silver lining is that there is depth at both positions in this draft.
Who is playing WR for the team, though?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And there's absolutely nothing to say if they took Sewell they would also have St. Brown. That's why it's a really bad argument.
That's not the argument. Maybe you don't understand.

The point is that WRs can be found later, after round one. There are plenty of really good round two WRa. The same can't be said about OT though.

The Cardinals probably aren't finding an All Pro OT after round one in this draft, but there is a much better chance that one of the round two or three WRs becomes one.

Stout

Reaction score
That's not the argument. Maybe you don't understand.

The point is that WRs can be found later, after round one. There are plenty of really good round two WRa. The same can't be said about OT though.

The Cardinals probably aren't finding an All Pro OT after round one in this draft, but there is a much better chance that one of the round two or three WRs becomes one.
Right, I don't agree with you changing the argument and with your assertion, so it's my fault because I don't understand. Gotcha.

Absolutely you can find WRs later, probably easier than starting LT, though certainly not all OTs. WR1s, I would definitely argue about, because true top-end WR talent is also difficult to find later. It can be done, like with starting LT, but it is difficult.

The point, which you may not understand, was a simple comparison you tried to change. The topic was Sewell v Chase. The point was simple. You wanted to change the topic and thus an argument occurred.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right, I don't agree with you changing the argument and with your assertion, so it's my fault because I don't understand. Gotcha.
I've never changed the argument.
Absolutely you can find WRs later, probably easier than starting LT, though certainly not all OTs. WR1s, I would definitely argue about, because true top-end WR talent is also difficult to find later. It can be done, like with starting LT, but it is difficult.

Of the top five NFL receiving yards leaders in 2023, how many were first round picks? One.
The point, which you may not understand, was a simple comparison you tried to change. The topic was Sewell v Chase. The point was simple. You wanted to change the topic and thus an argument occurred.
I never changed it dog. There is opportunity cost in using a high pick on a receiver, which is why their sizable community of draftniks who follow the "never draft a receiver in round one". That was the initial point of the post.

You're not finding a Penei Sewell after round one, but you can find a First Team All Pro receiver later. In fact Tyreek Hill, Puka Nacua, AND St. Brown were all day three picks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You led off a direct quote reply to my post with an insult and followed up with something like, "When you make a stupid argument, that's what you get." I shall refer you back to sayings about geese and ganders, sir :)
I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't keep scores on who has "slighted" me.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who is playing WR for the team, though?
I would imagine MO would find some guys to play WR for this team if they don’t or can’t draft MHJ at #4.

Let’s move away from the draft a moment and take a look at another way to add players. Looking at free agency, who are the best available players at the WR and OT spot? Which group is stronger? If I’m looking to add a WR and a LT or RT what are my options? Am I better off filling those needs in FA or draft?

As a rebuilding team there are so many variables at this point. We need both and I pray we get elite players at both positions however they are acquired.

Stout

Reaction score
I've never changed the argument.

Of the top five NFL receiving yards leaders in 2023, how many were first round picks? One.

I never changed it dog. There is opportunity cost in using a high pick on a receiver, which is why their sizable community of draftniks who follow the "never draft a receiver in round one". That was the initial point of the post.

You're not finding a Penei Sewell after round one, but you can find a First Team All Pro receiver later. In fact Tyreek Hill, Puka Nacua, AND St. Brown were all day three picks.
Sure you did. Everyone was discussing Sewell v Chase. That's it. Then you came along with, "Well, aksually..." with combinations of players. We were comparing 1st round choices, nothing more.

Stout

Reaction score
I would imagine MO would find some guys to play WR for this team if they don’t or can’t draft MHJ at #4.

Let’s move away from the draft a moment and take a look at another way to add players. Looking at free agency, who are the best available players at the WR and OT spot? Which group is stronger? If I’m looking to add a WR and a LT or RT what are my options? Am I better off filling those needs in FA or draft?

As a rebuilding team there are so many variables at this point. We need both and I pray we get elite players at both positions however they are acquired.
The board has gone over it ad nauseum and consensus seems to be against there being good options in FA. If Monti does go that way, it will be hugely expensive. If he goes into the draft without signing any and then doesn't draft top talent, there's no one left to fill so large a gap.

Stout

Reaction score
I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't keep scores on who has "slighted" me.
Just can't help yourself with the veiled digs. It's okay. It's your style, a style you don't like others tossing back at you. It's okay. I accept you as you are and accept it won't change :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The board has gone over it ad nauseum and consensus seems to be against there being good options in FA. If Monti does go that way, it will be hugely expensive. If he goes into the draft without signing any and then doesn't draft top talent, there's no one left to fill so large a gap.
This can't be stated strongly enough. There's enough talent out there to plug the hole at RT if we move PJJ. There's not enough talent out there to make this offense function without paying a buttload of money to Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was last year. I think they are some good players that can be acquired this FA, and it is right time to do so.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure you did. Everyone was discussing Sewell v Chase. That's it. Then you came along with, "Well, aksually..." with combinations of players. We were comparing 1st round choices, nothing more.
Now you continue to be insulting. Par for the course.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This can't be stated strongly enough. There's enough talent out there to plug the hole at RT if we move PJJ. There's not enough talent out there to make this offense function without paying a buttload of money to Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman.
The offense ran just fine without those guys once Kyler came back. Top 10 in the NFL if I remember correctly. And yes I know , they did it with the same oline as well.

If the consensus of the board is that there are better options in FA to play tackle than wr then so be it. I do not share that opinion. I am of the opinion that MO needs to add to both positions in FA and in the draft.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How you guys feeling about giving Glass Joe that fat contract? Not so good?

full disclosure, apparently I'm the only person on the planet who dislikes Burrow, and thinks he's just the teeny tiniest bit overrated. Just a the smallest amount. Like a planck's width. Maybe two.
I don’t mind the contract for Joe. My issue is our playcalling. We don’t seem to scheme Ja’Marr and Tee open, it’s a lot of contested catches.

Also, I wish we’d go under center more to setup play action. Joe is a top 5 QB and he can certainly be dynamic. He’s definitely gotta stay healthy and our offensive line is still meh.

Personally I think we need to trade Tee. If Bowers is there at 18 I’d want him. If we trade down I’d say we go offensive line and get the kid from Oregon State Fuaga. I like his style and he’d be able to play RT.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The offense ran just fine without those guys once Kyler came back. Top 10 in the NFL if I remember correctly. And yes I know , they did it with the same oline as well.

If the consensus of the board is that there are better options in FA to play tackle than wr then so be it. I do not share that opinion. I am of the opinion that MO needs to add to both positions in FA and in the draft.
Not better options per se, but a better allocation of resources. And I'm really unsure how you can be fine with the offense we put out there in the final stretch with Kyler. Plenty of games where we barely managed production, or if we did, it was in absolute garbage time after being blown out.

I used to be pretty critical of Kyler for seemingly needing top weapons to succeed, but throwing him out there with just Michael Wilson, Greg Dortch, and Rondale Moore is criminal to him. (Yes, I know we have McBride.)

Are you suggesting we go after Pittman/Higgins then? Or that we just cross our fingers that someone in the 2nd is good enough to be our #1 wideout all year?