Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars: Boba Fett (2016) - unconfirmed

A rumored Star Wars movie centering on the early years of iconic bounty hunter Boba Fett. The movie would either take place between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back or Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

:grabs:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Now this is a spinoff I could get behind! Just do a Star Wars: Bounty Hunters story. That could provide fodder for endless sequels.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-spinoff-hires-godzilla-706636

Fresh off the success of Godzilla, filmmaker Gareth Edwards has lined up his next project, something set in a galaxy far, far away.

Edwards is attached to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing the script for the movie, which has a release date set for December 16, 2016, said Disney and Lucasfilm in a statement later posted on the official Star Wars website.

Due to the high level of secrecy surrounding the Star Wars development process, it is unclear which spinoff Edwards will tackle.

Speculation has focused on characters such as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi master Yoda as those who might be getting their own movies. There are also rumors of a potential Han Solo origin story or at least something on the Solo clan, and untold adventures of Luke Skywalker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, at least they got a solid director behind this.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Star Wars' Stand-alone Movie Hiring Oscar-Nominated Writer

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-stand-alone-movie-767320

The Star Wars stand-alone movie that Gareth Edwards will direct has found a new writer.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the latest scribe headed to a galaxy far, far away is Chris Weitz, whose credits include the 2002 film About A Boy and Disney's upcoming Cinderella.

He will replace Gary Whitta, who exited the Lucasfilm/Disney project earlier this month after he completed a first draft.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one character they need to get right. I mean it's one of the most beloved characters in the entire universe. I think people would love to see more about his race, what happened after the prequels and basically him kicking some butt.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing that Michael Fassbender is rumored for this role...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing that Michael Fassbender is rumored for this role...

That would be an excellent choice. I think besides having strong scripts going forward they need to continue to hire strong actors. Actually Lucas was a mixed bagged. He hired real actors with strong acting chops but would turnaround and hire someone like Jake Lloyd.

Disney needs to take the same path they did with their Marvel casting.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
As much as I love Star Wars, Boba Fett does nothing for me.

To me Star Wars is about force users, otherwise it is no different than any other sci Fi universe.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this. I do like Boba Fett, but what will it be about, him just being a bounty hunter? Would have to see previews to get behind it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Star Wars, Boba Fett does nothing for me.

To me Star Wars is about force users, otherwise it is no different than any other sci Fi universe.

He was dead to me when the figure arrived and his rocket didn't launch from his jet-pack as promised.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogue One Is The First Star Wars Stand-alone Film

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-...direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Academy Award-winning composer Alexandre Desplat will compose the score for Star Wars Rogue One. The composer just won his first Oscar for Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel, although he was also nominated this year for his work on The Imitation Game. His credits include Argo, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The King’s Speech, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Queen and Zero Dark Thirty.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-composer/

I'll be honest if it is a film about starfighter pilots like it is rumored to be I am not too excited.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Rogue and Wraith Squadron books are among the best in the old expanded universe. I am actually excited about this!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know this is selfish but I want John Williams so score every Star Wars film until they day he visits that fully operational battle station in the sky.

I get what you are saying and worry if anyone else can make the theme "Star Wars" enough--he has set a high bar. But I believe he will just be doing the episodic movies per his request. I can't imagine the time and effort it takes to create an original score all the time and can't blame him for wanting to take it easy.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and worry if anyone else can make the theme "Star Wars" enough--he has set a high bar. But I believe he will just be doing the episodic movies per his request. I can't imagine the time and effort it takes to create an original score all the time and can't blame him for wanting to take it easy.
I'd be surprised (and hope) if he's able to score the 3rd movie of this trilogy. He's the greatest modern day composer, but he's 83.

Got to see him and Spielberg at symphony hall last year. That was quite a treat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson