Robert Nkemdiche aka "The Inactive One"

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you didn't even want Kirk? I won't argue that DT and OL are huge needs (DE doesn't even come close, and you're REALLY forgetting ILBer as a huge need), but you wanted Fitz and no other NFL quality receivers? Rooting for us to lose, then? Do you simply feel WR isn't an offensive impact position or something? Do you remember the old days when we didn't have any WRs?
Kind of confused at the 2nd sentence. Are you saying DE isn’t as huge of need compared to WR or compared to DT/OL?

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worst case -

Praise him, praise him and praise him some more - maximize his value & then trade him.

Hopefully there will be a more optimistic outcome where he'll turn out to be stellar.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not really. Dan Marino needed more of a supporting cast and didn't win a SB because of it. You can't throw garbage/nobody players out there all the time and expect to win championships...unless you're Tom Brady lol
Drew Brees, A-Rodg and others have had very few high round draft pick receivers. Yeah, it’s cool to have a first-round receiver, but there are other positions in which depth is more important.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do somewhat disagree with Chop about the lack of selecting a receiving option in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, though.

You don’t need playmakers everywhere, but you just can’t run out there with JAGs.

Can you remember the last time a team won a SB that didn’t feature a WR/TE drafted in the 2nd round?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So you didn't even want Kirk? I won't argue that DT and OL are huge needs (DE doesn't even come close, and you're REALLY forgetting ILBer as a huge need), but you wanted Fitz and no other NFL quality receivers? Rooting for us to lose, then? Do you simply feel WR isn't an offensive impact position or something? Bo you remember the old days when we didn't have any WRs?

How old are you talking? It's been at least 20 years in my count since we lacked a Top 15 receiver.

As TJ kind of infers, it's cool as hell to have A.J. Green, but where has it taken the Bengals? On the other hand, the Vikes were awesome with two guys in Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I do somewhat disagree with Chop about the lack of selecting a receiving option in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, though.

You don’t need playmakers everywhere, but you just can’t run out there with JAGs.

Can you remember the last time a team won a SB that didn’t feature a WR/TE drafted in the 2nd round?

Won a Super Bowl? You're bascially just talking about a couple of teams in the last 20 years. The Jags, Chiefs, and Titans did pretty well last season without high draft picks in featured receiver roles.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Won a Super Bowl? You're bascially just talking about a couple of teams in the last 20 years. The Jags, Chiefs, and Titans did pretty well last season without high draft picks in featured receiver roles.
The Chiefs? Ehhhh. I’m on the fence about that one. Kelce was an early 3rd rounder, so I guess that’s not that high.

Jags loaded up their defense. Fair point.

Titans leaned on their OL & run game. I don’t know how they managed to do well outside of that. However, that’s also fair.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not as big as DT/OL/WR/ILBer

really? We have Chandler Jones and a bunch of guys who aren’t good enough to start for the 31 other teams. Markus Golden is injured and a free agent next year.

DE might be our worst group after TE.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitzgerald
Megatron
Andre Johnson
T.O
Moss
A.J Green
Julio Jones

The best WR of this generation all certian hall of famers. How many rings do these guys have combined? The answer is 0. WR is a secondary position. Nice to have but you don't need a star WR to win. WR is highly overrated.

QB, Protect the QB, Rush the QB. Those are the most important parts of a team.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I have heard a few media guys state with this kind of offense being run by McCoy, that it really does not need your traditional stud WR to function and it's more about the accuracy of the QB on short and intermediate routes making the WRs look better than they are. I think this team will have to draft another WR (if Fitz retires) but I like what I have seen from Kirk and Williams so far, albeit preseason... what does your football mind have to say K9 towards this particular offense and the WR prerequisite

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Fitzgerald
Megatron
Andre Johnson
T.O
Moss
A.J Green
Julio Jones

The best WR of this generation all certian hall of famers. How many rings do these guys have combined? The answer is 0. WR is a secondary position. Nice to have but you don't need a star WR to win. WR is highly overrated.

Of course Santonio Holmes having a SB MVP is the most Cardinal thing ever.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Fitzgerald
Megatron
Andre Johnson
T.O
Moss
A.J Green
Julio Jones

You don't need a star. On the other hand, you need actual NFL WRs, not CFL-caliber WRs. We hope Kirk works out. Fitz is nearing the end. And that's about it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't need a star. On the other hand, you need actual NFL WRs, not CFL-caliber WRs. We hope Kirk works out. Fitz is nearing the end. And that's about it.

Pretty much. You need guys with good hands and that you can count on to show up.

It's a position you can save a lot of money on

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Kirk will be an OK player, I just wouldn't have made that pick. There is just too much of a glut of WR options every off-season for me to value it more with an uncertain QB situation. Also, Kirk is a wasted pick if Fitz doesn't retire.

I just believe in protecting my QB and pressuring the opposing QB before spending 1st and 2nd round picks on RBs and WRs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kirk will be an OK player, I just wouldn't have made that pick. There is just too much of a glut of WR options every off-season for me to value it more with an uncertain QB situation. Also, Kirk is a wasted pick if Fitz doesn't retire.

I just believe in protecting my QB and pressuring the opposing QB before spending 1st and 2nd round picks on RBs and WRs.

How?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

That's more than fair (although the Kirk statement is pretty damn silly). It doesn't mean the WR position isn't a gaping hole in the roster and a huge need; it means you prefer filling that need later in the draft/in FA. Fair play to you.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Kirk will never play over Fitz in the slot, and Kirk hasn't seemed capable of playing outside.

Are we certain wilks and mccoy are going to keep Larry in the slot? That was a BA thing...they may move him back outside

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Are we certain wilks and mccoy are going to keep Larry in the slot? That was a BA thing...they may move him back outside
Larry is not a top end outside WR. When we run 3 wr sets, he needs to be inside to be successful

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Larry is not a top end outside WR. When we run 3 wr sets, he needs to be inside to be successful

No he doesn't, what a missconception ...

Fitz route running is the best in the league and he has the best hands in the NFL (and that since ever). He can stil catch contested balls and comes down with 50/50 balls more times than not.

So any 1on1 on the outside against a CB that isn't called PP21/Sherman/Howard/Ramsey/
Bouye Fitz wins more times than not and even they would have problems with him. So yes, Fitz will not go deep very often, expect against a zone D but I expect, he will used as #1 WR all day long and in McCoys offense, going deep isn't a main.

Back to topic, I hope Nkemdiche can at least play football this season, if not good atleast enough snaps to let others get some needed rest. I hope he can play better than that but, he looks like a bust for now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No he doesn't, what a missconception ...

Fitz route running is the best in the league and he has the best hands in the NFL (and that since ever). He can stil catch contested balls and comes down with 50/50 balls more times than not.

So any 1on1 on the outside against a CB that isn't called PP21/Sherman/Howard/Ramsey/
Bouye Fitz wins more times than not and even they would have problems with him. So yes, Fitz will not go deep very often, expect against a zone D but I expect, he will used as #1 WR all day long and in McCoys offense, going deep isn't a main.

Back to topic, I hope Nkemdiche can at least play football this season, if not good atleast enough snaps to let others get some needed rest. I hope he can play better than that but, he looks like a bust for now.

This is false:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-slot-vs-wide-wide-receivers

Fitz was slightly above-average from the slot last season, and he was way below average from the outside. He had 122 targets from the slot and just 32 from the outside.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson