Recruiting

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No call out for Antonio Pierce. :?

If you click on the image there is a mention of coach Pierce. There are some comments at the bottom.

I'm not sure why they don't show up otherwise.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preferred Walk ON, DB Cruz Rushing chooses ASU.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He doesn't even come up on Rivals. 24/7 has no score for him. No colleges had interest in him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's embarrassing how neither of the Arizona schools can keep top in-state talent from going out of state.
To be fair some of these kids get over ranked and big schools take them and they don't live up to the hype. Some have even come home. But to you're point, they see the mess here at ASU & UA and figure schools out of state are a much better option. The funny thing is UA did a hell of a job recruiting this year but couldn't land one of the Big 3 ARZ QB transfers (Rattler went to South Carolina, Jim Miller went to Florida and Kedon Slovis went to Pittsburgh).

DesertDevil

Reaction score
To be fair some of these kids get over ranked and big schools take them and they don't live up to the hype. Some have even come home. But to you're point, they see the mess here at ASU & UA and figure schools out of state are a much better option. The funny thing is UA did a hell of a job recruiting this year but couldn't land one of the Big 3 ARZ QB transfers (Rattler went to South Carolina, Jim Miller went to Florida and Kedon Slovis went to Pittsburgh).
Quite a turnaround for UA indeed going from second worst to second best recruiting class.

Yeah I mean to be honest, if I was a 4/5 star recruit right now, I wouldn't consider any of the Arizona schools either.

I moved to Iowa about 4 years ago and it's a different atmosphere here with the kids growing up and dreaming of playing for the home schools. Yeah there are some that go out of state, but they're able to keep the majority of their talent here and develop a good amount of them into solid college and eventual NFL-caliber players. It's refreshing to see.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quite a turnaround for UA indeed going from second worst to second best recruiting class.

Yeah I mean to be honest, if I was a 4/5 star recruit right now, I wouldn't consider any of the Arizona schools either.

I moved to Iowa about 4 years ago and it's a different atmosphere here with the kids growing up and dreaming of playing for the home schools. Yeah there are some that go out of state, but they're able to keep the majority of their talent here and develop a good amount of them into solid college and eventual NFL-caliber players. It's refreshing to see.
I think the level of recruiting at AZ high schools have changed as well. With powerhouse schools like Saguaro, Hamilton, Chandler & Chaparral becoming nationally known, opportunities to go to blue blood schools like OSU, ALA, ND, etc are presented to these kids. ASU & UA used to be able to keep kids in state because there was no recruiting services to get these kid's names out there so they remained local but not any more.

Herm is not going to return after his contract is up so ASU might suffer with recruits until that situation is resolved.

Fisch needs to have a really good year next year in order to get recruits attention. As bad as UA has been I think they are ahead of ASU in terms of recruit interest right now.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Good on Iowa.

Not sure how to explain it but Arizona is a bit unique in some respects. I grew up there, went to a lot of ASU games, went to MCC, ended up going to ASU for undergrad, but I was really looking to get out of the Valley after high school. Call me a wimp, but I just had enough of the heat after 18 years of so of it. So there was a lot of appeal to just getting out of the State and seeing some green. If I realistically could have afforded to go to a good college out of State after high school, I would have done that in a heartbeat, even though I loved ASU and much about the Phoenix area. Of course, since I don't live there now, I really miss it, especially in the Fall/Winter.

So when people beat of up on the recruiting efforts in State by ASU/UofA, I just don't totally by into it. I think the effort has always been there. But local kids are interested in leaving the desert in my view.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arizona State football once had a proud football tradition with Frank Kush as head coach. The home grown players tended to stay home in those days.

Of course Arizona now has four major league professional sports franchises to compete with college teams.

Maybe it's easier to keep home grown players in less populated areas where college sports is the only game in town.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona State football once had a proud football tradition with Frank Kush as head coach. The home grown players tended to stay home in those days.

Of course Arizona now has four major league professional sports franchises to compete with college teams.

Maybe it's easier to keep home grown players in less populated areas where college sports is the only game in town.
It used to be there all watched ASU games because that was one of the only games on. Now they can watch any team. They get to see the game day traditions at these other schools and they are being pursued by them.

Let’s be honest and Fisher said as much recently: NIL has always been a thing it is just finally out in the open. I am betting many of these to kids who left the state got handfuls off money to do so.

Some of them just want a new experience as well. I am sure there are many other reasons why they leave.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be there all watched ASU games because that was one of the only games on. Now they can watch any team. They get to see the game day traditions at these other schools and they are being pursued by them.

Let’s be honest and Fisher said as much recently: NIL has always been a thing it is just finally out in the open. I am betting many of these to kids who left the state got handfuls off money to do so.

Some of them just want a new experience as well. I am sure there are many other reasons why they leave.

We agree. There is no one reason why players leave a program.

Too bad about the NCAA investigation. Herm was starting to build a name, brand, image right here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We agree. There is no one reason why players leave a program.

Too bad about the NCAA investigation. Herm was starting to build a name, brand, image right here.
He was? Was the brand Overhyped State University? Because the image was certainly undisciplined underachievers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was? Was the brand Overhyped State University? Because the image was certainly undisciplined underachievers.

I think ASU was trying to build a pro sports model which would have been a stepping stone into the future.

The mistake may not be the model but hiring the wrong person to implement it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The turnaround in recruiting at UA is no mystery... it's as simple as having alums who are willing to line the pockets of transfers and recruits. The same reason why the Texas schools shot to the top of the recruiting rankings this year. It's going to be the new world order in collegiate sports going forward - whomever's boosters are willing to pay the most are going to be getting the recruits.

ASU has been hamstrung by the self imposed recruiting limit this year. And also partially by having a lame duck coaching staff. They are starting way behind in the new paradigm.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU is hiring Aaron Fletcher, secondary coach from Missouri.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Turns out Herm may not be the recruiter we all think he is. The 4 star exodus continues with Geordon Porter & Leyonta Alexander leaving the program.

DesertDevil

Reaction score
Turns out Herm may not be the recruiter we all think he is. The 4 star exodus continues with Geordon Porter & Leyonta Alexander leaving the program.
Oh, he can recruit easy if he has the resources and no limitations. His regime can't develop those 4 stars he's been able to pull in or put them in positions to be successful especially the last two years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, he can recruit easy if he has the resources and no limitations. His regime can't develop those 4 stars he's been able to pull in or put them in positions to be successful especially the last two years.
What I'm saying is because he can't develop these kids they are moving on so ASU sees no impact from them before they go. So what's the point of getting these kids if they aren't helping ASU and leaving? Now ASU won't be getting any kids because Herm is gone after this upcoming season. To put it into prospective, there hasn't been a single 4 star kid Herm brought in that has made an impact as ASU and will be moving onto NFL. Jayden Daniels has regressed big time since his freshman year.

Edit - I may be wrong, was Harry a Edwards recruit?

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harry committed in late 2015.

Meanwhile, Arizona is evidently tearing it up on the recruiting trails, with a nationally rated class so far. :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely some good news at quarterback. Paul Tyson has three years of eligibility remaining.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose