Recruiting

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Staff is working their butts off with little to show for it. Definitely behind the 8 ball this year with so many newbies to the region. UCLA is KILLING us, but that was to be expected with Junior hiring a dream team recruiting staff for the region (which is all I asked for from a new coach).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its hard to say who ASU will end up with but really that is the case with a lot of schools as commits are flipping their committments at an alarming rate.

Even schools like ALA, OSU & LSU are getting burned. LSU lost the top rated QB to ND this week and that came out of nowhere. UCLA & UW will clean up in the next couple of weeks leading up to NSD, CAL just lost their lead recruiter to UW and now a couple of their commits are looking around.

If ASU ends up getting all the Poly kids to come to ASU then they have to feel good about themselves, if they actually keep Goodman & get Foster & Neal they have to feel great about themselves. But those are BIG IFS.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
This years recruiting class was expected to take a hit. When Erickson left, we had a top 25 recruiting class, and now it's down to ~50, according to scout.com. Goodman has re-opened his recruiting search, but with his brother already being here, I think he'll stay committed to ASU. Would be nice to get either Neal or Foster, but it seems unlikely that we'd be able to land both. Graham has been focusing a lot of attention on JC prospects as well, with several 4 star recruits taking recruiting trips here, so hopefully Graham can sell them on the 'new' program.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Foster is supposed to announce today, isn't he?

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
ASU QB Michael Eubank as well as walk on running back from Saguaro Danny Clark are both rumored to be in attendance. hopefully that bodes well for ASU.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not to mention you are hiring his high school coach.

With full disclosure obviously being that we are doing the same with Davonte Neal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's at 11:45 I think. It's being streamed on the FSNAZ website.

Thanks for the heads-up. I got a chance to watch it. :thumbup:

He seems like a nice young man. Hopefully Foster's decision will bolster ASU recruiting for those still on the fence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Young was a 4-star tweener recruit out of Auburn, WA, two years ago and was committed to Washington. Couldn't get his grades together so he went to JC. Now he's more of a LB than a safety. I've heard he'll be a rover back in the 3-3-5. He's bigger than his listed 220lbs.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Young was a 4-star tweener recruit out of Auburn, WA, two years ago and was committed to Washington. Couldn't get his grades together so he went to JC. Now he's more of a LB than a safety. I've heard he'll be a rover back in the 3-3-5. He's bigger than his listed 220lbs.

:bhiich:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's quite amusing how the average fan will spin a class rated in the 40's and 50's into one chock full of "hidden gems" and "under the radar" kids with a brand new coach while the same caliber of a recruiting class would've brought out the torches and pitchforks (no pun intended) under former coaching staffs.

And I don't mean this as a slight to ASU, same thing is happening with UA fans.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's quite amusing how the average fan will spin a class rated in the 40's and 50's into one chock full of "hidden gems" and "under the radar" kids with a brand new coach while the same caliber of a recruiting class would've brought out the torches and pitchforks (no pun intended) under former coaching staffs.

And I don't mean this as a slight to ASU, same thing is happening with UA fans.

Considering the disaster of last year's recruiting class and where it was headed after Erickson was fired, I'm OK with what ASU will end up with. The real test for this staff will be 2013.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Considering the disaster of last year's recruiting class and where it was headed after Erickson was fired, I'm OK with what ASU will end up with. The real test for this staff will be 2013.

This!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA hasn't had any issues despite upheaval.

I don't really follow football recruiting all that closely but it seems like UCLA is sort of capitalizing on issues at other schools.

The whole Lupoi situation at Cal is nuts, I really think we'll see new rules put into place because of that because it's appearing more and more clear that the guy was actively recruiting for UW, while still employed at Cal. I think the Pac 12 if not the NCAA is going to start looking at rules to prevent that.

I don't think UCLA did that mind you but this stuff of hiring away top recruiters from other schools that leads to all this commitment jumping is something I think we'll see cracked down on.

With a new coach it's inevitable they're going to go after assistants who have recruiting ties, what Sarkisian did is a bit harder to defend he basically bought himself a recruiting class by throwing money at 2 assistants.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really follow football recruiting all that closely but it seems like UCLA is sort of capitalizing on issues at other schools.

That and UCLA now has the best recruiting staff in the Pac-12.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Does anyone publish reviews of recruiting classes from, say, four or five years ago?

I'd be curious to compare ASU's classes, Graham's classes, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave