Recruiting

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of the transfers as announced by the players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely some goods new at quarterback. Paul Tyson has three years of eligibility remaining.

Looks like he has a big arm, highly recruited coming out of H.S. and must have benefited by being in Saban's program for 3 years.

Do you all think the intent is for him to compete for the starting job with JD, or just to wait a year? I am guessing he is not the runner JD is. Seems like if he was the starter, the offense would need to be tweeked a bit.

He will at least push JD knowing this guy is looking over his shoulder.

A positive development that could have some recruiting "coattails"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like he has a big arm, highly recruited coming out of H.S. and must have benefited by being in Saban's program for 3 years.

Do you all think the intent is for him to compete for the starting job with JD, or just to wait a year? I am guessing he is not the runner JD is. Seems like if he was the starter, the offense would need to be tweeked a bit.

He will at least push JD knowing this guy is looking over his shoulder.

A positive development that could have some recruiting "coattails"

I'm guessing the plan is for Paul Tyson to wait a season before taking over from Jayden Daniels. Of course things could change if Daniels falters at quarterback.

As you note, Tyson is a pro style quarterback and the roster will need to be tweaked.

I'm happy for any good news about the football program these days.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing the plan is for Paul Tyson to wait a season before taking over from Jayden Daniels. Of course things could change if Daniels falters at quarterback.

As you note, Tyson is a pro style quarterback and the roster will need to be tweaked.

I'm happy for any good news about the football program these days.

Some would argue that JD has already faultered this past season, but I agree. Best case scenario is that JD works hard over the offseason, puts in a solid year, then Tyson takes over the following year after becoming acclimated to the system.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils get a guard from San Diego State.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Former Miami defensive lineman Nesta Jade Silvera is enrolling at Arizona State, according to the Miami Herald’s Susan Miller Degnan. Spring semester classes began last week, but the former four-star recruit will start classes immediately.

Nesta Jade Silvera later made the decision official, announcing his transfer to Arizona State any decision to play for head coach Herm Edwards, rather than enter the 2022 NFL Draft or return to Miami for a fifth season. The top 100 player in the 2018 recruiting class initially chose the Hurricanes over Florida, Tennessee and others.

In his four years with the Hurricanes, Silvera had 105 tackles and 16 tackles for loss, including 5.5 this year. He was one of Miami’s starters during the 2021 season, which is why it is such a big loss for them and a big addition for Arizona State.

https://www.on3.com/college/miami-h...ilvera-enrolling-pac-12-school-arizona-state/

6' 2" 306, not too shabby https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...nesta-jade-silvera-miami-transfer/6582205001/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quarterback Ethan Long will enter the transfer portal. I wish him well. He never seemed to get an opportunity to play at ASU.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quarterback Ethan Long will enter the transfer portal. I wish him well. He never seemed to get an opportunity to play at ASU.

I think his fate was cast when Daniels won the starting QB job as a freshman. I think we had 3 highly touted freshman QB's coming in, all were very talented, Daniels, Long and _____ :bang: , and Daniels won out. The other guy jumped ship to find playing time somewhere else, but Long is such a solid dude, he stuck around and was a solid teammate, maybe hoping he would get a shot, but it never worked out. He really should have transferred out earlier, but I hope he finds a good college that needs him to play.

DesertDevil

Reaction score
I think his fate was cast when Daniels won the starting QB job as a freshman. I think we had 3 highly touted freshman QB's coming in, all were very talented, Daniels, Long and _____ :bang: , and Daniels won out. The other guy jumped ship to find playing time somewhere else, but Long is such a solid dude, he stuck around and was a solid teammate, maybe hoping he would get a shot, but it never worked out. He really should have transferred out earlier, but I hope he finds a good college that needs him to play.

This guy. Who might not even get a chance with the incoming transfer former Trojan and Desert Mountain HS QB Kedon Slovis coming in.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This guy. Who might not even get a chance with the incoming transfer former Trojan and Desert Mountain HS QB Kedon Slovis coming in.
Just goes to show how college is a dog eat dog world. I can't fault kids for entering portal when they get over-recruited and won't get a chance to see the field. My gripe is with top kids bolting for the blue blood schools which even furthers the gap of competition (granted UGA prevented ALA from another national title).

UGA is losing JT Daniels who was a Heisman hopeful at the beginning of the year but lost is job to Stetson Bennett.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU adds offensive lineman from Northern State.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's the guy, thanks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much info in the tweet, but looks like this is just an offer. 6 2 DB from Modesto Jr. College

Herm is hard at work man!

I was looking for more but I'm guessing it hasn't been announced yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU adds a defensive end out of Hawaii.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU also gets an offensive lineman from Penn State.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solid developments, the kid from Hawaii looks like a good speed rusher, can't complain about the Penn State lineman either.
N no n
Just goes to show how college is a dog eat dog world. I can't fault kids for entering portal when they get over-recruited and won't get a chance to see the field. My gripe is with top kids bolting for the blue blood schools which even furthers the gap of competition (granted UGA prevented ALA from another national title).

UGA is losing JT Daniels who was a Heisman hopeful at the beginning of the year but lost is job to Stetson Bennett.

Good read here on Ethan Long's decision, also a bit insightful on the whole portal situation and what happens when a team changes coaches or coordinators...

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this...

Sun Devil Football Names Brian Billick Offensive Analyst, Advisor To The Head Coach​

I think this is great news. To bring someone of his stature into a supporting role is pretty impressive and will be a big help to Zak Hill, who seemed to have the offense stuck at key times last year. As I understand it, the "analyst", like Marvin Lewis has been doing on the defensive side, will help the coordinator in analyzing the other team's tendencies, help strategize against it, and make adjustments during the game. Having his wealth of offensive football knowledge on the staff should provide a big boost.

For many of our games this year, I was very impressed with the halftime adjustments made by our defense and I think Marvin Lewis's imput has assisted with that. Of course, there were games, ie. Utah, where the defense failed in the 2nd half and I didn't really notice an improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson