Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bottom 3 players aren’t even on the team anymore & Quenton Nelson had an awful year just then. At an already low-value position.

Far from the best example & an actual example of why NOT to trade back.

Lol

Multi time All Pro and best Guard in the league just had a bad year is why you can't have serious discussion on this site. I mean jeez.

I'd trade back to 6 for the equivalent Nelson and Smith alone. That's like getting Skoronski and Avila.

The other 3 picks could have been Foley Fatukasi, Fred Warner and Deebo Samuel.

We had very different needs to the Colts and obviously wouldn't have drafted the same players.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you better off with
Option 1: Trey Lance (#3) Good comparison since it was the exact same pick.
Option 2: #12, 29, #94 and another 1st round pick. (3 1st rounders and a 3rd)

It isn't that you trade, it is what you do with the trade that counts.

The Dolphins turned those picks into Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall.
It’s a weird comparison because why would I be better off with Lance when us nor Miami at that time are/were in a situation to draft a QB?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a weird comparison because why would I be better off with Lance when us nor Miami at that time are/were in a situation to draft a QB?
Take out Trey Lance, since you are focused on that part of it and just replace it with #3 pick.

Option 1: (#3) Good comparison since it was the exact same pick.

The right answer is doing the best for your franchise going forward. Sometimes that is drafting at 3 and sometimes that is trading down.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because Graves screwed up in 2003 doesn't mean any trade down from the top of the draft will be a failure.
That's like saying I once got sunburn so I'm never going outside again.
Monti has plenty of experience so it's not like he is new to draft day.
There’s been many trade downs in the history of the NFL and people here like to live in the past… Lots of those trades have greatly benefit organizations in a big way there’s no right answer. That being said, I would take Anderson if he’s there unless the haul is massive.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Defeatist thinking. But not without reason, of course. But I can just as easily imagine him doing exactly that as not, because we have no framing to say he can't. Its not like they hired ME to be general manager. They hired a lifer football guy who's been planning for this day his entire career. I refuse to accept he cant nail it. Til proven otherwise, of course.
I feel it is realistic to believe that someone who has never done something may have some struggles the first time they do it. That is having realistic expectations. Because of that, I think he should just put the #3 pick down the fairway instead of trying to hit a hole in one on his first drive.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Defeatist thinking. But not without reason, of course. But I can just as easily imagine him doing exactly that as not, because we have no framing to say he can't. Its not like they hired ME to be general manager. They hired a lifer football guy who's been planning for this day his entire career. I refuse to accept he cant nail it. Til proven otherwise, of course.
Well said. Particularly your point in the last three sentences. A well thought of lifer who has spent the greatest part of his career with the Pats, who really wanted him to stay. His career has been spent evaluating talent. Will he make errors...of course, but I think on the whole this guy will have a fine batting average.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can argue I would rather have Micah Parsons (the best pass rusher in that draft)

Sure you could, and it would be valid. Do you think the Dolphins would be as good as they are with Micah Parsons vs Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall? I'd argue no.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All the people lamenting the 2003 disaster are perfect examples of why the Cards would have been better of if Jimmy Johnson hadn’t created a draft value chart. That trade looked great on the chart. Here’s why it failed. You have to assess the player pool correctly. In that draft there was a huge fall off after pick 15 (of course there are always surprises). The Cards acquired picks 17 & 18. That’s why the strategy works so much better in this draft. This is one of the deepest pools ever. Most experts see 20+ round ones certainties. Potential starters extend into round 3. Trying to characterize this pool as the same as 2003 is erroneous. Every draft is different and while studying history is a valuable exercise, assuming the future is merely an extension of the past, is a logical error. However, the risk of passing on someone like Anderson necessitates an overpayment well beyond the chart.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take out Trey Lance, since you are focused on that part of it and just replace it with #3 pick.

The right answer is doing the best for your franchise going forward. Sometimes that is drafting at 3 and sometimes that is trading down.
Would still rather have #3(Will).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Ooh… do we have a QB on a cheap rookie contract where we can surround him with more expensive veterans to speed his development?

Or do we have a top-of-the-market QB eating up significant cap space and need to focus on adding cost-controlled playmakers at premium positions?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh… do we have a QB on a cheap rookie contract where we can surround him with more expensive veterans to speed his development?

Or do we have a top-of-the-market QB eating up significant cap space and need to focus on adding cost-controlled playmakers at premium positions?
These are the types of questions that need to be considered when considering trading down. It isn't or shouldn't be cut and dry for a team with as many holes as the Cards.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Regarding Trey Lance, this is a hilarious interpretation Lynch's body language.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel it is realistic to believe that someone who has never done something may have some struggles the first time they do it. That is having realistic expectations. Because of that, I think he should just put the #3 pick down the fairway instead of trying to hit a hole in one on his first drive.

And I think both views are reasonable. But when you start your viewpoint with "imagine..." your sarcasm shines through, leading me to believe you think he cant do it. Im willing to let him try, though in reality, Id rather take Anderson at 3. I just dont harbor the same amount of disbelief as you, if the opposite scenario plays out.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
the more im thinking about this the more i think i want Wil Anderson now. lolol

I think its safe to say this team is going to need a good 1-2 seasons to get back on track, thats why i want the draft picks

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All the people lamenting the 2003 disaster are perfect examples of why the Cards would have been better of if Jimmy Johnson hadn’t created a draft value chart. That trade looked great on the chart. Here’s why it failed. You have to assess the player pool correctly. In that draft there was a huge fall off after pick 15 (of course there are always surprises). The Cards acquired picks 17 & 18. That’s why the strategy works so much better in this draft. This is one of the deepest pools ever. Most experts see 20+ round ones certainties. Potential starters extend into round 3. Trying to characterize this pool as the same as 2003 is erroneous. Every draft is different and while studying history is a valuable exercise, assuming the future is merely an extension of the past, is a logical error. However, the risk of passing on someone like Anderson necessitates an overpayment well beyond the chart.
Trying to characterize this pool as anything but a crap shoot is a gamble and a fool's errand. When the choice is a blue-chip prospect staring you in the face at a huge position of need at a premium position, or maybe the pool being good enough that you get some good players in a trade down, stick with the best bet. Stay put and make the easy choice.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the more im thinking about this the more i think i want Wil Anderson now. lolol

I think its safe to say this team is going to need a good 1-2 seasons to get back on track, thats why i want the draft picks

Yeah it's not an easy choice. Both sides have strong pros and cons.