Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Imagine thinking a 1st time GM is going to be able to hit on the picks he gets from this trade with a greater impact than Will Anderson at arguably the 2nd most important position in football.
i cant argue against that.

Lets just say I am glad the decision does not fall on me. LOL

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except we're not talking about a "maybe we can get a great player at #3." We're talking having about as close to a sure thing as you can get, and at a position of need, and at a position of high importance, and at a position that directly impacts your whole defense. At the second most important position on a football team.

Please, please let's not repeat 2003. PLEASE.

We shouldn't have to say it, but those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Believing things will turn out just like 2003 with a trade down is just silly. That is one example.

We aren't dealing with the same pool of players, we aren't dealing with the same team needs, and we aren't dealing with the same people making decisions on the draft picks.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just because Graves screwed up in 2003 doesn't mean any trade down from the top of the draft will be a failure.
That's like saying I once got sunburn so I'm never going outside again.
Monti has plenty of experience so it's not like he is new to draft day.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imagine thinking a 1st time GM is going to be able to hit on the picks he gets from this trade with a greater impact than Will Anderson at arguably the 2nd most important position in football.
I do not think pass rusher is the 2nd biggest need. Left Tackle is. I would argue number 1 CB and number one WR are also bigger needs, probably RT also.

With all that said, even you have to admit there is some package of picks that makes trading down worth while.

Just blanketly saying trading down for any price is unwise makes no sense to me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I do not think pass rusher is the 2nd biggest need. Left Tackle is. I would argue number 1 CB and number one WR are also bigger needs, probably RT also.

With all that said, even you have to admit there is some package of picks that makes trading down worth while.

Just blanketly saying trading down for any price is unwise makes no sense to me.
LT arguably is more important. #1 CB is not, in the current NFL, nor is RT and certainly not WR. I don't think a stud edge rusher can be quantified as less than the 3rd most important position on a roster.

I mean, if we got a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams haul, sure. Otherwise, no thanks.

Yes, it's a different pool of players, but it's the same situation. Here's the stud pass rusher staring us in the face. We could take the glaringly obvious pick, or we could go for lesser picks and hope they turn out and that quantity beats quality.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The “This team should trade down cause they have A LOT of holes” mantra always makes me laugh because people say that like we stop drafting players after the first round & this will also be the last NFL draft for the rest of eternity.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The “This team should trade down cause they have A LOT of holes” mantra always makes me laugh because people say that like we stop drafting players after the first round & this will also be the last NFL draft for the rest of eternity.
Paris Johnson might be really good.

If Anderson is Chase Young (healthy) and Johnson is Andrew Thomas thats not a bad trade off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jalen Carter arrest warrant changed the draft for us IMO. We now have to hope 2 teams go QB before us so we can get Anderson. So yes, it's far more likely that Anderson is gone and we look to move down, than it was a few days ago before the Carter news broke IMO.

I hope we somehow get Will but if we don't you probably HAVE to listen to trade offers. If Will is off the board, who are we picking at 3, the only guy in the draft IMO that fits us, at 3, is Carter and we're not taking him at 3 after that news.

You can reach for Skoronski or another OL but you could get one that might be just as good, several picks lower.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LT arguably is more important. #1 CB is not, in the current NFL, nor is RT and certainly not WR. I don't think a stud edge rusher can be quantified as less than the 3rd most important position on a roster.

I mean, if we got a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams haul, sure. Otherwise, no thanks.

Yes, it's a different pool of players, but it's the same situation. Here's the stud pass rusher staring us in the face. We could take the glaringly obvious pick, or we could go for lesser picks and hope they turn out and that quantity beats quality.
I am going by what makes teams winners in today's NFL not historical arguments.

Today you have to have a #1 receiving target or you are going nowhere - the chiefs didn't have a WR, but they have Kelce. You have to have a #1 CB to at least slow that guy down - and CB's are involved and impact virtually every play on defense. An edge rusher makes an impact on less than half their plays - and if they screw up it does not usually hurt the defense because most of the time someone can pick up their slack - whereas a #1 CB screwing up can easily cost you a TD.

Quantity can absolutely beat quality. It's the quality of the quantity that matters.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hey dont get me wrong, i'd love him on the cardinals and believe it would definitely help the team going forward to have a Myles Garrett type player to build the D around but it would be prudent to accrue picks given the current state of the roster.

Having a great player is nice but the whole time the Browns have had Garrett they have been bad to average. They made the playoffs one year in 6 years since drafting him.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Take Anderson if they’re at 3, if not all bets are off, trade down and get picks. 2023 is the year to reboot this team in prep for real growth in 2024

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paris Johnson might be really good.

If Anderson is Chase Young (healthy) and Johnson is Andrew Thomas thats not a bad trade off.
I don’t think Paris Johnson is anywhere close to Andrew Thomas as a prospect & there’s a reason Chase Young skipped out on the 3-cone/split drills…

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What difference has Garrett made to the Browns? What difference did CJ make to us? The league is full of great pass rushers on bad teams that achieve nothing.

It's reasonable to think drafting Anderson alone won't make us good. As much as I want Anderson.

I think both arguments have equal merit.

Stout

Reaction score
I am going by what makes teams winners in today's NFL not historical arguments.

Today you have to have a #1 receiving target or you are going nowhere - the chiefs didn't have a WR, but they have Kelce. You have to have a #1 CB to at least slow that guy down - and CB's are involved and impact virtually every play on defense. An edge rusher makes an impact on less than half their plays - and if they screw up it does not usually hurt the defense because most of the time someone can pick up their slack - whereas a #1 CB screwing up can easily cost you a TD.

Quantity can absolutely beat quality. It's the quality of the quantity that matters.
You're arguing that the passing game trumps all but then trying to devalue edge players. And edge players don't just make an impact rushing the passer--less than half their plays? That's grossly inaccurate. They don't play against the run? #1 CBs are important, but not as important as edge simply because the rules have lessened their impact. A shut down corner (not merely a #1) is extremely rare and not as valuable to a defense as an equivalent talent edge, IMO. You also argued against WR because it can be a WR or a TE, so WR isn't the end-all be-all. Your argument is that a top edge is, what, like 5th or so in importance? My retort is it is the most important position on defense and 2nd most on the team.

Stout

Reaction score
Having a great player is nice but the whole time the Browns have had Garrett they have been bad to average. They made the playoffs one year in 6 years since drafting him.
The Browns have had lousy coaching and lousy QB play. Ain't no amount of great edge play going to overcome that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Browns have had lousy coaching and lousy QB play. Ain't no amount of great edge play going to overcome that.

No amount of great Edge play will overcome a poor roster either. I see your point, it has merits, but surely you can see the merits of trading back too? Not every trade back is terrible.

What if we traded back and got Gonzalez as CB1? Or Skoronski at tackle? Maybe add a 3rd round pick while adding 2 future 1sts?

Gonzalez and Skoronski are both high floor players and we add 2 more top 32 picks in the future.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jalen Carter arrest warrant changed the draft for us IMO. We now have to hope 2 teams go QB before us so we can get Anderson. So yes, it's far more likely that Anderson is gone and we look to move down, than it was a few days ago before the Carter news broke IMO.

I hope we somehow get Will but if we don't you probably HAVE to listen to trade offers. If Will is off the board, who are we picking at 3, the only guy in the draft IMO that fits us, at 3, is Carter and we're not taking him at 3 after that news.

You can reach for Skoronski or another OL but you could get one that might be just as good, several picks lower.
I think the smart move is to trade down no matter who is on the board. There's always one or two elite pass rushers in every draft and it is likely that we will be in contention for them in next year's draft as well.

I'm with you in thinking the Carter arrest changed the draft. I was always a draft Carter/Anderson at 3 and let the chips fall. I have swung to the trade down and build for the future camp. thanks Jalen Carter...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the biggest concern for sure.
I think Seattle trades up to #1.

My two draft outlooks as of 3/3/2023. (on what I think will happen)

1. Bears trade with Seattle and they grab the QB of their choice.
2. Houston drafts Anderson.
3. Cards at 3 trade with Colts/Raiders and move down.

1. Bears trade with Seattle/Colts/Raiders and QB is taken #1.
2. Houston takes QB at 2.
3. Anderson is there and drafted by the Cards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Seattle trades up to #1.

My two draft outlooks as of 3/3/2023. (on what I think will happen)

1. Bears trade with Seattle and they grab the QB of their choice.
2. Houston drafts Anderson.
3. Cards at 3 trade with Colts/Raiders and move down.

1. Bears trade with Seattle/Colts/Raiders and QB is taken #1.
2. Houston takes QB at 2.
3. Anderson is there and drafted by the Cards.

Yeah so much to play out yet that all this talk is largely pointless. Draft position talk before FA is mostly pointless. Especially with so much QB movement potential.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Anderson is going to go #2 to the Bears. Why would they make any other trade then with Houston? Picks + the player they wanted anyway

The hitch in all this happens if the Texans trade for Trey Lance

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anderson is going to go #2 to the Bears. Why would they make any other trade then with Houston? Picks + the player they wanted anyway

The hitch in all this happens if the Texans trade for Trey Lance
Because they are in a bigger mess than us with their roster and need the picks. They can trade down twice in that scenario. Even we should do that if we were them.

No way Texans trade for Lance. Makes zero sense.