Raja Bell Suspended For Game 6...

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in year's past it has always been Marion on Kobe and I remember him doing a decent job.

The concern to me is more offensive. Bell seems to be the only Sun knocking down open jumpers. Eddie House and Barbosa are going to have to step up and his some shots for us to have a chance.

PS. I can't wait til Amare comes back and rapes Kwame... funny how that has an extra meaning for the Lakers, they know that term well.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
This might actually be a blessing, because if raja was there he would've incited the crowd and really juiced the lakers up. They may have a little emotional come down without him there to go after.
It was clear reading the quotes from odom they really wanted to go straight at him.
And that would have taken L.A. out of their game. Now they can just focus on winning.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
The Sports Network

5/3/2006 5:12:45 PM

PHOENIX (AP) - The NBA suspended Phoenix guard Raja Bell for one game on Wednesday for throwing Kobe Bryant to the floor in the fourth quarter of Tuesday night's playoff game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

That means the Suns will be without Bell, the principal defender against Bryant, for Game 6 Thursday night in Los Angeles.

Phoenix beat the Lakers 114-97 in Game 5 but Los Angeles still leads the best-of-seven series 3-2 and can eliminate the Suns with a victory. In a brief news release, the NBA said Bell was suspended for "excessive and unnecessary contact."

The suspension had yet to be announced when the Suns practised earlier Wednesday before leaving for Los Angeles. After the workout, Bell repeated that throwing Bryant down was wrong but explained what led to the foul and made clear his dislike for the Lacers' star.

"I have no respect for him," Bell said. "I think he's a pompous, arrogant individual."

Bell said he had been repeatedly hit in the face by Bryant during the game.

"I got a bruised cheek here and I can barely open my jaw on this side," he said, indicating the left side of his face, "and that didn't come from nowhere, and I felt like I'd had enough of that."

Bell said it went from a game to a personal insult.

"When I get hit in the face multiple times, you've stepped across the line with me," he said. "It's not basketball anymore. It was basketball for four games, then when he hit me in the face, that was the last straw last night. It still doesn't excuse me, but that's just the way I felt about it."

At the other end of the court just before Bell threw Bryant down, the Suns guard said he complained to referee Greg Willard about getting hit in the face, and Lakers coach Phil Jackson hollered out that Bell "deserved it," adding a profanity to emphasize the point.

That's why Bell pointed to the Lakers' bench yelling "That's your foul!" after he threw Bryant down.

Bell and Bryant received a double-technical in the second quarter. A few minutes after Bell was tossed, Bryant was thrown out of the game for his second technical for complaining about James Jones' hard foul on Kwame Brown.

The latest incident is part of a season-long series of expressions of mutual contempt between Bell and Bryant.

After Tuesday night's game, Bryant said he hoped Bell wouldn't be suspended but added that players can't afford to lose their temper in games.

"I'm not trying to go out there and elbow somebody, that's not the way I play," Bryant said. "If you get elbowed, you still have to keep your cool. I get elbowed all the time."

Bell called Bryant's comments "hypocritical."

Bell's teammate Steve Nash said the Lakers have got the best of the officiating in the series.

"We're playing a very heated battle and people on the outside are constantly telling guys that we've got to be more physical," said the point guard from Victoria. "It's tough, and he's faced a lot this series. He's done a great job on Kobe, and Kobe gets away with whatever he wants. That's kind of frustrating."

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Looks like it's time for Barbosa to shine. I hope those pictures on the milk cartons worked.

As I said earlier, the Suns will win anyway if they shoot 50%. And, if they get to the line because of this (like they did in game 5), the trade-off is more than fair.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
Sorry but you just got a 1 day ban for cursing. I would have made it 3 but you are a Cards fan so you get the benefit of the doubt 1 time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, this whole incident with Raja was set-up by a number of blown calls by the referees, especially in game 4, and the preferential treatment of Kobe and the rest of the Hollywood Lakers (especially Brown and Walton). Their players can make blatantly flagrant fouls and get away with it while the Suns must grin and bear it.

I don't condone Raja's foul anymore than what I condone Brown's non-call flagrant. However, if the referees are not going to call the game properly then the rules of the playground sooner or later prevail. This type of behavior occurs in playground sports when there is no referee to make a call... so it is up to the players to enforce the rules.

Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Yes, I'm tired of the Suns getting kicked around and the Laker players getting the celebrity treatment. Raja just welcomed Kobe back to the playground.

This suspension may cost the Suns the series but I'm really proud to see Raja send a personal message to Kobe and the Lakers. Raja is a good person that plays basketball hard. My only regret is that Raja could not have been more discreet with the foul and given Kobe an elbow to the head (like Kobe loves to do) while going for a loose ball. Such an act could have really caused more harm. I think the only reason Raja didn't is because he is not a cheap shot artist and he gave the foul clearly out of frustration because of the celebrity treatment Kobe gets with throwing his elbows.

Again, sometimes playground rules prevail. I don't like it, but I don't like the preferential treatment that Kobe and the rest of the Lakers get. I only wish Steve Nash could get some "star" treatment.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sly fly said:
There you go. Now, that's called contribution!

The pressure is placed squarely on LA's shoulders to close out PHX Thursday. If they don't, they have to come back to an extremely hostile environment with Raja providing a HUGE emotional return.

Why should PHX be scared of LA?
Exactly. Plus...Having Raja suspended is probably good because he would pump up the LA fans.

The sleeping giant has awaken!!!!!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really sad that I have to temporary ban someone every time I check this forum.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
It's really sad that I have to temporary ban someone every time I check this forum.

It's not me....is it???? :eek: :D

Djaughe

Reaction score
RedStorm said:
It's not me....is it???? :eek: :D

Its funny when Chris S. posts ...all the other posters scramble to another thread to give him space. :D

jibikao

Reaction score
hsandhu said:
This might actually be a blessing, because if raja was there he would've incited the crowd and really juiced the lakers up. They may have a little emotional come down without him there to go after.
It was clear reading the quotes from odom they really wanted to go straight at him.

My thoughts exactly. Laker wants a challenge and we are not giving them. They have to settle with no-Bell. Guess who is Kobe's next target? Barbosa?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jibikao said:
My thoughts exactly. Laker wants a challenge and we are not giving them. They have to settle with no-Bell. Guess who is Kobe's next target? Barbosa?

No way, I'd put Marion on him and continue with the doubles.

jibikao

Reaction score
KloD said:
No way, I'd put Marion on him and continue with the doubles.

I am fine with Marion on him. In fact, that's my first suggestion for adjustment after game 2. I like Marion on him because at least he has the size and long arms and if Kobe takes a long jumper, Marion will have the perfect opportunity to run for fast break.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Marion always used to guard Kobe when they first came into the league. He knows his game well enough, he is going to be our best bet.

Plus, it will get him off of Odom :)

jibikao

Reaction score
The good news about this suspension is that the game will probably be officiated more fair and we may see less physical contacts. Raja is just used to calm things down.