Quick Thoughts on 2024 Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The QB pool looks astonishingly better than expected. Although it was expected to be excellent at the top, the depth is looking impressive. If the draft were held today 5 or more QBs might go in round 1. Scouts are already saying young Closely following is the OT position. Again it’s looking like 5 or more first rounders. WR looks strong with Harrison looking the best in years. If the Cards have the first pick and don’t need Williams they should not make any trade that risks not getting Harrison. BTW, Maye figures to be a long time, quality NFL starter. That said, Williams is extraordinary. He’s Murray with more running strength and an even more powerful arm. There is no recent comparison. He’s a phenomenal athlete.

The DLs look better than last season with several quality Edges and this time 3-4 round one inside DLs.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We need to have our best draft ever to turn this team around. At least three pro bowlers. I’m happy to see that the 24 draft is strong at QB, WR and DL. Throw in a left guard and we might compete.
IOLs look fairly good, but only occasionally get to round 1. If the Tackle pool is good that’s typically a good sign for guards, since many were college tackles.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to have our best draft ever to turn this team around. At least three pro bowlers. I’m happy to see that the 24 draft is strong at QB, WR and DL. Throw in a left guard and we might compete.
The Cards may be very well in that position. Imagine a scenario where the Cards have both the 1st and 2nd picks, AND Kyler plays well the last 5-6 games.

The Cards can either trade BOTH picks getting at least 3 first round picks for each, and still grab MHJ, and the best 1 or even 2 of the remaining best skill players in the draft, using all of that draft capital and keep Kyler.

They draft one of Caleb/Maye and still get the 3 first round picks for the other pick they traded, and still draft MHJ, while trading Kyler because he now has more trade value.

There are a LOT of possibilities here.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The Cards may be very well in that position. Imagine a scenario where the Cards have both the 1st and 2nd picks, AND Kyler plays well the last 5-6 games.

The Cards can either trade BOTH picks getting at least 3 first round picks for each, and still grab MHJ, and the best 1 or even 2 of the remaining best skill players in the draft, using all of that draft capital and keep Kyler.

They draft one of Caleb/Maye and still get the 3 first round picks for the other pick they traded, and still draft MHJ, while trading Kyler because he now has more trade value.

There are a LOT of possibilities here.
I agree. If we have the first two picks the trade possibilities are endless since both Caleb and Drake are probably going one and two. It would be a better version of the Hershel Walker trade that made the Cowboys a powerhouse in the 90’s.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
IOLs look fairly good, but only occasionally get to round 1. If the Tackle pool is good that’s typically a good sign for guards, since many were college tackles.
I was hoping we would take a guard in the second round. We should have a high choice to get one. From what I saw against Washington LG should be a high priority.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. If we have the first two picks the trade possibilities are endless since both Caleb and Drake are probably going one and two. It would be a better version of the Hershel Walker trade that made the Cowboys a powerhouse in the 90’s.
3 first round picks, is better than the Hershel Walker trade, by a long way IMO. One first round pick, can acquire enough picks for the rest of the draft.

For example, I think you could trade one #10 overall draft pick, and get just about the rest of the draft for that in return even at the top of each round, probably more. (2 round 1st pick , 3rd round 1st pick, etc. all the way to the 7th round) That's how valuable one first round pick is, let alone 3.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any chance that the Jets would be interested in Kyler if he comes off the PUP after four games? Or are they holding out hope that AR comes back, next year?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 first round picks, is better than the Hershel Walker trade, by a long way IMO.
huh? The Herschel Walker trade was 3 First Round Picks, 3 2nd Round Picks and a 3rd round pick. How in the world are 3 first round picks better than 3 1sts/3 2nds and a 3rd round pick?
One first round pick, can acquire enough picks for the rest of the draft.

For example, I think you could trade one #10 overall draft pick, and get just about the rest of the draft for that in return even at the top of each round, probably more. (2 round 1st pick , 3rd round 1st pick, etc. all the way to the 7th round) That's how valuable one first round pick is, let alone 3.
You think the 10th pick in the draft can get someone else's ENTIRE draft back? Why... did Mike Ditka get a GM job in the league that I missed?!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh? The Herschel Walker trade was 3 First Round Picks, 3 2nd Round Picks and a 3rd round pick. How in the world are 3 first round picks better than 3 1sts/3 2nds and a 3rd round pick?
I didn't finish my thought, got distracted. When you include the fact that you still have the other two 1st round picks, and the scenario that I am mentioned, they are about equal, but I think it is worth more.
You think the 10th pick in the draft can get someone else's ENTIRE draft back? Why... did Mike Ditka get a GM job in the league that I missed?!
Yep. While the trade chart is a bit outdated, look at this.

#10 overall pick = 1300pts vs

Picks at the top of the rest of the rounds
#33 overall pick = 580
#65 overall pick = 265
#97 overall pick = 112
#129 overall pick = 43
#161 overall pick = 27
#193 overall pick = 14.2
Total:
1041 points

The remainder is close to the value of another #97 overall pick. If anything, I think the trend shows that the higher picks are worth even more than the trade chart.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why waste draft capital on a guard? That’s where FAs come into play. Get two young NFL ready guards and a seasoned Center. Solidify RT with draft and trade DJ?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why waste draft capital on a guard? That’s where FAs come into play. Get two young NFL ready guards and a seasoned Center. Solidly RT with draft and trade DJ?
Because we have tried that many times with mixed success?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times? We have rarely gone out in FA and got a young up and coming guard. We always get oft injured, over the hill, back end of their career cast offs (i.e. Pugh, Hernandez, Iupati, etc...)
Those don't exist as frequently as we think they do.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can see him jumping Drake to be the #2 QB off the board.
The NFL loves NFL pedigree. If Sanders keeps up his play, he’ll be right there at the top.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson