Quick Thoughts on 2024 Draft

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then they wouldn't want to give us much for Kyler, right?
Look at what Stafford got. I would think Kyler if he shows up could get close to that amount, at the very least.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Look at what Stafford got. I would think Kyler if he shows up could get close to that amount, at the very least.
I dunno. That's a pretty unique situation, because the Lions were also taking on Goff's albatross of a contract in that transaction. In that deal, Detroit got a third + two future firsts + Goff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price ends up being similar to what the Eagles got when they traded Carwon Wentz to the Colts (immediate 3rd and future first). #montiball

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. That's a pretty unique situation, because the Lions were also taking on Goff's albatross of a contract in that transaction. In that deal, Detroit got a third + two future firsts + Goff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price ends up being similar to what the Eagles got when they traded Carwon Wentz to the Colts (immediate 3rd and future first). #montiball
A lot of it is speculation, but it only takes one person to fall in love. If anything, Goff is showing that this trade, and his contract, aren't that bad anymore...

I really want Kyler to show he can be the dude, and we use all of that draft equity we earned last year and will likely have this year to parlay that into a team that can truly compete.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I've tried to consider what Kyler is worth. Sure he has a big contract, but the signing bonus wouldn't be traded, so he'd be a decent cap value.
As I've said before... I have a hard time imagining Murray playing poorly enough that the Cardinals want to trade him, but also well enough that another team would be willing to give up draft picks for this "value":

In 2024 Murray's salary will be $37M + $1M workout bonus + $850K/game roster bonus = $52.45 million. In 2025 it totals $46.2M. the 2026 total is $54.3M.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As I've said before... I have a hard time imagining Murray playing poorly enough that the Cardinals want to trade him, but also well enough that another team would be willing to give up draft picks for this "value":

In 2024 Murray's salary will be $37M + $1M workout bonus + $850K/game roster bonus = $52.45 million. In 2025 it totals $46.2M. the 2026 total is $54.3M.
It's not just that -- it's also the rolling guarantees in the contract. Through 2027 the contract guarantees at least some of Kyler's salary for the next year at the beginning of the league year. For example, on March 22, 2024, Kyler's 2025 $18 million salary and $11.9 million roster bonus becomes guaranteed.

The team trading for Kyler has to be willing to commit to him (or to tanking) for three years. It really inhibits who might be interested.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Honestly I've tried to consider what Kyler is worth. Sure he has a big contract, but the signing bonus wouldn't be traded, so he'd be a decent cap value.

All it would take is for multiple QB needy teams to want him for a decent bidding war to start. Atlanta, Tennessee, and a few other teams have huge holes at QB and Kyler would be a massive upgrade.
I think he’d be too pricey to cause a war, but there would be some interest if he plays decently when he returns.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

If I was a betting man, I would bet that the statements the Cardinals have made about Murray are legitimate and they aren't really considering trading him.

Murray can be a top ten QB and the 2024 draft picks could really fit out the roster around Murray. An OL with Fashanu and PJJ as it's bookends, with MHJ as the primary target is a great start. If Wilson works out, the Cardinals would have the makings of an explosive offense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's not just that -- it's also the rolling guarantees in the contract. Through 2027 the contract guarantees at least some of Kyler's salary for the next year at the beginning of the league year. For example, on March 22, 2024, Kyler's 2025 $18 million salary and $11.9 million roster bonus becomes guaranteed.

The team trading for Kyler has to be willing to commit to him (or to tanking) for three years. It really inhibits who might be interested.

The team that trades for him can cut him after two years. Yeah it’s a chunk of dead cash but it’s still much lower than what his cap hit would be in 2026 (if things go south that is). If Kyler doesn’t play this year and is healthy going into next year I see multiple teams taking a shot on him for a day two pick.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If I was a betting man, I would bet that the statements the Cardinals have made about Murray are legitimate and they aren't really considering trading him.

Murray can be a top ten QB and the 2024 draft picks could really fit out the roster around Murray. An OL with Fashanu and PJJ as it's bookends, with MHJ as the primary target is a great start. If Wilson works out, the Cardinals would have the makings of an explosive offense.

If I’m the GM and know the plan is to move on from Kyler I’d make him a captain and say everything they’ve said so far. The last regime did a bad enough job depreciating their asset in the public eye.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The team that trades for him can cut him after two years. Yeah it’s a chunk of dead cash but it’s still much lower than what his cap hit would be in 2026 (if things go south that is). If Kyler doesn’t play this year and is healthy going into next year I see multiple teams taking a shot on him for a day two pick.
Oof.

It’s not just dead cap—it’s paying someone not to play. Maybe there’s an offset involved, but you’re making a three-year commitment if you’re trading for him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oof.

It’s not just dead cap—it’s paying someone not to play. Maybe there’s an offset involved, but you’re making a three-year commitment if you’re trading for him.

That’s the NFL. You have a plan and move on if it doesn’t work. That’s why 8 teams have over $40m of dead cap of paying players not to play.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That’s the NFL. You have a plan and move on if it doesn’t work. That’s why 8 teams have over $40m of dead cap of paying players not to play.
That’s not what dead cap means most of the time. Dead cap is usually accelerated signing bonus.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That’s not what dead cap means most of the time. Dead cap is usually accelerated signing bonus.
Dead cap is usually the term used for paying players no longer on your team.
Accelerated bonus is just part of cap hit with a guys salary

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
he NFL term "dead money" is when part of the salary cap that an NFL team has is going towards a player that no longer plays for the franchise. For example, if the Cowboys sign Dak Prescott to a new deal that is only two years and that two years has a $10 million dollar signing bonus which is prorated over the two year length.

If the Dallas Cowboys release Dak after the first year because he was not performing, they would still be responsible for the second half of that $10 million dollars on their salary cap. Which brings the term "dead money" because its just sitting there dead and not being of any use.