Quick Thoughts on 2024 Draft

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too early on Shadeur for me, a ton of dink and dunking in that offense, but he's been awfully good. The interesting thing is he doesn't run much and when he does, not very effectively. Considering how remarkable a runner Deion was it's surprising his son doesn't seem to be that fast but it's also good that he's not dependent on running to be effective.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's too early on Shadeur for me, a ton of dink and dunking in that offense, but he's been awfully good. The interesting thing is he doesn't run much and when he does, not very effectively. Considering how remarkable a runner Deion was it's surprising his son doesn't seem to be that fast but it's also good that he's not dependent on running to be effective.
I do need to see him throw more tight window throws. Half of his sacks are from holding the football too long instead of making a throw with anticipation.

However, thats to be expected with the leap in level of play. He needs to figure that by the time they play Oregon though.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The QB pool looks astonishingly better than expected. Although it was expected to be excellent at the top, the depth is looking impressive. If the draft were held today 5 or more QBs might go in round 1. Scouts are already saying young Closely following is the OT position. Again it’s looking like 5 or more first rounders. WR looks strong with Harrison looking the best in years. If the Cards have the first pick and don’t need Williams they should not make any trade that risks not getting Harrison. BTW, Maye figures to be a long time, quality NFL starter. That said, Williams is extraordinary. He’s Murray with more running strength and an even more powerful arm. There is no recent comparison. He’s a phenomenal athlete.

The DLs look better than last season with several quality Edges and this time 3-4 round one inside DLs.
Agreed.

Caleb is generational. Tank for Caleb. I'll command the tank, what are we working with?

M1a1 in some sand?
Maybe a Panzer in reverse after Kursk?
T-90 in Donbass?
Little Sherman on Okinawa?

Not playing Kyler and preserving him for trade bait is a real possibility

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.

Caleb is generational. Tank for Caleb. I'll command the tank, what are we working with?

M1a1 in some sand?
Maybe a Panzer in reverse after Kursk?
T-90 in Donbass?
Little Sherman on Okinawa?

Not playing Kyler and preserving him for trade bait is a real possibility
If Kyler doesn't play I would think that his trade value goes down, way down.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
The QB pool looks astonishingly better than expected. Although it was expected to be excellent at the top, the depth is looking impressive. If the draft were held today 5 or more QBs might go in round 1. Scouts are already saying young Closely following is the OT position. Again it’s looking like 5 or more first rounders. WR looks strong with Harrison looking the best in years. If the Cards have the first pick and don’t need Williams they should not make any trade that risks not getting Harrison. BTW, Maye figures to be a long time, quality NFL starter. That said, Williams is extraordinary. He’s Murray with more running strength and an even more powerful arm. There is no recent comparison. He’s a phenomenal athlete.

The DLs look better than last season with several quality Edges and this time 3-4 round one inside DLs.
Maye is the better "NFL" QB prospect. Williams has that entitled bug like Murray did/does and is not much taller. Also it seems Williams has a LaVar Ball type Dad spewing bs with media already dissing on AZ

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any thoughts of trading out of both the 1 and 2, if we and the Texans have the worse records? Wonder what we could get for those 2 picks? I am not advocating this just curious

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any thoughts of trading out of both the 1 and 2, if we and the Texans have the worse records? Wonder what we could get for those 2 picks? I am not advocating this just curious
I wouldn't advocate it, but a very interesting idea.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If they get the first pick it would be worth 3 number one based on Williams. If they had the top 2 the second would likely fetch 2 number ones and a third.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It all depends on what they do with Murray. If they stay with Murray then trading the top two picks to QB needy teams can get them a proverbial cornucopia of picks. Chicago could be one of those QB needy teams which would still position the Cardinals to select a player like Harrison should Chicago want to move up.

If they decide to move on from Murray, then I think they would keep the top pick to select a QB and trade out of the number two spot. Of course they would garner additional picks from the Murray trade giving Monti a lot of flexibility to move around in the draft and pick up additional selections.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it on the 1st page. If the Cards are as happy with Kyler going forward, as Gannon has been publicly, it is what I'd do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would a team trade for a guy coming off a serious injury, especially a running QB? With visions of Aaron Rodgers dancing in their head.
Because their options are limited?

They won't be bad enough to draft most of the top guys in the draft without giving up way too much draft capital. 2nd tier guys (if we want to call them that) may not be ready before their window closes. The may not like the free agent choices available. etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is from an article in The Athletic on an early 2024 draft top 10 list.

You must be registered for see images attach
If fields stinks this year does Chicago trade up for #1 or #2? Do they have the assets to do so?

KiwiCard

Veteran
Reaction score
If fields stinks this year does Chicago trade up for #1 or #2? Do they have the assets to do so?

They have their own first and the panthers first this year and all future 1sts and 2nds + Panthers 25' 2nd I believe. They could be a suitable trade partner for the Cards (trade out of the 1 or 2 for their 1st, panthers 1st + more), resulting in 3 first rounders this year. Would want to be certain they are picking QB and not MHJ. If we could come out of the first round with MHJ, Fashanu and a 1st round D Lineman or CB plus assets that would be one heck of a boost this roster needs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because their options are limited?

They won't be bad enough to draft most of the top guys in the draft without giving up way too much draft capital. 2nd tier guys (if we want to call them that) may not be ready before their window closes. The may not like the free agent choices available. etc.
Then they wouldn't want to give us much for Kyler, right?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They have their own first and the panthers first this year and all future 1sts and 2nds + Panthers 25' 2nd I believe. They could be a suitable trade partner for the Cards (trade out of the 1 or 2 for their 1st, panthers 1st + more), resulting in 3 first rounders this year. Would want to be certain they are picking QB and not MHJ. If we could come out of the first round with MHJ, Fashanu and a 1st round D Lineman or CB plus assets that would be one heck of a boost this roster needs.
No one trades that much for any receiver. No one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Then they wouldn't want to give us much for Kyler, right?
Honestly I've tried to consider what Kyler is worth. Sure he has a big contract, but the signing bonus wouldn't be traded, so he'd be a decent cap value.

All it would take is for multiple QB needy teams to want him for a decent bidding war to start. Atlanta, Tennessee, and a few other teams have huge holes at QB and Kyler would be a massive upgrade.